1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's here, is the first one on the forum without a rail?

Obviously, @Cajun Concealed was amazing to work with and I'm delighted to be ranging it tomorrow at SGC with this little tank. It's small, solid and feels like Wilson quality. It's not as gripping as one would think so I'm interested to see if I'll need some grip tape

I'll take some pictures against my G43 tomorrow afternoon.

I'm pretty disappointed I won't be at the Prescott meet-up but I have been deathly sick since I return from SHOT SHOW on January 23rd and I started my second round of antibiotics and some steroids today and my doctor is exploring how to get me tested for the coronovirus since I was in LA and Las Vegas twice since January 1st. He's says it's a 1 in 10,000 chance but figured he would see what the testing procedures are.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Stk218 could you get the round out or was it wedged into the chamber? That's a pretty interesting miss-feed. Maybe I'll have my brother shoot the first few magazines :p

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
I think mine is soon to arrive at Jess's place... Even though it is outfitted for Mrs. C. I'm anxious to put it up against its older, bigger brothers.

Range report when you have time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
@Stk218 could you get the round out or was it wedged into the chamber? That's a pretty interesting miss-feed. Maybe I'll have my brother shoot the first few magazines :p
It was manually extracted with just a carefully placed tap from the muzzle end. My mistake while loading the mags for the first time using the Maglula UpLula loader.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shot one recently and absolutely loved everything about it . Great blaster
With the flush fit, it's pretty short, I have small to medium hands and I'm not getting any real part of my pinky on there but it'll conceal well.

Couple more snaps the grip, the internals and my go-to-lube

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got ya, those things are tricky but save the fingers if you are loading up a bunch of mags

Reactions: Dub and Stk218

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RANGE REPORT

I was more concerned about shooting than pictures but I ran about 100 rounds through her and I'm pretty satisfied it's a great G43 replacement. The plastic vs more rubbery (my idea of what they should have done) grip wasn't an issue but I was inside in a controlled environment and not outside on a 110 degree day. I think the grip being considerably larger/thicker helps with overall grip purchase.

It's easy to mistake these for 1911's but they are not. The grip angle is vastly different and it took several magazines to get from shooting 6-10" low at 30 ft to tight groupings. Maybe the reduced sight radius effects that as well, IDK.

The flush cut magazine makes the over length SHORT and I have medium sized hands. I can't get any part of my pinky-finger on the weapon. For anyone with larger mitts you'll be using the 15 round extension magazine all the time. However, for us smaller individuals for conceal carry purposes and the "God forbid" self defense scenario the flush fit is the ticket, 10+1.

It feels better and more familiar in the hand than the G43 and it's far more accurate. The trigger is quite good and virtually the same as any 1911 that I own. I found the safety a little difficult to know 100% if it was off or on by feel and the location seems far different than a 1911. It just feels "higher and father" back. I'm sure after 1,000 rounds vs 100 it'll feel more natural.

By the end of the session I was running 3" groupings at 15' and 6" and 30 ft. At least in my hands, the G43 is not capable of that.

Target picture was my last mag running the the 15+1 at 30 ft in rather quick succession, not rapid fire or a mag dump but simple, quick target acquisition between each shot.

1a.jpg
1b.jpg
1c.jpg

0826180945.jpg

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,307 Posts
RANGE REPORT

I was more concerned about shooting than pictures but I ran about 100 rounds through her and I'm pretty satisfied it's a great G43 replacement. The plastic vs more rubbery (my idea of what they should have done) grip wasn't an issue but I was inside in a controlled environment and not outside on a 110 degree day. I think the grip being considerably larger/thicker helps with overall grip purchase.

It's easy to mistake these for 1911's but they are not. The grip angle is vastly different and it took several magazines to get from shooting 6-10" low at 30 ft to tight groupings. Maybe the reduced sight radius effects that as well, IDK.

The flush cut magazine makes the over length SHORT and I have medium sized hands. I can't get any part of my pinky-finger on the weapon. For anyone with larger mitts you'll be using the 15 round extension magazine all the time. However, for us smaller individuals for conceal carry purposes and the "God forbid" self defense scenario the flush fit is the ticket, 10+1.

It feels better and more familiar in the hand than the G43 and it's far more accurate. The trigger is quite good and virtually the same as any 1911 that I own. I found the safety a little difficult to know 100% if it was off or on by feel and the location seems far different than a 1911. It just feels "higher and father" back. I'm sure after 1,000 rounds vs 100 it'll feel more natural.

By the end of the session I was running 3" groupings at 15' and 6" and 30 ft. At least in my hands, the G43 is not capable of that.

Target picture was my last mag running the the 15+1 at 30 ft in rather quick succession, not rapid fire or a mag dump but simple, quick target acquisition between each shot.

View attachment 426893 View attachment 426895 View attachment 426897

View attachment 426899

Just so you know, that grip is solid aluminum. Nice shooting! My contact at Wilson said they are working on various mag basepads

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great to hear, I'm probably being picky but a 12 rounder that's half as long as the 15 rounder would be perfect (for at least me) and I'd have 12+1 which is impressive in a small gun and use the 15 as a back up magazine. If after 28 shots I didn't get the job done -- I'd be running my *ss off and cursing my bad shooting :)

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
RANGE REPORT

View attachment 426893 View attachment 426895 View attachment 426897

View attachment 426899
Thanks for the report and insight.
I kind of ordered this for Mrs. C. and did ask for an additional flush mag for her. Sounds like I should have also ordered an additional long for me. OR.......... I could cut off a finger!

Reactions: zChambers

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@TheCollector

I'll be interested in your thoughts and feedback. I need to weigh both the G43 and EDC X9S with full magazines -- just for giggles and carry the EDC X9S to see the real replacement value and difference between the two.

I picked up and started playing around with the G43 because my brother wanted to be a "glock guy" when he got into shooting last year and I wanted to acquire the knowledge to help him out (like disassembly).

Then I saw the value in carrying a super small, super light, thin gun and when out and about running errands, etc I started carrying it more and more and even got to be pretty proficient shooting it

At first, when I picked up the G43 I could hardly shoot it as the trigger was horrific, take-up, travel, break, etc. I ended up through hrs of research buying a Johnny Glock trigger assembly and OMG while nearly the price of the gun it's as described, firm break, short take-up and a game changer.

Anyway, after another 500 rounds I'll have another update on the newest, smallest Wilson Combat

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sort of a follow-up, I've been shooting this more during the lock-down and was at the range with the Les Baer for a quick session and brought the X9S along.

I'll have to say for as good as this gun is and the fact you can carry 10+1 with 15 as a spare in a super sub-compact it should get way more love. It's light, easy to shoot and plenty accurate enough.

The safety is a little hard to get to and you don't get the sense (at least I don't) with feel if it's off or on, but boy, for maximum capacity and conceal-ability is to has to be ranked #1 in both those areas.

The target was a rapid fire mag dump at 20 feet

0525201356.jpg
0525201356a.jpg
0525201357.jpg
0525201359.jpg

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's one of the best handguns I have ever owned. WC says a single finger baseplate is coming soon. Will make it the perfect EDC
I agree 100%, the 15 round magazine looks dumb in the gun and the 10 round mag just isn't enough grip purchase (and I have average hands), I'm excited to hear that. That's the first I heard of it, so thanks

·
813 Posts
How does the recoil compare to a larger double stack like a g19 or maybe commander 1911?

Is the grip the same width as the EDC X9, or slightly slimmer?

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Recoil is very interesting, it's seems to expel its energy back into your hand and not into muzzle flip. The above target was a 15 round rapid fire mag-dump and that's a pretty tight group at 20 ft.

I have some pictures from when I had it at the range with my G43.

It's about 35-40% thicker than the G43 but doesn't feel thick or unmanageable and I usually run thin grips on my 1911.

IMG_20200229_103159_074.jpg
IMG_20200229_103159_075.jpg
IMG_20200229_103159_074.jpg

·
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMG_20200228_181309_217.jpg
IMG_20200228_181309_205.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts