1911 Firearm Addicts banner

981 - 1000 of 1031 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #983
Photo of the day... prep and polish for bluing. I think I have more hours in this project than any before it, but this gun is a true one-off in many ways. Complimenting items have already been blued, now it’s time to finish the polish on the frame and the slide and blue them to match.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great stuff JB!! Going to be another happy Heirloom owner

Reactions: Jimhoag

·
Registered
104 Posts
Approximately how long does it take you to complete 1 pistol start to finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jason, you shooting for all three lugs in contact or will two suffice or is it whatever it will give you for a given gun? If you can get two or three lugs in contact from the start of the barrel fit does that reduce the slight amount of headspace increase you get as the round counts climbs? Seems I remember another smith saying that once the 3rd lug contacts the headspace wont' advance any after that.

Thanks!

Zack

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
Jason, you shooting for all three lugs in contact or will two suffice or is it whatever it will give you for a given gun? If you can get two or three lugs in contact from the start of the barrel fit does that reduce the slight amount of headspace increase you get as the round counts climbs? Seems I remember another smith saying that once the 3rd lug contacts the headspace wont' advance any after that.

Thanks!

Zack
Yes... more contact, more stability, more durability = more better. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Photo of the day... sight work on the current Colt “Classic” project gun.

Rear of frame and slide is blended, rear sight dovetail machining, and narrowing the front sight to .110”... which I almost got perfect. :rolleyes:

My calculations say that with 10 rapid succession rounds fired the heat transfer from barrel to slide to sight will generate enough thermal expansion to bring the thickness to exactly .110 +/- .00001

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Nice wrapping/ packaging, Certain he will be happy to unwrap that in Xmas morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

981 - 1000 of 1031 Posts