In the news Illinois addicts, legislative alert

Discussion in 'Political Outhouse' started by Old Sea Dragon, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    SB 170 was recently introduced and has a long way to go before it becomes law but the details are onerous indeed. Essentially all currently owned magazine fed pistols, rifles, and shotguns would be defined as assault weapons and would need to be registered within 300 days of the law passing, at $25 each. The first 180 days post passage would be for the Illinois State Police to create the program, the remaining 120 days would be the actual registration period. Guns could be left to heirs but the heirs would need to register them within 10 days of possession. Possession of a unregistered gun would be a class 3 felony. Only LEO's would be able to buy "assault weapons" going forward, and they also would have to register them. Imagine a gun store without semi autos? Imagine buying your last 1911?
    I am a member of the Il state rifle association and know that bills like this get introduced every single session, and that ISRA will fight it tooth and nail, but we have a Anti gun Governor and legislature, so our only hope might be that rural Democratic representatives get enough pressure to vote against it. We need to watch the progress of this bill and rally all our absentee gun owning friends to action.

JM44 likes this.
  2. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    I’ve been following this... not good.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm so discouraged at the state of America, it's freakin sad, very sad. Good luck !!

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    They should just push Illinois into the ocean and bump Missouri and Indiana together.
    Move before I get this idea presented and it becomes law. :p
    People in the state you do have my sympathy.

5. conditor

conditor Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Calif. Wa. OR are all going to heck also

6. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    I hate this f&*%ing state. Chicago and its northern burbs are a cancer. We need to fight this tooth and nail and not give one go^%amn inch.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Otherside, tokuboi69 and Alexy like this.
  7. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Next few years are going to be rough at the local level. Our new AG in CT is a tyrant on his bench and we just had a teenage representative in an affluent town propose a 50% sales tax on ammo sales. I have been stocking up on all fronts. I don’t think the sales tax will fly but the AG will likely be going after “others” and possibly all firearms that are capable of accepting more than 20 rounds.

8. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    Truth

Otherside and Journeyman1234 like this.
  9. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    America as it was is lost to all these big city liberals

tokuboi69 likes this.
  10. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    We are in for a rough ride my fellow subject of Madiganistan. Also HB 0888. Essentially they want all FOID holders to give the state police their social media passwords to look for anything disqualifying.
    Less than a week into the new legislative session and I’m sure this is only the beginning.

11. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    Sad truth! It will come to a time where conservatives will have to congregate somewhere with our backs to a mountain.

tokuboi69 likes this.
  12. notshawn54

Jan 9, 2016
    Lengthy discussion over at illinoiscarry.com I still resent my parents for moving me to this state 40 years ago. Been having some discussions with the wife about moving. She wants Florida and I like Arizona or Texas. Not so sure anywhere is safe except for maybe Kentucky.

Otherside likes this.
  13. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    safe? Come to Arizona, no permit for conceal carry, 100% constitutional carry. You walk into a gun shop and you have a wide selection of everything. Plus the nice winters and even with the sh*tty summers it's ok cause we are free !!

20170721_113656.jpg

14. notshawn54

Jan 9, 2016
    I was speaking politically. AZ did elect Sinema. We have visited there the past 2 years and I absolutely love it there. Pretty much did a tour of the state and just about everywhere we went there were signs for ranges. Quite the contrast from the Chicago burbs where I live.

tokuboi69 likes this.
  15. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    I'd let her have her choice if it gets you out of here. The gulf coast and panhandle have some nice land.

16. notshawn54

Jan 9, 2016
    Happy wife, happy life.

tokuboi69 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  17. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    More laws that have no purpose being proposed? I'm not surprised...

Is there any way this proposed stuff could be defeated in the legislature?

The Illinois Supreme Court is very pro 2A, they've consistently struck down anti gun laws in the past and ruled Illinois residents have the right to conceal carry. Perhaps if it does pass it could go there or even to the SCOTUS.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    It may go that far

Alexy likes this.
  19. notshawn54

Jan 9, 2016
    If I recall, we were the last state in the union to get concealed carry because federal courts mandated the state could no longer withhold that right from us. The legislature had to “quickly “ write our concealed carry law right before the deadline set by the courts or else Illinois would have went constitutional carry. Also the Chicago handgun ban that was in effect 1982-2010 was also ruled unconstitutional on the federal level. McDonald v. Chicago I believe. So with our democrat supermajority in the legislature and democrat governor these bills will probably be rubber stamped into law. The courts are probably our only refuge. Sad days indeed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Otherside, Alexy and Journeyman1234 like this.