1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check these guys out - http://www.anf-advantage.com/1911-G...with-Spring-Plug-and-Bushing-Wrench_p_51.html.

I like FLGRs, my guns cycle smoother with them and I normally buy Wilson's version because it's one piece and a little shorter so you can depress the recoil spring plug and turn the barrel bushing for field stripping. The only problem is they only come in bare stainless. I put one in my black Ionbond DLC Colt a while after it was done and loved the smoothness but hated the silver spot on the muzzle of the otherwise black gun. I looked into having the FLGR and bushing coated by Ionbond to match the gun and it was going to be like $40 plus shipping to an agent, considered cerakote but still would have had to send it out plus whatever the cost to coat it would be. The expense wasn't such a big deal but the pain in the ass factor was.

I had pretty much settled on living with it when I ran across this blackened stainless FLGR and plug from American National Firearms. I checked with the company, they manufacture the parts here in the USA and have it coated with a finish "similar to the Tenifer used on Glocks. It is very hard and will shine up and get smoother on the wearing surfaces with use, working even better. It holds up very well." per Zach, who apparently runs the place. My impression is that part fits perfectly, functions exactly as it should, is short enough depress the plug so you can turn the bushing for field stripping, and has a smooth, uniform black finish.

I know it's a small thing but it finishes off my gun exactly how I want it and it was just $28 with free shipping (took 3 days to get it) and they throw in an aluminum bushing wrench. They also make guide rods for pistols from Beretta, SIG, Kel-tec, Ruger, Glock, plus some other parts and tools. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
That is outstanding, what a high polish, looks like bluing but with the advantages of the other. Spectacular. Congratulations on a beautiful 1911

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You might want to buy a second holy plug for it by the way. There is no standard on FLGRs. I found this out years ago when a friend lost one in the weeds at the range on his S&W 1911 and I had a spare for my XSE Colt. It would not fit.

Got home and measured the diameter on my Colts, Kimbers, S&Ws, Taurus and a few other brands of 1911s I bought with FLGRs. I do not like FLGRs but leave them in a 1911 if they are factory and the gun is a range toy. Got diameters of the rods from .317 inch to .328 inch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts