If You Could Have any Semi-Custom for CARRY...What Would it Be and Why?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nalajr, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I've been thinking about all the different 1911's out there available to the Fraternity of GUN NUTS.....and the possibility of getting my first really nice 1911 sometime this year, and I thought I'd pose a question to you all.

If you could HAVE any 1911 to CARRY and USE, in any frame size or material, in any caliber, that's made by the semi-custom houses like Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, Brown and any others that I left out by mistake, which one would you pick and why? If you've been fortunate enough to already own it...please tell us and if possible, show it.

I go back and forth on this as each visit to one of their websites makes me change my mind. It would be hard to NOT pick something by Wilson like the Ultralight Carry Commander Compact or like the X-Tac Elite Carry Comp. Then I look at the Baer Thunder Ranch, which I have always really liked or the Brown CCO Lightweight in 9mm. That one is a really nice looking 1911.
    But I wouldn't mind having a Dan Wesson Valkyrie at all.

So many choices.....too small of a bank account...

I've thought of selling some of my other firearms and putting the money towards a really nice 1911 in the philosophy of it's better to have a few VERY nice pistols...than a bunch of pretty good ones.
    Any thoughts on that philosophy?

Thank you all for your time and help.
    Larry

2. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I'll stick with the Wilson CQB Compact .38 super that I've carried for about 4 years now. It's 9+1 of a very effective caliber in a package that's small enough to carry very comfortably but still big enough to shoot well, and it's been utterly reliable through 4 defensive pistol classes. I just stood up and took it out of the holster to snap this pic. :)

thumbnail_IMG_0818.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

3. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Have a Wilson ULCC that I carry. In all honestly I prefer my DW Valkyrie to it less money just as reliable with a Much better finish for carry. Triggers and accuracy are about the same. If your going to buy an Ed brown save your money buy a DW the difference between them isn’t a whole lot. In 9mm the DW is better IMO as it has a ramped barrel. If you have to have a semi custom get a NH t4 or a GI CCO

razorbacker, Loaded, Dwe and 8 others like this.
  4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I have a number of nice to great 1911's, including a couple Wilson guns.
    The one I end up carrying most is a 9mm DW "Vigil", which was a third to fifth the cost of some of my guns.
    It is acceptably accurate, has Melonite finish on slide, is composed of good parts.

[​IMG]

5. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    My daily carry varies but it is always a Wilson. They are my most reliable and accurate carry guns.

Babboonbobo, BigJimP and boatdoc like this.
  6. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    WC EDCX9 ..light, full 10 round magazine. easy to point and shoot

RSCamaro, Loaded, Hacker and 2 others like this.
  7. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    My regular carry gun is a custom Colt Wiley Clapp Commander, it's perfect for the purpose and I had it built specifically to be my EDC gun. However, if I was going to choose a "semi-custom" out of my inventory for everyday use, it would probably be my Baer Hemi.
    [​IMG]

8. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    NHC T4 is one of my favorites 20181229_151127.jpg

cgff, 45ACP_ray, Loaded and 14 others like this.
  9. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Good looking gun.....;)

Loaded and WC145 like this.
  10. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd have picked the Boss but it just looks too damn good now to mess it up if I don't have to.

Loaded likes this.
  11. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    It is smooth now.... that's for sure. Glad to see her in person after botox.

WC145 likes this.
  12. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I'm satisfied carrying my 38Superb Guardian that also unmasks occasionally as 9mm to unload mass quantities of cheap practice rounds.

Mr. Knight likes this.
  13. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Its typically my T3
    _20190106_163348.jpg

45ACP_ray, ronin11, FWoo45 and 6 others like this.
  14. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    My usual carry was my ACW Prime.
    upload_2019-3-18_9-35-12.jpeg
    That was up until a recent surgery, currently my CCW is a G36 I will soon be moving back to my
    Alchemy Prime within another 4 weeks. The surgery/pistol weight and lack of a nice OWB holster was my moving to the G36 for CCW temporarily.
    The thinking of a few nice pistols as compared to many good pistols is where I was a few years ago. The consolidation took a little time but was well worth it.
    If I was to go 1911 for CCW I would look real hard at an ACW Brimestone
    Or contact one of the Smiths on this board and see what’s available in there Q.

45ACP_ray, 41 Charlie, Loaded and 9 others like this.
  15. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    Wilson ULCC

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Ken Gallagher

Ken Gallagher Active Member

May 17, 2015
    E08FA208-8CC8-4F39-8263-CF4AC1A22C20.jpeg 714A13C6-BF47-4C26-BA0E-0E18573A866C.jpeg Wilson Combat, Super Sentinel (.38 Super, if your not familiar with it)! Compact 1911, 30.9 Oz loaded, reliable, accurate and hits hard for a small frame gun. My EDC!!

17. WoodrowAugustus

WoodrowAugustus Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    If I'm buying then a DW Guardian in 38 Super. If I get to pick anything then a NHC Border Special in 38 Super with hard chrome or DLC.

Musts - commander framed, bobtail or rounded butt, 38 Super, durable finish. Nice to haves -gold bead sight, slide top treatment, carry cuts.

Journeyman1234 and InstiGator like this.
  18. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    My choice to awhile to formulate. Quite a bit of back and forth between one brand or another. The "hand fit" of the Baers to me made the most difference. But once I made the decision to look for a really early Baer Thunder Ranch Special, I made it happen. I did change out the sights and stocks, installed an arched mainspring housing (reinstalled the original flat one just last week) to make it "Mine".
    IMG_0022 copy 2.JPG

45ACP_ray, Loaded, ronin11 and 8 others like this.
  19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    For EDC ,I find my Ed Brown Kobra Carry one of my favorites
    extremely accurate and has functioned flawlessly.

7F38760B-AEDA-4689-B216-743D57126E7F.jpeg
    In rotation with my Les Baers

20. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    Hard to beat a Dan Wesson of some sort for the money. Although if you have the means or are willing to horse trade to get something like a Wilson etc, I would probably go that route.

razorbacker, InstiGator and tac45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted