In the ear protection?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by jmr986, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Currently I use Howard Leight electronic muffs. For what I paid, around $26, I can’t complain and they do a decent job. Keep some foam plugs in the bag in case someone is shooting a .44 magnum at the indoor range. The only thing I could complain about is I sweat like a hooker in church in them. Always have to wipe the cups and band clean when done.

Was thinking of going in the ear style. Been looking at the reviews (electronic) and they generally get poor reviews. And they are expensive. Don’t mind paying to protect my hearing, but don’t like gambling with my money. Another option I have is my daughter’s friend is a hearing therapist (PhD) and she offered to get me a set.

Any opinions/feedback? Again, my muffs work just sweaty.

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    in for comments :popcorn:

Babboonbobo and simonp like this.

3. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I've heard damage can occur from sound transmission through the bone in back of the ear.
    Muffs protect this area, in the ear devices do not.

Capthobo, xerts1191, boatdoc and 4 others like this.
  5. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Me too because my muffs dont sit tight against my head because of my glasses

6. eboggs

eboggs Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2016
    MSA Sordins with Gel Inserts. In ear isn’t the greatest and can still cause hearing loss over time. Same with the slims like the Sordins or the slim Peltors. Recommended you double up even with those, while they are slim line and tactical, they aren’t as effective as the big ol ones you can still buy, which usually offer the best protection.

I wear MSA Sordins (Liberator II’s) with comms at work and regular non comm MSA Sordins for personal use...love them both, but indoors I would benefit from doubling up.

The gel inserts mold perfectly around eye pro and are EXTREMELY comfortable. I would take the slims over in ear any day....I will never wear the huge, effective over ear protection however...They just aren’t tacticool enough for me.

boatdoc likes this.
  7. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I shoot mostly pistols, mostly outside. For this purpose I use Moldex Battleplugs. If I am shooting I have the little plug in, if I am running the chainsaw or such, I often have the little plug out.

battleplugs__43291.1540501641.jpg

When I am shooting loud stuff I wear my Howard Leights which I upgraded the ear cup with aftermarket gel cups. If money were no option, I'd have MSA Sordins, I just can't quite swing it, when my cheap stuff works ok.

8. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I been using Surefire earplugs. Same idea as ones above with the plug.

9. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I've studied hearing protection for firearms. You're going to want as much as you can get. And you want to wear full ear covering earmuffs. And earplugs too for good measure. Especially in an indoor range as sound exposure from guns indoors is greater.

Sounds 130 dB and louder can potentially cause instant hearing loss. Firearms are 140-150 dB. Large bore rifles can sometimes get up to 190, and this is dangerous.

The short answer is that no pair of earplugs can keep your hearing safe. Only earmuffs can, and they must be the best you can get.

The most protection earplugs can offer is approximately 5 dB, and firearms are 140-150 so they will not be enough by a long shot. The advertised noise reduction rating (NRR) on hearing protection accessories is not the true level of dB protection they actually offer.

I use earmuffs with a NRR of 34 dB (highest on the market is 35) and I put in earplugs too for good measure. According to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), the NRR advertised on hearing protection does not mean it will protect you from that many dB. My pair says it has a NRR of 34 dB, however you must first take that number and subtract it by 7, then divide by 2. This will give you the true number of dB it protects from as stated by OSHA. And they know what they're talking about.

If you want to keep your hearing, please take OSHA public information seriously. I learned this myself

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    DanMcinPA, FredZ, jmr986 and 3 others like this.
  10. oneoff

oneoff New Member

May 3, 2014
    While I’m not sure about Alexy’s numbers, his analysis is 100%. We have lots of choices, but there is only one that makes good sense to me, and that is plain old plugs and phones at the same time, no electronics.

Guns, chain-saws, motorcycles, and rock-n-roll, boats, & heavy equipment had all taken a serious toll on my hearing by 30 years old. Especially the right ear. My doctors saw the decline, but I did little about it other than protect myself from the guns, kinda. After all, every father figure I had went through the military without protection (but, oh yeh, they were all hard of hearing too!).

In my 30’s I began working as a marine engineer for a major transportation company and was forced into a 119db environment “most” of the time and mandatory monitoring of my hearing loss. Using good (but cheap) plugs and 29-33db muffs, my hearing loss stopped. That’s just a fact.

I watched guys all around me tell me expensive electronic hearing protection helped them communicate, ya’ll know that story. I communicated just fine, with less hearing ability than they, and they continued to experience hearing loss where I did not.

I take the opposite tack from the OP, as I put plugs in even approaching noise now, and add muffs when its too much. Anything over a .22 rifle is probably muffed.

I too wear glasses, but wire-rims so that the muffs seal just pretty good. When the foam gets stiff, it gets thrown out.

Just wanted to back Alexy up here with my experience. There’s a lot of money to be made in gimmickry and hearing aids, and I’ve given liberally to this cause. What a waste! We can’t talk about it forever, only until we can’t hear each other anymore.

jmr986 and ronin11 like this.
  11. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    what brand?

12. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I value my hearing and my eye sight.

I use elvex lugs and either sordins or proear gold muffs. works well indoors and outside as well

LPRoad likes this.
  13. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Even if I don't upgrade my muffs, I'm taking the excellent advice offered, and doubling up protection on my ears. Try shooting at an indoor range when the dude next to you has a 8 3/8 629 .44 magnum!

BenchMonkey likes this.
  14. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Lemme guess, you've tried until your blue in the face about shooting .44 spcl right?

jmr986 likes this.
  15. SRTCOP

SRTCOP Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I'm trying to save what hearing I have left after my tour of duty in the RVN. I was told by a Navy doctor that the incessant howling that I experienced would go away when I was no longer around the sounds of war, and at 19, I was naïve enough to believe him.

I would give up my disability pay and just about anything I own to stop the incessant howling of tinnitus. Unfortunately, however, it is too late for me. Do WHATEVER YOU CAN to save your hearing!

Today, I always double up, and use custom molded ear plugs, plus MSA Sordins w/Gel Inserts.

john_anch_ak and BenchMonkey like this.
  16. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Dated an audiologist for awhile when I was Div Cav in the Army. We, and helicopter pilots, were exposed to extreme volumes constantly, especially in Bradleys.
    We wore what today MSA Sordin makes, but wore them in our CVC helmets. Offered good protection from sound, but I learned some things from her:
    1. Electronic hearing protection is fast, but not immediate. May be faster than you can perceive, but something still has to tell it to 'shut the door' if you will, and that's a loud noise. So, some will always get through.
    2. Constant concussion is bad for your hammer/stirrup/anvil bones in your ear. So while your eardrum is being protected by in-the-ear inserts, you are still damaging the small bones of your ears. Will take more time to damage, but will.
    So, I double up whether indoors or outdoors. I wear foamies and a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X. Really the MSAs offer the sound amplification when talking, and are just added buffer when shooting. Plus, the gel is comfy and really easy on the ears. I've actually since replaced them with Noisefighter cups that have a cutout on the top so your shooting glasses fit without being pushed against your head.
    The foamies you can buy off amazon for $20 a metric ton, and the MSA Supremes go on sale all the time. Altogether you'll set yourself back less than $300 and be comfy and well protected.

DanMcinPA, FredZ and BenchMonkey like this.
  17. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Walkers, and now Remmington brand too. It's the same make and model, just a different brand.

eboggs likes this.
  18. tightloops

tightloops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
  19. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted