1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Back At It
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about 2 years away from the 1911's, it seems I will be returning. I listed my customized S&W M&P 9MM for sale/trade today and very quickly got an interesting trade offer from an LEO out in Missouri. So negotiated a bit and came to a deal both were happy with. I should have a SA TRP Operator sometime next week. This will be my first railed 1911, and hopefully it shoots as well as the TRP I once owned. It does have finish wear in a few places as he carried it on duty, so I will be looking to get it refinished at some point. Also the adjustable sights will probably get swapped out, it was good to see Harrison makes a serrated fixed rear for this pistol. Need to get some dies, lead, and brass and I will be in business.

I have a few questions:

1) Is is worth it or even doable to modify the slide for standard sights?

2) Who makes a good CCW holster for a railed 1911 with a decent lead time?

3) What finish would you guys recommend and from who? I live in hot and humid FL so I need something that will hold up.

I want to get the pistol and put 1-2K rounds through it as is, but off the top of my head I would like to eliminate the ambi-safety, change the sights, and refinish the gun.

I would also like to know, if anyone has the info, which parts on this gun are MIM......

Thanks
:biggrin1:

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
1. Doable? Yes. Worth it? Wouldn't be to me. It'd have to be welded, recut, refinished.
2. Try Kelley Gun Leather.
3. Cerakote from Lou at Business End Customs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1. John Harrison makes a fixed hard-use sight that fits the bomar cut of the TRP operator right now. 10-8 has one pending. Hilton Yam told me its probably 6 weeks from market. No slide modification needed for either of them. I have a Harrison sight but will probably buy a 10-8 when they come out.

2. I have a MS VM2 for a full-rail and I know they make them for the standard rail but you wont like the wait.

3. I'm out on that. Every man for himself.

WELCOME BACK

·
Back At It
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Doable? Yes. Worth it? Wouldn't be to me. It'd have to be welded, recut, refinished.
2. Try Kelley Gun Leather.
3. Cerakote from Lou at Business End Customs.
I figured as much on number 1, thanks for your input I will check the holsters out and have a PM in to Lou

·
Back At It
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. John Harrison makes a fixed hard-use sight that fits the bomar cut of the TRP operator right now. 10-8 has one pending. Hilton Yam told me its probably 6 weeks from market. No slide modification needed for either of them. I have a Harrison sight but will probably buy a 10-8 when they come out.

2. I have a MS VM2 for a full-rail and I know they make them for the standard rail but you wont like the wait.

3. I'm out on that. Every man for himself.

WELCOME BACK
I was looking at the Harrison sight funny you mention it, seems the challenge in whatever fixed rear sight I get will be matching it up with a proper front sight. As for Milt Sparks, the VM2 is probably my favorite holster of all I have owned, but yes waiting for one to be built will take forever, my 3 year might be in college before the holster arrives, lol.

·
Back At It
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
basically all the small parts are MIM.

10-8 should have it's BoMar replacement sights out in the next month or 2. I like the looks of them better than the Harrison.
The pics in the link below are of the prototype.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/16/10-8-modular-rear-sight/
Thanks Quack, I was looking at the 10-8 sight, looks killer, from just a looks perspective I like it better than the Harrison sight. What front sight would this be matched up well with?

Sent you a pm also for some info, thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,202 Posts
Great news,...........looks like all Q's have been answered.

Give Lou a shout about the work.

·
Back At It
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great news,...........looks like all Q's have been answered.

Give Lou a shout about the work.
Yeah I sent him a pm a little bit ago. Waiting to hear back. Hopefully the guy ships to me tomorrow.......can't wait to have it.

Now the hunt for a CCW holster.........

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Who makes a good CCW holster for a railed 1911 with a decent lead time?
Cane & Derby. 30 work day lead time last I talked to them.

I dont have the CCW loops in the pic. This is a modified MC Operator work done by D&V Small Arms

·
Back At It
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cane & Derby. 30 work day lead time last I talked to them.

I dont have the CCW loops in the pic. This is a modified MC Operator work done by D&V Small Arms

Thanks I will check them out......

Looks a lot like a Raven, but Raven has a 14-16 week lead time, lol......

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
They are as good as the Raven Ive owned. Ive got 2 C&D holsters now due to price and lead time of the RCH

·
Premium Member
26,202 Posts
Gabe,.....you can always use the Isreali carry method and stuff it in your pants!

No holster needed,.........:pound:

·
Premium Member
26,202 Posts
Hey Gabe,.......how 'bout a pic of your "soon to be your's" 1911? :eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts