1911 Firearm Addicts banner

If Your Were Gonna Carry a Lightweight 1911...What Would You Pick?

70K views 419 replies 238 participants last post by  Stan73 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I don't know how popular the forged Aluminum or Scandium framed 1911's are with you guys and gals, but I don't think I'd mind a bit to carry one. I've never owned or shot one, so I am NOT speaking from knowledge. I would like to hear what you all think of them though. I've seen hardcore 1911 guys that own dozens of 'em that absolutely despise anything other than steel frames, no matter the size of the frame and slide. Other though, really like 'em.

I'm just curious cause I saw one of the models I have thought about hoping to get one day, the Kimber CDP Compact. I think it's one beautiful 1911, but not a true CCO sized cause the barrel is only 4 inches instead of 4 1/4 inches.
There's 2 others that I really like too, the Springfield EMP Conceal Carry Contour in 9mm and the S&W Model 1911SC E-Series in 45acp.

If you all would like me to post pics....I'll be happy to look up the links to good pics and post them.

Most of these lighter weight frames 1911's come in at right at 30 ounces or slightly above. I think if I were going to carry a 9mm plastic fantastic pistol with 15 rounds and weighs 26-27 ounces, I'd just as well rather carry something I'm very familiar with, a 1911 in CCO size.

Now I don't know what all is out there that would be much better choices than the ones I've posted. I'm hoping you guys and gals can share some of them. I never get tired of seeing beautiful 1911...especially ones in carry rigs and with some holster and use wear on them.

Please post your pick, if you don't mind participating. If you have pics....it would be great to see them. Heck, I might even change my mind in what I want. I know if a Carry Comp comes up from Wilson Combat....I'm gonna be in trouble cause I really like those pistols. I'd probably like them even more if I'd ever see one in person.

Thanks all and have a great Super Bowl Sunday.
Stay SAFE whatever you do.

Larry

See less See more
#8 ·
#289 ·
I own a Springfied Champion, Springfield Champion Operatot, and now a Colt Lightweight Commander.

If I was looking at a true officers model, I’d probable look at the Springfield Range Officer Elite Compact, or one of the Dan Wesson offerings.

1911 Range Officer® Elite Handguns - Springfield Armory
FYI as far as I know the Range Officer Elite is only made in 10mm caliber not .45 ACP or 9mm , which I don’t understand and I think it’s a mistake their marketing dept. is making. The original R O Compact is no longer manufactured at all ! I have two of them one in 9 mm and another in 45 ACP and like them very much and carry them often ..
Respectfully
JoeD

#11 · (Edited)
Gun Brown Firearm Trigger Black
Over the years I’ve owned so many 1911’s that I’ve lost track of them all. I have had at least one from almost every production manufacturer that exist from lowly ATI and RI GI’s through Dan Wesson Guardian, Colt Gold Cup, Springfield TRP and even a Colt Commercial built by Jim Clark Sr. I’ve also owned semi-customs by Baer, Brown and Nighthawk. Out of all the 1911’s that I’ve owned my favorite carry gun is still my S&W e-series 1911sc. For a factory pistol it is very well appointed, it is lightweight and it just runs. I will have to say though that I did like the Kimber Compact that I briefly carried.

#12 ·
I like a lightweight 1911 for carry, particularly Commander sized, though I've had Gov't, CCO, and Officer sized lightweights, also. They are really comfortable to carry, it's really noticeable if you're used to a steel framed 1911. And, while lightweights have a bit more felt recoil and muzzle flip, you're talking tenths of a second differences in drill times so I don't consider that an issue when choosing a carry gun.

My primary carry gun is a David Clevinger custom Colt LW Wiley Clapp Commander. The Wiley Clapp Commander is a solid "carry worthy" gun right out of the box but I bought this gun specifically for the build and the changes and upgrades David made, mechanically and cosmetically, turned it into the gun I wanted it to be. It is accurate, reliable, feels great in the hand, and is a terrific all around carrying/shooting piece. If you're looking at lightweights you definitely need to consider either the Wiley Clapp Commanders and CCOs when you're shopping around, though I prefer the way a Commander feels and balances over a CCO.

#24 ·
I have 2 light weight commanders, a .45 Colt Wiley Clapp and a 9 mm DW Valkyrie, I like both. They aren't much heavier or larger than my Glock 19. Both shoot better than the Glock. The handles on the commanders are longer than the handle on the Glock but not much. CCO handle may be shorter than a Glock. Both guns are so large a half in. longer handle don't make much difference to me.

#26 ·
My Cabot in 38 super. Cannot post pick now but that is the one I would carry in a lwt frame - my build has the gold bead front sight and non ambi safety. In non lwt would be the NHC Marvel 10mm or my Cabot Commander in 10mm.

#29 · (Edited)
If you’re looking for a single stack then the STI Stacatto-C is a great option at 25oz. Honestly though I mainly carry STI double stacks that weigh in at 25oz as well.

The steel Or alloy frame on a polymer grip, reduces felt recoil in addition to weight over a traditional all metal frame.

Attachments

#30 ·
My experience with Springfield has me looking that EMP 4 Contour you mentioned. It is a great looking gun and feels great in the hand. However, I have a hard time wanting to run a 9mm in any form of single stack... I carry a Glock "19L" (a full size G17 with the grip cut down to accept the G19 mags) It is kind of the best of both worlds. Full size sight radius, mid sized grip to conceal and 16 rounds of 9mm in the gun. But I digress...

If I had to chose one or two 1911's, I would be really happy with the Dan Wesson Guardian in 45acp. May as well get the bigger round in a gun with less capacity as a double stack. Second for me would be that SA EMP 4 Contour but I don't know how much it would replace the Tupperware I am carrying now. I am a fan of bobtail styled frames.

On a personal experience level I have a SA Lightweight Champion Operator that has been very faithful and utterly reliable for well over 2k rounds. 8+1 45 acp and a spare mag and I haven't felt under gunned. I carried this for years before drinking the Glock Kool-aid. The dual recoil spring and extra mass of the rail make shooting it a breeze. Mine has been an absolute tack driver, but I might have gotten lucky on that one.

Any of the SA Champion models that have the alloy frame (indicated by the first two letters in the serial number being LW... for light weight) would make a great carry pistol. They pop up used on Gun Broker and other sites in the $600 range all the time. Send it off to a competent smith for a reliability package and trigger and I'd carry it 24/7... in 45 acp.

Here is the SA Champ Operator... currently under the knife getting 25 lpi checkering, a bobtail, new sights, a single sided safety and an upgraded fire control group.
Gun Firearm Trigger White Line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.