1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I’ve often thought of what it would be like to go to one of these academy’s or classes that offer combat shooting centered around the 1911 or even the Glock. I’ve read about some of them as you all have too and they all look interesting and fun to do. I don’t know how you’d choose one though.

So, if you had the choice to attend any class or training facility for their Handgun Shooting, CCW, or other related disciplines, which one would you pick and why?

I’d like to go to the handgun class that was offered by Navy Seal Don Shipley (the guy that busts the fake SEALs) and taught by his retired Master Chief with a few other guys dropping in for pointers. I don’t know whether he has it any longer though.

If you watched the show on Discovery or A&E about the SEALs quite a while back, the guy that talked about his time in Vietnam and then training SEALs, that has the cool looking handlebar mustache, that’s the guy Shipley had teaching it.

What’s your choice?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a lifetime membership at Front Sight where the training is great. They offer dozens of classes. My favorite is the 4 day defensive handgun class. Frontsight.com PM me if you want some insider info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Christ is my front sight.
811 Posts
Taken class at Shootrite firearms academy, home of Tiger McKee. Great training, and Tiger is a very good instructor. A true “martial artist” at what he does. Been wanting to go back again just haven’t been able to make it happen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hard choice and strongly dependent on what you want to learn.

Defensive handgun shooting:
Rogers School, Gunsite, and many other Tier 1 schools

Broad Defensive use of a firearm and all the legal and ethical issues that entails: Mas Ayoob

Real-world self defense: A school that does force-on-force training with simulated encounters, simunitions, and physical contact.

IMO, most of the skills taught at “shooting schools” are low on the self defense priority list given the nature of probable violent encounters between civilians.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Thunder Ranch & Gunsite are both high on my list of priorities.

Front Sight is a place I will avoid.
^^^^This^^^^

Dubs put it nicely. Classy guy that Dubs, Front site is no bueño. Do some research.

Shot a local carbine class this evening with a really great instructor from a competition background. One of the regular students is a retired Nam Vet that has been to Thunder Ranch twice and is going back after the first of the year. He says that the instruction is second to none but to avoid the beginner classes if you are a regular shooter. Start with Defensive Pistol 2. This is technically hearsay but I trust his opinion. If Clint owns the joint and Jason freakin Burton teaches there, good enough for me.

Edit to add: http://www.dianahsieh.com/frontsight/

I'm not looking for training from some cult leader, Tom cruise wannabe that thinks he's Neo.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Thunder Ranch & Gunsite are both high on my list of priorities.

Front Sight is a place I will avoid.
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
786 Posts
I’ve been to a bunch of them over the years. For a great vacation and school, my vote goes to Shaw Shooting. Great instructor and spectacular facility. You can’t go wrong with any of the big names, aside from front sight. But it’s not a big name for positive things.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ever go out to the Linden Gun Range? They have classes from time to time.
They host classes.
No I haven’t been out to Linden. I looked into USPSA shoots there. I was interested in getting into competition but I’ve not yet done so. I’ve struggled to find the time. I’ve trained with GrayOps at Sac Valley a few times. I will have to look into Linden’s offerings. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would like to hit Gunsite at some point. The history associated with the place in addition to the training would be a fun experience. A plus of the whole thing would be swinging by Ted's shop and actually speaking to the man in person.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts