1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
3,666 Posts
“I've seen plenty on this forum who love making sure everyone else knows they have multiple $3K+ pistols. High dollar items, whether they be 1911s, cars, watches, jewelry, etc. can definitely represent nicer, high quality items. But lots of folks buy them to flaunt their ability to spend more on items than lesser fortunate folks. I've seen signatures here that include a list of pistols totaling over $50K. Why do you think that is?”

when I raised my children a told them from the time they could comprehend that life was not fair. I told them they needed to work to get what they wanted. I have 4 industrious children that never cry foul when someone else accomplishes something. They know they need to work hard to accomplish their dreams. They received participation trophies when they were younger and I told them it was fine but the best players need special attention.

I do not advocate flaunting anything. Quiet success is best. Not sure why people do it. Maybe they are insecure. However no one else needs to get their underwear in a bundle. Just go get it and do what it takes. That is the dream my parents gave me.

be happy someone reached their goals and they will be happy for you.
First of all welcome to the forum.
Secondly I think that a lot of people tend to think if someone has a lot of money or lots of toys they do it to seek approval or attention of others . It falls into the “that guy drives a Porsche because he is making up for shortcoming elsewhere “ mentality . I do not subscribe to this idea and it is far too easy of an explanation . In reality that person probably doesnt give two sh$ts what someone else thinks of them and may have an appreciation for german engineering and what the best tool for the task at hand.
This can be applied to watches, firearms , knives etc.
I think most of the members of this forum have an appreciation for fine craftsmanship of higher end well fit mechanical objects - namely 1911s .
I dont think anyone is trying to flaunt anything here it is just that we all appreciate the pistols and love pics and fine details of something we all enjoy.
I just think some of us are fancy animals is all 😁

·
Premium Member
32,903 Posts
One must remember, the main purpose of a forum is sharing information.
Part of sharing is seeing and sharing what weapon works for you.
When I see a pistol I dont have, I don’t automatically think he/she is trying to show me up.
I think of what I have that can fill the same role that pistol does for Bob/Bill/George.

It’s not about showing others up, it’s about showing others. I learn something here EVERY DAY.
I appreciate most here more that most everyone can even fathom. I even learn from @tac45

·
Registered
10 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum.
Secondly I think that a lot of people tend to think if someone has a lot of money or lots of toys they do it to seek approval or attention of others . It falls into the “that guy drives a Porsche because he is making up for shortcoming elsewhere “ mentality . I do not subscribe to this idea and it is far too easy of an explanation . In reality that person probably doesnt give two sh$ts what someone else thinks of them and may have an appreciation for german engineering and what the best tool for the task at hand.
This can be applied to watches, firearms , knives etc.
I think most of the members of this forum have an appreciation for fine craftsmanship of higher end well fit mechanical objects - namely 1911s .
I dont think anyone is trying to flaunt anything here it is just that we all appreciate the pistols and love pics and fine details of something we all enjoy.
I just think some of us are fancy animals is all 😁
Thanks for the welcome note. I read a lot and comment little. Enjoy the thread

Reactions: Dwvalor

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Kind of a harsh rebuke.

I've seen plenty on this forum who love making sure everyone else knows they have multiple $3K+ pistols. High dollar items, whether they be 1911s, cars, watches, jewelry, etc. can definitely represent nicer, high quality items. But lots of folks buy them to flaunt their ability to spend more on items than lesser fortunate folks. I've seen signatures here that include a list of pistols totaling over $50K. Why do you think that is?

So if Quickish feels they can purchase pistols under $3K that suit their needs, why get down on them?
I’m fortunate enough to own well over a hundred $3000+ pistols, with some being worth several times that. So be it. I like handguns and my hard work has given me that opportunity. I enjoy sharing and helping others spend their money. ;)

To the contrary, why knock another person’s choice to spend $3000 on a pistol? Quickish need not have bothered posting in this thread if he feels so strongly about it.

·
What me worry ?
14,890 Posts
One must remember, the main purpose of a forum is sharing information.
Part of sharing is seeing and sharing what weapon works for you.
When I see a pistol I dont have, I don’t automatically think he/she is trying to show me up.
I think of what I have that can fill the same role that pistol does for Bob/Bill/George.

It’s not about showing others up, it’s about showing others. I learn something here EVERY DAY.
I appreciate most here more that most everyone can even fathom. I even learn from @tac45
Forehead Nose Head Chin Primate

Cartoon Gesture Art Font Rectangle

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I would buy a HK P7 as suggested earlier if maintaining value is a requirement. No way you lose money on one of those if you choose wisely. If I wanted to buy the best shooter, for me it would be a used 1911 from Les Baer, Nighthawk or Alchemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you could only buy 1 "higher end" pistol, which would it be?

Requirements are:
-Must be 9mm
-Not a micro pistol, but can be SC
-No more than $3,000 so everyone doesn't say Alien or Nighthawk =p

-Will likely not go down in value

After careful consideration of the question at hand...
ONLY 1x9mm< or =$3,000 =X (solve for X)

"only" determines the equation defunct. The Forum term "addicts" overrides phrases in equations.
To an addict, a finite quantity of pistols is not in the realm of reason. 1, 2, 10,000 suggests there is a quantity that might render an addict, no longer an addict. For the longevity of this forum, such options are not to be considered.

As such:
We, addicts don't use math equations to justify our pistol purchases. Mere logic does not compute. We utilize higher forms of reason.
When broken down properly the question is a series of questions:
-Only 1 High end pistol
-Must be 9mm
-not a micro pistol but, can be SC
-no more than $3,000

These questions are then answered with forum member's preferences and likely commentary:
for example:
-Only 1 High end pistol = Guncrafter Model 2, 50 GI ('cause I don't equate "high end" and 9mm together)
-Must be 9mm = Glock G17 (save your spare $ for 1911's in 45 ACP or larger calibers)
-not a micro pistol but, can be SC = Ned Christiansen built commander in 45 ACP
-no more than $3,000 = Nighthawk Chairman (stay with me here, this is where addicts shine) Send $3,000 when you order the pistol. When it is finished and ready to ship, pay the balance. For purposes of this example we will use $2,000 as the balance remaining. With the two months you waited for the pistol the downpayment no longer counts so, we have come in $1,000 under budget. (you're welcome)
-Will likely not go down in value = (Colt SAA)

In summary:
We have answered your question, considered all points and determined we can end the conversation with solid justification for 5 pistols.

Welcome to the forum.

TC

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
If you could only buy 1 "higher end" pistol, which would it be?

Requirements are:
-Must be 9mm
-Not a micro pistol, but can be SC
-No more than $3,000 so everyone doesn't say Alien or Nighthawk =p

After careful consideration of the question at hand...
ONLY 1x9mm< or =$3,000 =X (solve for X)

"only" determines the equation defunct. The Forum term "addicts" overrides phrases in equations.
To an addict, a finite quantity of pistols is not in the realm of reason. 1, 2, 10,000 suggests there is a quantity that might render an addict, no longer an addict. For the longevity of this forum, such options are not to be considered.

As such:
We, addicts don't use math equations to justify our pistol purchases. Mere logic does not compute. We utilize higher forms of reason.
When broken down properly the question is a series of questions:
-Only 1 High end pistol
-Must be 9mm
-not a micro pistol but, can be SC
-no more than $3,000

These questions are then answered with forum member's preferences and likely commentary:
for example:
-Only 1 High end pistol = Guncrafter Model 2, 50 GI ('cause I don't equate "high end" and 9mm together)
-Must be 9mm = Glock G17 (save your spare $ for 1911's in 45 ACP or larger calibers)
-not a micro pistol but, can be SC = Ned Christiansen built commander in 45 ACP
-no more than $3,000 = Nighthawk Chairman (stay with me here, this is where addicts shine) Send $3,000 when you order the pistol. When it is finished and ready to ship, pay the balance. For purposes of this example we will use $2,000 as the balance remaining. With the two months you waited for the pistol the downpayment no longer counts so, we have come in $1,000 under budget. (you're welcome)
-Will likely not go down in value = (Colt SAA)

In summary:
We have answered your question, considered all points and determined we can end the conversation with solid justification for 5 pistols.

Welcome to the forum.

TC
There's always 1 in every crowd. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased a Wilson Combat Stealth 45 acp on GB. It was used but relatively new. I have been impressed how well I can shoot it and how nice it feels. So far, that has been my fancy go to pistol. I would like to own a supergrade but not sure I would ever shoot it. Just a wish list item.

Reactions: TacticalSpeed

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’ll be the contrarian - HK USP 9mm Expert. To me, there’s pretty much every gun under $1500, then a void between $1501 and $3500, especially without actual custom work (not just checkbox options). I’m clearly generalizing here, but those are the tiers to me.

There are a lot of similarities between the price points of guns and watches, and who they’re geared towards.

Personally, I’d rather buy a $900 gun and put $2100 in custom work into it than buy something factory at that price point. Used Nighthawks and Wilsons seem to hold their value pretty well if you didn’t order a lot of checkbox “custom” work - just like Tag and Rolex watches.

The only “factory” handgun I’ll spend more than $1500 on is a used semi-custom like Wilson or Nighthawk because they do retain their value pretty well and come up for sale often enough that there’s really no reason for me to buy new. Next you’re talking $5,000 handguns and personally I’d never pay that for anything from Wilson, Nighthawk, etc. though their newer stuff is getting pretty close. At $5000 you might as well start considering full-custom if you have the patience.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts