1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been curious for awhile about this question.

If you were a LE Officer and could carry any duty weapon and caliber that you wanted to, what would it be? I'm speaking about an average officer that works all hours, day or night, and has to carry with him/her everyday per shift all shift long.

And let's say that your town/city is a large city say 100,000 + people.

Bet there's going to be a lot of answers to this!

BCD 45

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
With a City that size backup is likely not far off. It makes needing a ton of rounds less likely.

I genuinely am not sure what I would choose. I’ve only ever worked rural. Backup 30 minutes to an hour away and usually working a shift with one other guy makes me comfortable with the GLOCK 22 and multiple mags. Though, I would prefer the slightly smaller G23, as I shoot it better.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That G22 is a nice working firearm no doubt. I figure most of the answers to be Glock & Sig Sauer coming in 2nd, but who knows. I myself go for HK's because I've carried one so long but they can get a little heavy.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I'm reasonably fond of the G23 we are issued. If I had the choice I'd go with a G22 though, just because the finger grooves on the full size grip frame are spaced better for me and I have to watch not to pinch my hand during reloads on the G23.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I'm old enough to have been issued a revolver in .38 special. I'm going to get hooted down for this, but I'd go back to a revolver, just a different caliber.
Well I'm not all that old, but I'm with you on a revolver. I'd rock a 6" 686. 357 is still one of the best calibers out there and you know that S&W is going to go off every time you pull the trigger. I'd be willing to put in the time and effort to carry something I like that is perhaps a little less practical.

·
Fondle his Baer
338 Posts
Being LEO having worked a station covering City and Rural in the 5th most populated county, my beat alone had over 100,000k. 9 years in the same area working a car.

I highly doubt population would effect my choice. Back up could be close but how many rounds could be fired in 2-5 min? Rural or City I would choose a Glock. Likely a 17 or a 22. Carried the 22 and broke a lot of parts. Often in training but glad i wasn’t in a gun fight to break one. Caliber has little sway for me as a 9mm with today’s ammunition is very competitive against the .40. I also trust my shooting for shot placement.

Still love my 1911s but for an oh ****, no thinking needed gun, Glock.

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
541 Posts
I've never been a police officer but a 4" SIG MPX copperhead (I'd love to see this in 357SIG) in 9mm would be my choice. If you have had the pleasure of shooting one you know, it is nearly impossible to miss shots with it. Carry it on a sling, even seated in a car - it is light, maneuverable and with 30 rds - you bring your own back-up.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I've never been a police officer but a 4" SIG MPX copperhead (I'd love to see this in 357SIG) in 9mm would be my choice. If you have had the pleasure of shooting one you know, it is nearly impossible to miss shots with it. Carry it on a sling, even seated in a car - it is light, maneuverable and with 30 rds - you bring your own back-up.
Well if we're talkin sub guns, I want a PPS-43! 7.62 Tok is a solid caliber, 35 round mag with a controllable rate of fire and folding stock for easy use in a car. Now that's something you don't see very often, huh?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are many great duty guns out there in addition to Glocks, Sig's, & HK's. To name a few, Walther, Beretta, FN's, etc. I've already stated that my personal preference would be HK. To be exact, a HK P2000 FS in 357 Sig. I've had G31's & G32's but I'll stick with my HK P2000 357 Sig with a "LEM" trigger.

I've been a huge fan of the 357 Sig ever since it's introduction. The Texas State Highway Patrol were issued Sig's in 357 Sig and compiled an impressive record of penetrating barriers and of stopping power. Many other calibers are great also I just fell in love with the 357 Sig long ago.

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. The one & only reason for even stating a city's size or population is that I know someone would have said that it would depend on a rural city or a big city. Have a great day folks!

BCD 45
Texas

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
541 Posts
Well if we're talkin sub guns, I want a PPS-43! 7.62 Tok is a solid caliber, 35 round mag with a controllable rate of fire and folding stock for easy use in a car. Now that's something you don't see very often, huh?
This is very disappointing, for a 1911 forum...
I know, I know, was trying to think out of the box, mostly due to the difficulty drawing a pistol while seated in a patrol car and the disturbing number of police ambushes in the last few years. Heck yeah, select fire, keep the 7.62 shorty and make it 300BLK.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
This is very disappointing, for a 1911 forum...
I remember a steel match at the Desert Sportsman in Vegas where the match designers went hog wild. I was shooting a 1911 and had my usual 5 mags with me in the range bag. I had to borrow two mags to even be able to engage all the targets, Texas Star etc. I gathered a total of 3 extra mags to have a cushion and I came out of that stage with the idea that while I love the 1911 and it will be a great gun for addressing adversaries 99.9% of the time, it's not the ideal tool for all situations.

The doublestack STI's, NightHawks and guns like my new-to-me EDC X9 may be the answer for those instances.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
I worked for a small rural coastal town for many years - police officer/harbormaster/shellfish conservation warden/ constable/ACO - I wore all the hats, worked alone, back up might be 10mins to 30mins or more depending on where you were, what day it was, and what time. Also worked part time for the county Sheriff's office. I provided my own weapons and gear, like cops that work for a lot of small towns and depts have to, and could carry what I wanted as long as it was duty appropriate. I carried a 1911 some of the time, usually when dressed casually but the last few years I carried an FNP Tactical with a Trijicon MRDS. Patrol rifle was a Sig 556, back up was a custom 9mm S&W 360J snubby.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Machine gun

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.