Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

In over my head

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Baldwin, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Baldwin

Baldwin Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I only got interested in handguns a couple of years ago. I started out with Glocks and then fell in love with Sigs. A couple of months ago, I decided that if I was really going to do this handgun thing, I needed a 1911. At that time, I knew a little about the history of the platform but not much specifically about the gun. So the internet research began. Early on I ran across Dan Wessons. I remember thinking "boy these things look nice but they sure are pricey". How ignorant I was. Soon I started running across The Names - Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, etc. When I went to their websites it was shock and awe. I couldn't believe what I saw. It's hard for me to describe how beautiful these handguns are. I saw a pic of a Stan Chen gun and it almost made me cry. These guys are as much artists as they are gunsmiths. This world of custom 1911s is something I didn't know existed. I do realize that these weapons function as well as look beautiful. They are handcrafted from high quality materials to very exacting specifications and their prices reflect that. Now is the time to ask some questions that may be viewed as personal, so please forgive me. It seems that everyone on this forum owns at least one of these fine handguns. So are all you guys loaded? If not, are you married? If so, what are you doing around the house that gets you the green light to drop 3 to 5k on a custom pistol? Please, I have to know. I heard about this forum on another 1911 forum where a comment was made that if you hang around 1911Addicts long enough it could get expensive. Now I know what he meant. Dan Wessons are starting to look like a bargain.
    salelcid, Grouchy, Jimhoag and 13 others like this.
  2. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    LMBO, some of us aren't even guys.

I wish I could have kept every 1911 that I've owned or even every firearm that I've owned. But unfortunately they have to be recycled. The mortgage comes first.

3. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 14, 2016
    Welcome. We are truly a group of addicts. We love most all firearms but the 1911 is very special to us. I am a newcomer compared to most here. Started with a colt, then a dan Wesson, but then I got my first guncrafter. I have never been the same since. This really is a great group. We support each others addiction. I often say, when you come here bring your check book. This is my only real vice. I choose to spend my disposable money on fine 1911's and some other platforms. Enjoy the ride, but bring your check book !
    Jimhoag, Slapshot, boatdoc and 8 others like this.
  4. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, I got my semi custom guns from the lawyer friend who handled my personal injury case... He is one my best friends now, but I often refer to him as my "bad influence". :)

Anyway, if you shop around, lots of 1911's in a lot of price ranges...
    Jimhoag and wcanterbury like this.
  5. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 28, 2017
    This is not your traditional support group. We are the enablers your Mama warned you about...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  6. deadguy

deadguy The Reverend Billy Graham Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    The secret to a happy marriage is not telling the wife about the 1911 addiction.
  7. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 28, 2017
    ^^^^ This is true. I just saw a GI No Name go up in the classifieds for $2250 or thereabouts. Two DWs at my LGS cost about $2800, incl tribute to the State.

That's still a bundle of coin, considering my Annie picked up a brand new, very nice Walther PPQ today for $650. But that's not a 1911, so there's that. She did get me a hat, tho.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  8. Mr. B

Mr. B Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 10, 2016
    OP, they like spending your money. 1911's are very addictive.
  9. wcanterbury

wcanterbury NRA Life Member, GOA Member Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Welcome from Western Colorado! A custom gun is what all of us want, but the price is half the story! Just imagine a 2-3 year waiting list for the best gunsmiths! :eek: You really can't go wrong with a Dan Wesson.

Here is a Colt. The series 70 makes a great base gun.

Click to enlarge the pictures and forgive my crappy phone photos!
    KS95B40, ronin11, WC145 and 6 others like this.
  10. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 6, 2017
    OK remember you asked the question.... I can’t speak for anybody but myself and I don’t know how old you are but I’m going to give you some advice. Find an older successful guy or two and listen to what they say. I’m a successful small business owner, my children are older, and my house and cars are paid for. It wasn’t that long ago that I was living paycheck to paycheck and $500 was a lot of money to spend on a gun. I could drive any car I want but I drive a 6 year old truck. I could live in a big house but I’ve been in this house for 20+ years. So the short answer is in order to have money you need to do without and live below your means. Instead of making a dollar and spending $2 you need to make 1.20 and spend $1. Save whatever % of your income that you can religiously and you’ll wake up one day, your kids will be out of the house, your house will be paid for, and you’ll be able to buy that pistol that you want with cash. I tell my kids you have to be able to pay for toys with cash or don’t buy them. Don’t compare your situation with anybody else’s. Do you and save a little bit of every paycheck and you’ll get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TheDoaner, tnhawk, Raven312 and 28 others like this.
  11. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2016
    Luckily, my wife's favorite gun is the 1911. She doesn't go shooting much, and I try to introduce her to other pistols. But when she shoots the 1911, it's like the clouds part, angels sing, and she says "I really like the 1911." Still haven't convinced her to carry - she's too confident in her self defense skills.

I'm a bargain hunter. I like to buy barely used pistols for a discount. Granted, they still can be in the $2200-$2800 range, but typically at a $600-$1000 discount from new.

Oh, and by the way, Dan Wessons are a bargain. Just create a list of high end parts to go into a base pistol build, and you can easily have $1000 worth of parts.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  12. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 23, 2014

Assuming of course you are not putting your family's financial stability at risk
  13. wcanterbury

wcanterbury NRA Life Member, GOA Member Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    This is the gospel truth!
  14. azguy1911

azguy1911 cocked and locked Supporting Addict

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm single, I prefer a cold gun to a warm women. But I'm weird. However, I do have an Ed Brown on the way......And, yes, DW's are the best bang for the buck. I have a CCO in 38 super and she's fine !
    Sneaky One and wcanterbury like this.
  15. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
  16. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    I stress way more over $20.00 sheez....lmbo
  17. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    I hear you. That is almost a box of primers
  18. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    Some of us specialize in the lower end of the spectrum . . . . more to share early next week.

Most I've dropped on a 1911 or any gun is $2.5k . . . .

It's a toss up over which of my 1911's is my best. It's either my semi custom Ed Brown or my fully semi custom Phineas C. Zoid build . . . .

PCZoid-grips-final - 01.JPG

PCZoid-grips-final - 07.JPG
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    The answer to your personal questions:
    Could be
    I’m sexy

Welcome from the Atlantic
    Port shark
    Mr. B, Jimhoag, wcanterbury and 6 others like this.
  20. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    The most I have spent so far in my life was $2600 for a rifle, and this forum has me contemplating the $3000-$4000 range for a pistol. Get out while you still can!

As for telling the wife, I don't. We both work, and we both buy things that we want (after putting a certain % of our paychecks into retirement savings first, of course).

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Draft saved Draft deleted