1911 Firearm Addicts banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
At one time, I carried a Colt "Stainless Lightweight" Commander from the late 1990s. It started life as a non-enhanced (traditional round top and rowel hammer with rat tail grip safety) stainless slide married to a silver anodized alloy frame. I believe it was a special run from Lew Horton as it had a "CLS" serial number prefix. It went to Robar, where the front strap was stippled, a steel MSH was stippled and added, action work performed, new sights added, and was finished in NP3.

I had to be careful with magazines followers and with reloads. The NP3 finish application required the removal of the Colt hard-anodized frame finish, making the magazine well and frame ramp soft. If I had to do it again, I would opt for a steel ramp in the frame or a ramped barrel and a steel magazine well, and I would not use NP3 on the lower.

·
Premium Member
6,974 Posts
'67 Commander for me. Just make sure you have a reliable magazine and ammo especially if your using HPs. I've tried 4 different brands and have 2 more to try, so far Super Vel 190gr has been the best and most accurate. View attachment 718437

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Mine was made 5 years after this. Just use McCormick shooting Stars without the pad for flush fit. Stock Colt's often need a tiny tweak for reliable feeding of any HPs.

·
Get off my lawn...
15,317 Posts
When carrying “Big Bore”, I have the utmost confidence in my LW Dan Wesson Vigil. Although it’s a light weight 45 ACP, being a full size 5” Government Model absorbs most recoil. She’s a joy for all day / all night carry. I’m very comfortable packing a Government Model 1911 during all four seasons.
519007FA-FD6F-4CD9-ADDC-906CEF2AA7BE.jpeg
3EAADA6A-8005-4810-9220-B8075EB205EA.jpeg
0DB06FC5-E008-4207-B852-8D972EE3C28B.jpeg

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I never really looked that close at the Vigil, but now that I see yours in detail, boy those babies sure are beautiful. That right there could sway me into carrying one.....:)

Thanks for the great pics!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tried the Kimber Tactical Ultra 2 ... FAIL, badly, even with factory replacement.

Springfield EMP ... mostly fail, took two guns to get one that worked

Dan Wesson ECO ... FAIL

I "chose" the guns in the order above. Only the EMP worked out. I still have it and still carry it on occasion. But, since it's the same size as a Glock 19, I can carry the 48 for an even thinner and lighter package. I would probably like the EMP more if the barrel was 4", not 3".

At this point, it's only custom guns for me that have been worked on by an actual gunsmith. I choose Nighthawk for now, but any of the "Big Four" will do (NHC, Wilson Combat, Guncrafter, Alchemy (if they made one)).

My real problem is that I want rails on all my guns. Heresy, I know. But, I use lights and one attached to the gun is a potential advantage; winning the fight is more important than "purity". Unfortunately, NHC doesn't offer an Officers framed gun with rail.

Right now, for me, lightweight 1911 means my Springfield EMP. My Nighthawk T4 Recon has a steel Commander frame, so it is anything but "light". However, I do plan upon getting a Wilson Combat Protector Compact in 45 ACP. I think it has a great combination of features.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Sounds like you’ve done your homework on the subject and now you know what YOU are comfortable with. That’s absolutely the best way to go about choosing a carry piece.
I like the EMP, but have only handled one in a shop for a couple minutes. I think I’d really like the EMP CCC. Beautiful gun, 30 ounces or so and nice capacity for a 9mm 1911. I just wish they weren’t so dang expensive.

I would like to try a lightweight officer, a Kimber CDP Compact, one of the Springer Range Officer Compacts or a CCO from any of the companies. Something around the 30 ounce weight and either caliber. I would prolly even take a Colt CCO in 38 Super if I knew more about the round and could reload.

·
Registered
None, boating accident!
188 Posts
So I skimmed all the guns in this thread.

clearly many are not a daily carry.
Not for very long anyway.

Unless someone can explain how to daily carry and not get one scratch?
And they look just like safe queens.

throwing the foul flag here.

A few are clearly daily drivers and it shows.
No way to not have ware on a gun worn daily.....just sayin

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,203 Posts

My ULCC has held up amazingly well for being my primary carry pistol for about 4 years. I will say it’s only been carried in either a Sparks Criterion or 55BN. The photos below show some of the wear on the pistol. I’m not anal about looks but I do take care of it. The armor tough Wilson used in 2016 has been impressive. I’ve also included a picture of my well worn Criterion with the ULCC, I do change grips pretty often.
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I have a couple of 9mm DW's that I love. IMO, 9mm with ramped barrel works well with LW frames. I have just over 7k on the black one and only shows wear on two spots on the left rail where it looks like the anodizing is gone. Might be about .125" long. Those 2 spots wore in quickly, but hasn't changed after thousands of rounds. Slide/frame fit isn't quite as tight as all steel models, but it's pretty damn accurate. I've thought about accu-rails, but haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When carrying “Big Bore”, I have the utmost confidence in my LW Dan Wesson Vigil. Although it’s a light weight 45 ACP, being a full size 5” Government Model absorbs most recoil. She’s a joy for all day / all night carry. I’m very comfortable packing a Government Model 1911 during all four seasons.
View attachment 735592
That's a really beautiful pistol!

·
Registered
299 Posts
'67 Commander for me. Just make sure you have a reliable magazine and ammo especially if your using HPs. I've tried 4 different brands and have 2 more to try, so far Super Vel 190gr has been the best and most accurate. View attachment 718437

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I really like that gun!! Basic, functional, and really neat grips! They give it extraordinary character.

Where did you get them and are they still in business?

·
Registered
299 Posts

Hehe...that's tough. A friend of mine, who's since passed away, SOMEHOW, managed to keep his carry guns looking PRISTINE and NEW. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW HE DID IT CONSIDERING WE WENT TO THE SAME GUN CLASSES TOGETHER!!! Then he went and died on me without telling me the secret!!! Don't worry, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind after I kick the bucket!!!! A**hole!!!!

Anyyyyyhooo....my Nighthawk T4 is already all messed up with a huge ding one the magwell and right grip panel. I haven't converted it to EDC yet since I was acquiring a holster for it before this little vacay away from it. The good news is that I will have everything I need to EDC it in May 2021 when all the gear comes in!!!! Can't wait!!!

Also received from NHC is my updated Damn Hawk Valor and NHC Enforcer. It'll be a tough decision since Milt Sparks will deliver Criterions to my house. Break in should consist of 20 draws and maybe fooling around with tension. They're worse than crack dealers.

Two of my Glock 19's are Gen 3 and the wear on them is minimal despite my abuse since 2005 and 2009. There is some burnishing on the slide at the muzzle area, a few dings in on the outside of the grips and that's about it. I have a pair of them that have seen at least 10,000 rounds each, about 15 gun classes, and a 11-13 years of carry. They were dry fired daily for a decade, which includes draws. My G19.4 has not fared anywhere near as well; Gen 3 Glocks seem to have a much better finish with a higher quality trigger system. But, they're just $400 Glocks and don't compare to any 1911 (but I still like them).

I haven't had a working 1911 for that long. Nighthawk convinced me that my failing 1911 days are over. Long story/short: I have Criterions for all my updated 1911's. Garrity came through with a IN-COGNITO for the T4 with OLIGHT PL MINI mounted and it's been stretching in the safe for six weeks. The Damn Wesson Valor was in rough shape when I sent it to NHC for reliability work and mods. My standard Criterion works for it, as will my next Tenicor Certum 3 (assuming I can AIWB a 5" Government without crunching my left nut).

We shall see how this shakes out at the range in May 2021. It'll be lots of fun!

201 - 220 of 232 Posts