1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and my buddies are hunting in August. Last night, I had this ferocious idea if any 1911 firearm is of good use at a hunt. Might be Elk hunting, deer hunting, beer hunting, or any other hunting you can think of. I understand clearly this is a wild idea, but my question is are there any 1911 firearms that are of good use in a hunt.

I will appreciate responses and a heads-up. Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have hunted with a 1911 in .45 several times over the last 20 years. My first deer was taken with one. I hunt mostly deer, and have taken them from 13 yards on the move to 35 yards standing broadside. I have a 10mm WC, that I set up for hunting, but I have not ever used it for that. Each of the deer shot with my .45's has been a one shot drop, and I have used 230 XTP as well as 230 Golden Sabre. I think the bonded golden sabre would be my choice today, but it probably doesn't matter much compared to the other two. The XTP's exited every time, but I did recover the Golden Sabre under the far skin, which makes me think that a bigger deer would be better handled with the bonded round.

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
333 Posts
I would hunt our whitetail with my 38Super or a 45 to the same ranges I hunt with my bow. I've never hunted elk but would consider a 10mm sufficient at the same distance.
Bear (I assume not beer) I wouldn't intentionally hunt with a semi-auto.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I'm not a hunter, but if I was it would be important for humane kills. Maybe a 10mm on small deer, but that's about it for a 1911, IMO. I'd go with a big bore wheel gun if I really wanted to hunt with a handgun. I do hunt beers though.;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The quick kill should be the goal when hunting caliber choice using a handgun, I always used 10mm or 44 magnum. Although a .22 has killed more deer than all other calibers combined its not the proper choice. I'm sure a 45 or 38 super would be adequate but I'd want more.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,657 Posts

The manufacturer suggests this load for bear. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 1911 in rough country with this load.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not to get political, but I will never use Buffalo Bore again. Owner is a criminal and a loser. Google will tell you everything if you don't already know.

I have loaded some of my own that are very similar to the loading above. Definitely potent medicine.

·
In Kentucky
9,877 Posts
I shot a deer hit by a truck in front of my farm. He managed to hobble into my hayfield before collapsing. Both back legs were broken. I called sheriff's office to see if I could shot it. They said go ahead and if I didn't want it a deputy would pick it up. I pulled my Hoag and from 5 yards shot it between his eyes with horady 200+p xtp. Man the head exploded.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Harvested
whitetails 10mm, 45, 357 sig
Hogs 10mm
FWIW

·
Banned
128 Posts
I wouldn't be hesitant to hunt with an accurate 1911 45acp with +p loads. I wouldn't use that 185 grain load. I would use a 230 jhp or even a swc with as wide a meplat as I could get to cycle reliably. With handgun rounds I like reliable expansion, high velocity, and those massive nasty looking hollow points but when hunting what I really want is an exit wound.

·
born in the wrong century
5,489 Posts
I've killed hogs with a 10mm.

Bullet placement and bullet choice is crucial. That should go without saying....but I said it anyway.

Some people seem cavalier in their thoughts on hunting. "Well I was using an 88magnum.....should've put 'em down". "Ah...yeah, jackass....you flinched & hit 'em in the hoof with a crappy constructed bullet".

Reactions: Realboss

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Would be close range with either a 10mm or 9x23.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Not to get political, but I will never use Buffalo Bore again. Owner is a criminal and a loser. Google will tell you everything if you don't already know.

I have loaded some of my own that are very similar to the loading above. Definitely potent medicine.
You are correct he is an idiot and a criminal.

Reactions: SLG and sawman556

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have hunted with a 1911 in .45 several times over the last 20 years. My first deer was taken with one. I hunt mostly deer, and have taken them from 13 yards on the move to 35 yards standing broadside. I have a 10mm WC, that I set up for hunting, but I have not ever used it for that. Each of the deer shot with my .45's has been a one shot drop, and I have used 230 XTP as well as 230 Golden Sabre. I think the bonded golden sabre would be my choice today, but it probably doesn't matter much compared to the other two. The XTP's exited every time, but I did recover the Golden Sabre under the far skin, which makes me think that a bigger deer would be better handled with the bonded round.
Thanks for sharing your experience, buddy. My friend has a 1911 in .45, I told him about the idea and your experience as well, and we are both ready and excited to explore the experience.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've killed hogs with a 10mm.

Bullet placement and bullet choice is crucial. That should go without saying....but I said it anyway.

Some people seem cavalier in their thoughts on hunting. "Well I was using an 88magnum.....should've put 'em down". "Ah...yeah, jackass....you flinched & hit 'em in the hoof with a crappy constructed bullet".
Thanks for sharing experience with me, buddy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, buddy. My friend has a 1911 in .45, I told him about the idea and your experience as well, and we are both ready and excited to explore the experience.
You are welcome and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do. Nothing beats handgun hunting for me. I will add one personal caveat, if you will. I am obsessed with quick clean kills. If you hunt long enough and wide enough, you will fail to achieve that at some point. It is what it is. I was a fairly accomplished shooter before I ever took to the field with a handgun and if I had not been, it never would have occurred to me to try. Figure out the maximum distance that you can hold a 4" group off hand and from a rested position and make that your personal limit for how far you will shoot at a live animal. Also, with these types of power levels and bullets, I only aim behind the shoulder, neverfor the shoulder. You will save yourself some embarrassment, frustration and maybe grief , while gaining tremendous experience and confidence in your shooting and hunting. Good hunting!

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts

He certainly should eat his own special meatballs.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I and my buddies are hunting in August. Last night, I had this ferocious idea if any 1911 firearm is of good use at a hunt. Might be Elk hunting, deer hunting, beer hunting, or any other hunting you can think of. I understand clearly this is a wild idea, but my question is are there any 1911 firearms that are of good use in a hunt.

I will appreciate responses and a heads-up. Thanks.
Maybe a 6” slide model 1911. And if it was me… It would be a 10MM 6” 1911. Springfield had one..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts