1911 Firearm Addicts banner

181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the extremes, Springfield TRP Operator at Heavyweight, and Springfield LW Loaded Operator Gov't on the light end. I bought the LW with intention of carrying, but just throw it in my travel bag when I go to work. It's definitely the answer for Gov't sized LW carry though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey all,

I don't know how popular the forged Aluminum or Scandium framed 1911's are with you guys and gals, but I don't think I'd mind a bit to carry one. I've never owned or shot one, so I am NOT speaking from knowledge. I would like to hear what you all think of them though. I've seen hardcore 1911 guys that own dozens of 'em that absolutely despise anything other than steel frames, no matter the size of the frame and slide. Other though, really like 'em.

I'm just curious cause I saw one of the models I have thought about hoping to get one day, the Kimber CDP Compact. I think it's one beautiful 1911, but not a true CCO sized cause the barrel is only 4 inches instead of 4 1/4 inches.
There's 2 others that I really like too, the Springfield EMP Conceal Carry Contour in 9mm and the S&W Model 1911SC E-Series in 45acp.

If you all would like me to post pics....I'll be happy to look up the links to good pics and post them.

Most of these lighter weight frames 1911's come in at right at 30 ounces or slightly above. I think if I were going to carry a 9mm plastic fantastic pistol with 15 rounds and weighs 26-27 ounces, I'd just as well rather carry something I'm very familiar with, a 1911 in CCO size.

Now I don't know what all is out there that would be much better choices than the ones I've posted. I'm hoping you guys and gals can share some of them. I never get tired of seeing beautiful 1911...especially ones in carry rigs and with some holster and use wear on them.

Please post your pick, if you don't mind participating. If you have pics....it would be great to see them. Heck, I might even change my mind in what I want. I know if a Carry Comp comes up from Wilson Combat....I'm gonna be in trouble cause I really like those pistols. I'd probably like them even more if I'd ever see one in person.

Thanks all and have a great Super Bowl Sunday.
Stay SAFE whatever you do.

Larry
If weight is a primary concern, I wouldn’t carry a 1911.

A 1911 is supposed to be a big, heavy, battle pistol.

Make it too small and it starts getting unreliable, and also stops being at 1911 IMO. It’s just a gun “based on” a 1911.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
If Your Were Gonna Carry a Lightweight 1911...What Would You Pick?
None. I am not a girly-man who feels the need to cut a few ounces from an already lightweight weapon like a 1911.

·
Premium Member
6,974 Posts
My lightweight 1911 is a Springfield armory champion LW Range officer
I went for years with a Colt LWC tuned by Chuck Ries. When my brother borrowed it and I had to move to something else when I couldn't get it back. I bounced around with several till I bought my LW RO. It'll get changed over time, but I've had a ball with it as a inexpensive way to try 9mm again after 44 years. I carry it and my NOT LW Ronin. The Ronin shoots like a laser.

Want a really light 45acp, try a Simmerling. They're punishing to shoot! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Kimber Royal Carry in .45 acp. It is the compact (officers’) size frame with a 4” barrel. It has an aluminum frames do a nice traditional blue finish. I’ve shot many thousands of rounds of all bullet types, probably all reloads and have never had a failure of any kind. I tried the all steel compact and their 3” Ultra Carry but ended up selling them. I just ordered a couple of Wilson Combat mags for it just because other guys report magazine failures with Kimber magazines. All my magazines for 1911s that might be used in a self defense situation are Wilson. A small price to pay for peace of mind!

·
Registered
785 Posts
None. I am not a girly-man who feels the need to cut a few ounces from an already lightweight weapon like a 1911.
It's interesting you seem to regularly go out of your way to post needless puffery like this. Not sure if you're joking, trolling or just that insecure. Maybe all three? ;)

There's a lot of ways to 1911. Get used to it...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got a dw guardian in 38super, it's light and the bobtail is nice for appendix.

I also just rebuilt a kimber aegis pro with wilson and nhc parts. The frame, slide,barrel, and beavertail are all that's kimber now. It fed and ate everything great out of the box with etm, chip, and factory mags, just wanted to ditch the mim parts.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
It's interesting you seem to regularly go out of your way to post needless puffery like this. Not sure if you're joking, trolling or just that insecure. Maybe all three? ;)

There's a lot of ways to 1911. Get used to it...
Just answering his question honestly. Those who do not like my responses can skip them instead of looking down their nose by engaging in MSM-editorializing.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Any one of my five. I have Colts in a LW gov’t. Model, LW stainless Commander Model, a Lt. Commander model, a Sig Ultra Tribal Model, and a Kimber Ultra CDP II:

82392A5F-31EA-41F6-9961-67C09B73BAF5.jpeg
B1884EDF-45FB-44FE-81E6-60AB50515E0E.jpeg
40F18A52-6439-4011-B5BC-336148EEA6D4.jpeg
F74074E1-F1A2-499C-8D54-DA8F04A5BC96.jpeg
38B9F1DC-B252-4B99-AB09-DE2795D0BCA9.jpeg

Damn; I always forget my LW RIA multi-caliber 9mm/.22 TCM:

50625932-12C1-43A9-9C1D-C674BFE20535.jpeg

E846E8BF-BA7A-49AF-8371-CD57AC4FE9B5.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I've put almost 6k on the 9mm DW Guardian I got last May. I have several holsters for it, but I mainly use a SS2. I keep it loaded with 147gr. HST's. Last fall I replaced the sights with some Ed Browns and the trigger with a Harrison. I have a Harrison original commander ignition kit coming for it this week and look forward to installing those. I've been a Glock guy for a long time, but I love having this 1911 on me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I’m going small and light, I’m making a real step change from my 5” steel gun. I’d go for an aluminum 9mm with a Officer’s frame and a 4” slide. Probably either a fixed up Springfield lightweight compact or an equivalent Wilson.

·
born in the wrong century
5,285 Posts
I've put almost 6k on the 9mm DW Guardian I got last May. I have several holsters for it, but I mainly use a SS2. I keep it loaded with 147gr. HST's. Last fall I replaced the sights with some Ed Browns and the trigger with a Harrison. I have a Harrison original commander ignition kit coming for it this week and look forward to installing those. I've been a Glock guy for a long time, but I love having this 1911 on me.

My next DW will hopefully be a Guardian.

Yours looks super.

I really like the upgrades you made. (y)

Reactions: sawman556
181 - 200 of 232 Posts