1911 Firearm Addicts banner

How should I spend $4k?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Atlas Hyperion, Fowler Industries Vanta 9, Wilson Combat CQB, Ed Brown Kobra Carry
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty set on getting a double stack 1911 or a 2011 as my next gun and all these nice guns on sale in the classifieds are really tempting. Primary use for this gun would be for range use and home defense. I probably won't have time/energy to compete for a while due to young kids, but never say never right?

I currently have a Wilson CQB and an Ed Brown KC. This would not be a carry gun, I will probably pick up something else more compact for EDC later.

So my fellow Addicts, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
While I realize the other pistols are much better options I think the Staccato with the remaining cash going to a training class would be the better choice. You can always learn something new.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i "would like" to keep all my gun purchases under the $1600.00 point if i can. that being said, the one more 1911 i'd like to have is a blued Standard Mfg 1911, which right now, they haven't any available for sale.

then with the remaining monies, invest that into more reloading dies, components, maybe even another press.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ACW Quantico Hi-Cap. I have the Quantico single stack as I am not a fan of the double stack due to the added size to the grip. With that said, I did have the opportunity to handle the double stack version. It was surprisingly comfortable and did not have that bulky feel like some other double stacks. I to though am bias to ACW.

·
born in the wrong century
8,959 Posts
I only have experience with one of the models listed, the P (DPO version).

It's been a highly accurate flawless performer for me.

Zero complaints other than the blunt edges on their safeties. After this was addressed my satisfaction with the gun was very high. This issue is well known to the folks at Staccato. It needs to be addressed. No excuse for a $2.5K handgun to have such poor choice of parts sourcing.

So....go in warned that you'll likely be wanting to replace the thumb safeties.

Now....had you listed an ACW Quantico single stack .45 I would have voted for that one.....with rds 🔴 cut.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Im with @Merton , 2011s just dont resonate with me. Ive tried, but I just dont get them.
That said, I voted for the ACW. That is the only one on your list that I would consider an "heirloom" handgun.

ACW's are a gun that could be passed down to family for generations and always be recognized as a crafted piece of family history.

If my Dad passed down a 1911 that his father had carried, I would cherish that gun beyond words. I have a victrola that my great grandfather built. Im in my 40's and wouldnt sell that thing for any amount of money.

Well......there is definitly an amount of money;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd call Colt, go to the Custom Shop, and tell them I want a Combat Unit Railgun with a reliability job (I think they come with one from the factory anyway but can't hurt to specify), Chen magwell, Chen grip and thumb safties, dehorn job, Chen night sights, finished in a polished flats blue DLC. Hard use meets functional meets pretty. Hell...maybe even order one in 38 Super, since as far as I know they never offered it in that caliber to the public..

·
Registered
Atlas Hyperion, Fowler Industries Vanta 9, Wilson Combat CQB, Ed Brown Kobra Carry
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
with a reread (on my first cup of coffee) WC SFX9 4” and the rest in ammunition, with this it could serve triple duty. range home & CCW.
I was definitely looking at the SFX9, but there doesn't seem to be any for sale at the moment :(

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I have the Stacatto P Duo, it’s a decent gun out of the box however it’s a production 2011. I’ve had Jardine go through the gun & given the other choices I’d choose something else over it.

1st choice would be the Fowler- it’s really well built & a sweet shooter.

2nd choice would be the quantico- again it’s far superior over the Stacatto as you’d expect from a semi custom compared to a production gun.

Full disclosure I’ve handled and shot all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Whiten and Dub
1 - 20 of 67 Posts