I'm not a collector

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by shemeneto, May 27, 2019.

1. shemeneto

shemeneto Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2016
    So I took an unfired S&W 29-3 that was 38 years old to the range yesterday and shot it. It took me 3 trips to the range with it ( not it alone) to bring myself to load and fire it.
    Everybody knows that the -3 is about the least collectable iteration of a 29 there is, value is not high and I really wanted to keep it and I wouldn't have if I couldn't bring myself to fire it, and I really wanted to keep it. I wont keep any gun I cant/wont fire. I love a 4"N frame and this one is really nice, so I shot it.
    It of course performed fine. Accuracy would have been better with someone behind the trigger who knows how to shoot a revolver but it was decent. It was alot of fun.

Doc45, xerts1191, BigJimP and 11 others like this.
  2. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Pitchers!!!

xerts1191 and Mike Meints like this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Great gun, lots of great range dates ahead. If you reload, try some in the 1100 FPS range. Very enjoyable.

gps man likes this.
  4. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Good call, schemeneto. There not near as much fun, sitting in your safe unfired.

ORShooter, switchback and gps man like this.
  5. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    It was mucho bueno!! I kept wondering why I had that big stupid grin on my face, all the while in the back of my mind I knew it was because I was shooting a big bore magnum for the first time in its life.
    Old sea dragon, I'm not set up for reloading pistol calibers yet but I'm saving all my brass. I've bought a few thousand primers, a few pounds of Vihtivouri powders, N340, which is a mid speed powder and according to Vihtivouri it doesnt produce high speeds in any caliber it's used for. I need dies and a few other things and I do plan to start reloading for a few pistol calibers, especially the 10mm. The 44 is a great candidate too because of the price, like 10mm.
    41Charlie, I agree 100. That's why I decided to use it because I don't have anything in my armory that hasn't been shot. I do have some that dont get shot often but nothing I dont shoot at all. I just cant do it, sometimes I wish I could but I cant. Kudos to those who have that gene.

6. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Good job shooting it! That’s what they are made for!

I have a few that don’t get shot often, like my 29-2, and when I do shoot them I always say “Self, why don’t you shoot these nice guns more often?”

7. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    You made Clint proud!

Mike Meints, 41 Charlie and xerts1191 like this.
  8. Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I'm more of an accumulator than a collector, and have some S&W that are "too nice/collectible" to shoot but I really try to avoid buying more of them. The fun of old S&W P&R revolvers is that for the most part you can use em' and still maintain value!

gps man, KS95B40 and 41 Charlie like this.
  9. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm of the mind, if an item was made to be shot, I will shoot it. Whether it be with it or at it!:roflmaro::roll:

Caveat: That is providing it is safe to shoot.:thumbs:

gps man likes this.
  10. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    That's about how I feel too I guess. Unfortunately, my shooting it apparently exposed some poor QC in this particular gun. See my thread "29-3 trigger problems". Now I'm going to have to spend more money on a gun I probably overspent on in the first place, and that really pisses me off.

Oops, wrong forum. My trigger problems thread is on the S&W forum. There seems to be an issue with the double action sear, either that or it's been suggested from the very detailed pics I posted there that the hammer and/or trigger studs are not square to the frame.
    The gun developed a very definite "wall" in the double action pull and it really sucks, mostly because I cant fix it myself, but also because the damned thing is in close to brand new condition to start with.
    I'm getting what seems to be solid advice about how to proceed on the S&W forum, none of the paths are going to be cheap probably.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    gps man and ORShooter like this.
  11. msgt/ret

msgt/ret Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I am more of an accumulator than a collector and the 44 is a blast to shoot, I started out with a Ruger Super Black then added a TC Contender then while cruising around Stockton I noticed a Remington 788 with what appeared to have a bull barrel what do you you know a 44 bolt action. One comment on reloading dies, for the 44mag dies purchase 44spl dies since adjusting them will let you switch from 44spl to 44mag. The same works for 10MM use the 40S&W dies may be used for both.

12. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    This 629-1 gets shot a lot-just about an even mix of specials and magnums. I really like the Gold Dot load, not too bad on recoil. I don't like shooting .357 magnum ammo even in N or L frames but I find the .44 magnum recoil pulse less punishing.

[​IMG]

BigJimP, msgt/ret and ORShooter like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted