1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing driving this other than a belated desire to affirm that my accumulation of toys does not take priority over those I love.

I have learned that how I see this doesn't matter if they don't see it the same way.

I'm conflicted. I would dump everything in a second if there was a real financial need. We're not talking about needs, but wants / desires. This goes back to Economics 101 - opportunity cost.

By choosing to do one thing, those resources aren't available for other things. That has left those questioning their position on my priority hierarchy.

The source of these funds has primarily been side activities, not the general income stream. But what's ours is ours.

Looking backward, I can see the overall magnitude of the opportunities "lost." At the time, none of the aquisitions were huge in the grand scheme of things. But in aggregate over time . . . . .

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I completely understand where you are coming from. I have added up the total worth of my firearms and was surprised at the number. I did not tell my wife what the number was:) I am slowly selling off stuff that I don't use often or am not completely enamored with. I don't have kids and my wife pretty much gets to do what she wants, so there really hasn't been anything important that hasn't been taken care of. Still, I do have lots of stuff I don't use and it should go. When I sell a couple high end items I think I'll take my wife on a vacation. She already has some pretty nifty jewelry so don't need to go there.
Zoid, you have to do what is best for both you and your family. If you think you can reallocate resources and improve things, then that's the thing to do. If everything important has been taken care of, then its okay for you to have some stuff. Let your conscience be your guide.
Jeff

·
Enabler
3,395 Posts
Line forming behind Mr RG

·
Pearl Pimp
2,477 Posts
I think maintaining balance is positive. For me, I set a limit on my gun collecting. I allow myself 5 pistols that are within my budget, and if I accumulate more than that something gets sold. That "rule" helps me enjoy the hobby without over-indulgence.

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,255 Posts
For the most part all of my guns were purchased/traded for from my gun fund, which I acquired over several years of squirreling away a little at a time. We recently bought out last home and I retired earlier this year. So now we are on fixed income. We have reasonable saving and no credit cards. But we wanted to do some things to the 'new' house without putting a pretty significant dent in our savings. I weighed my desire for these changes against some of my nicest pistols and determined that they would benefit both of us more than the guns benefited me. So I sold almost all of my expensive 'toys' and used the money for house projects. I am very satisfied with my decision. I applaud you for seeing to the family first. But you must keep a few toys:cool:

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,797 Posts
Nothing driving this other than a belated desire to affirm that my accumulation of toys does not take priority over those I love.

I have learned that how I see this doesn't matter if they don't see it the same way.

I'm conflicted. I would dump everything in a second if there was a real financial need. We're not talking about needs, but wants / desires. This goes back to Economics 101 - opportunity cost.

By choosing to do one thing, those resources aren't available for other things. That has left those questioning their position on my priority hierarchy.

The source of these funds has primarily been side activities, not the general income stream. But what's ours is ours.

Looking backward, I can see the overall magnitude of the opportunities "lost." At the time, none of the aquisitions were huge in the grand scheme of things. But in aggregate over time . . . . .

Does this make sense?
So you well know my situ, so it has made me do some real soul searching on this topic. I never had a lot of money growing up, so when I started making big money I started buying stuff “I” liked. Lots of old muscle cars to restore (had 3 at one point), then Corvettes and then motorcycles. Granted, I am a gear head and that is as bad an affliction as being a gun guy.

Looking back I see all of the things I could have done and wish I had with my family and saving for the future more. Now, dont get me wrong. This situation I am in now would have been far worse had my father not instilled the 6 month rule. He said always have 6 months of salary on hand just in case. He also said this gave you the ability to say “sir, I quit” and it does for the most part (although now it should probably be the year rule).

It has hurt to let some of my stuff go, but as my buddy here DWE says, “its just stuff!” And it is. Easily replaceable.

There is another friend I have who always says there are two things we all take for granted until it is gone;
- Our health
- Our relationships

This is so true. I said in another post today that you guys have been so good about listening to me, providing support and, in many ways, helping me out during this time. While I have had “friends” who I was looking to for insight here near by stand me up repeatedly. That really sucks. But I put myself to blame here as I have not been good at keeping up with them. However, I will forever be at your beck and call as a friend if you ever call on me.

Anyhow, all that is to say, I am now looking at keeping a few that have true purpose and I am only a few from being there. Feels hollow though to open that safe and see it empty. Where it was overly full 6 months ago, it now has almost nothing in it except the things that were the most valuable to me. Don’t read valuable, what is left is not expensive, but valuable to me from a past or a future standpoint (heirlooms and things I want to pass along). Everything else is pretty much home defense or carry.

I still have 2 motorcycles; one 20 year old that I have restored and one ‘09 that is my travel bike. If things get desperate they will go as well. My main reason for even keeping them is that I co-founded BikerChaplain.com - which kinda requires a bike...but not necessarily two.

So;
- It’s all just stuff
- Never neglect your health
- Never neglect your relationships (consider God in that too...)

Here for you buddy!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Everyones situation is different, my wife gets everything she wants, she drives a brand new car and has her son 50% of the time. I watch her hand her X bags of new clothes when he lives in a house worth 4 times as much as ours, I blew $500 once on a dinner for my wifes daughter and her friends, I have also paid to fly her daughter home only to have her spend all her time with her real dad as my wife cried, I have paid for her daughter to fly to Florida to meet us for vacation and had it end with no one talking to each other. I have listened to her say "why would we want to hang out with him when my real dad is a lot more fun" Her dad is not the same father as my wifes son, her dad is a POS. I even gave her a car when she needed one instead of selling it for $5000.

SO in my life, guns make me happy! I work my ass off and am extremely responsible.

Buying guns is a high, trading, selling (not so much) lol

Hanging out with you peeps makes me happy, going to the range today and popping holes in a 6 inch target at 75 feet makes me happy!

I will get off my soap box now, did''t mean to use your thread for venting, but I know you love me:inlove:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I totally get where you are coming from. I have sold off a few in the past 48 months, have a few more that I will slowly sell off- rather do it on my own timing than when I absolutely have to and need the money. I have put the cash from the sales into my "gun fund" to fund outstanding builds, improve guns I have and am keeping, reloading equipt, ammo and training. Trying to be more practical than I once was, there was a time I could not resist a nice 1911 at a FFL or in a sales post, I collected and did it heavily - I learned having the most toys didnt make me any happier really, I still shot the same guns most of the time. Trimming down the herd now and most folks, outside of ones on this forum that is, would say damn you have a lot of guns still!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
2 cents from someone who has looked back a couple of times....
You didn't buy them all at once.... don't sell them all at once. You will know when you get to the point that your mind has come to be at ease. It may be when you have 10 left, 5 left, 2 or none... wherever it feels right is where you want to be.

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Makes sense to me. Seems like a normal, periodic reevaluation of activities and priorities based on changing circumstances. Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,429 Posts
I often ponder this very thing, however I see it as a savings fund, let's face it your not getting nothing out of the bank for putting it in there. And playing the stock market is just like gambling imho.. Well at least you stand just as much of a chance to lose nowadays. Also my wife and kids have never wanted for anything financially as long as I was working, and tbh, I always played third fiddle so to speak. I didn't splurge on toys etc.. Did have a motorcycle for many years and recently sold that off. However I have someone lined up should something should happen to me I have someone who will sell everything off and the proceeds got to the wife and kids. So, whether I get rid of them now, or my buddy sells them then, the money still benefits the family. I too would sell it all if there was a great financial need and not afraid to take a loss when it's a dire situation.. Think it over well my friend. I do know I would never be asked to get rid of my guns, I would know when I need to get rid of my guns, let's put it that way. And there is nothing wrong with a little bit of a reward for all you do. It's not stingy, selfish, or self centered in anyway to have a hobby and something you enjoy doing, it is healthy and deserved.

·
I like this place !
673 Posts
Since retiring what I have found is that I can get as much pleasure shooting a $500 CZ as I did/do from shooting a $3000 Wilson Combat.

Before I retired I was fortunate to have a substantial income and retirement savings, so spending was not an issue. I had a number of $1000 + pistols. Now being retired even though funds are there, I prefer to sell a gun to buy a gun, and my price point is lower. I don’t think it’s fair use funds that might be needed later to “itch a scratch” I might have for a higher priced pistol.

I don’t mind pulling $200-$300 from the saving to add to a gun purchase, but I’m not going to pull $1000 or more just because it’s a pistol I want.

Biggest concern today is keeping a stock of ammo, not the price of the pistol I’m shooting it from.

·
resident crank
1,978 Posts
I don't keep guns I don't shoot, or that don't have some specific purpose. (Every man should have a shotgun, carbine, and a .22 rifle. I do, and don't shoot them, but keep them.)

I've even sold the "heirlooms", except dads Colt 1911. They were all new guns at one time. I have plenty of "mementos", so I don't have to have all of them.

My herd stays pretty slim.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts