1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite our love for the 1911, I know many here also run a Glock. In that spirit, I want to highlight a part that sometimes does not get much attention, but is worthy of servicing when you replace your other springs during routine maintenance. The part is the slide lock spring, located just forward of the locking block on your frame and keeps upward tension on the slide lock (not to be confused with the "slide stop") -- which in turn keeps the slide on the pistol. Bottom line: this spring can and does break over years of use and when it does, your slide will come off the frame as it returns to battery, just like if you were disassembling it -- this could be an unfortunate turn of events depending on when it happens. Here is a picture of the part for a GEN 1-4 pistol which is a type of leaf spring (note: this spring has become a coil type for GEN 5 and in the G42/43/43X/48.)

Metal Steel Silver Aluminium Household hardware

I had one break on my older GEN 3 Glock 19 (built circa 1992) and back then they used a very thin and tapered leaf spring that is more prone to breakage than the re-designed variant which is on all newer GEN 3 and GEN 4 pistols and is significantly more robust. Here is a picture of the old variant of the spring (left) and the newer design (right).

Blue Brown Product Yellow Amber

Even though the newer design is supposed to be stronger, I still change it out every time I swap out my RSA (~5000 rounds). That's probably overkill, but the part is easy to replace yourself and costs just a few bucks so it is cheap insurance on what might arguably be the "Achilles Heel" of Glock GEN 1-4 pattern pistols. If you don't know how to replace it, there are videos on Youtube (some better than others, so buyer beware) and good books available to help you out -- better yet, take an armorer's course or have an armorer do it for you -- it takes about 1-2 minutes. Either way, just make sure you get the slide lock itself oriented properly during re-installation as there is a right way and wrong way to do it. I recommend taking a look at it before you take it apart to ensure you get it put back together right.

Hope folks find this useful.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
That is a good tip. ....and while you're in there practicing preventive maintenancing I highly recommend you replace the stock slide lock with either the Brass Stacker, or the Deltac. The eBay Deltac seems to work fine at half the price, I have one in my dedicated .22 conversion model 17 frame. No related issues since the install months ago. Either one GREATLY aids in the field strip process.
https://brassstacker.com/glock/Trapezoid-Grip-Slide-Lock-for-Glock-Pistols.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metallic-G...043118&hash=item3d443862d1:g:4EAAAOSwOXBdkjiY

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep. I always recommend to replace the slide lock spring along with the trigger return spring at every recoil spring change.

Also take a light and inspect the mag catch spring for corrosion. Sweat can get in there.

If the slide lock or mag catch spring break flush with the frame, the frame is trash.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
What is the perceived benefit Don?
Makes field strip take-down much easier. The aftermarket replacement part sticks out the slightest bit more and being angled outward toward the bottom makes it easier to push down and release the slide. The factory lock can be a little difficult to grab.
Electric blue

·
Premium Member
28,624 Posts
Interesting part Don......I’ve never had much of a problem with it.
I can certainly understand the benefit....thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts