Dan Wesson Initial Breakin for 1911…

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by DerrtyMac, Mar 16, 2019.

1. DerrtyMac

DerrtyMac New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Hey there,

So I picked up my first 1911, DW VBOB .45, today and was searching through the forum to find breakin advice. (this is my first ever forum along with another I joined yesterday at the same time)
    I remember seeing, not sure where or which forum, about initial breakin procedures people have used for their 1911.
    From what I recall this is what I plan on doing:
    1) Field strip and clean, deburr any rough spots and edges
    2) I plan on greasing the rails, TW25B, and starting with FP-10 lube as suggested by DW
    3) rack the 1911 roughly 100-200x, some said without barrel in so may need some clarification on that
    4) Field strip and clean again, checking for more burr’s and touching up
    5) as per DW instructions fire 50 rounds then field strip and clean again, will do this for 500 total. Starting off feeding as many different FMJ rounds as I can get my hands on for the first 250 give or take, then mixing in different JHP to see what it likes and doesn’t

That’s the plan right now. Any other advice, or blunt criticism, would be helpful.
    Pic is of my VBOB

Attached Files:

Dub and BR549er like this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I would not rack the slide to break it in, lube it up and shoot it! Mine took a couple hundred rounds to get 'broken in'. Nice looking gun you have.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Yeah... way to much for me...

I take it out of the package make sure its lubed.. Then shoot the hell out of it.
    Dont typically field strip till after 400-500rds.

4. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    It’s duty treated.
    Clean with Kroil, lube with FP-10 and just shoot it. There won’t be anything to debur.

5. DerrtyMac

DerrtyMac New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Well like I said, I basically just took what I found on different places and came up with my own plan.
    But I will take your advice and make the call after I clean and lube it up. My understanding is DW slides are tight so I may just let the rounds do the job.
    Thanks

6. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Well, Fred and I may bump heads here.......

I buy a new pistol, shot gun or what ever and the 1st thing I do is break it down, clean it, lube it and put it back together......Then I rack it a couple 100 times, break it down, wipe it clean, lube it and rack it again....You have racked it, cleaned it and lubed it again head to the range....That is what I have done for God only knows how many years....Does it make any difference I don't have a clue but I haven't.

Someone buy 2 SA Milspecs....Rack one and take the other to the range our of the box and see if they both run.

Karsten

Dub and removed like this.
  7. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    You will love the Duty Treat!
    Keep it lubed and just shoot!

Dub, removed, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  8. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Break-in period is mostly leverage for gun companies to excuse failures. A gun should run out of the box.

9. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Personally, I field strip and inspect every newly purchased firearm I ever bought. New or used. I have found crap in barrels that should have not been there more than once. Lube the hell out if and run it.

ImperialBlade and 41 Charlie like this.
  10. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I agree no gun should require a breakin. Run it wet ad shoot the hell out of it.

11. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    On my Dan Wesson VBOB, it took around 200 rounds to get past the occasional failure to go into battery. When it happened, it just took a slight nudge with my left palm to seat the round. I felt that the VBOB was slightly under sprung, so replaced the recoil spring with something a little heavier. Never needed any special care after that.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  12. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    You are making this much harder than it really is. Have broken in more 1911's than I can remember. It IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Lube it well, very well now this is what I do but I shoot on my own property.

Load 10 magazines or so then shoot them rapidly I do it in about 2 minutes. Gun will be very warm actually hot and when you are done it will be broken in. Private or public shooting ranges most likely will not allow as rapid as I shoot them BUT. When you are finished it will be broken in.

Hogleg, removed and Babboonbobo like this.
  13. DerrtyMac

DerrtyMac New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    It’s not rocket science good sir
    It’s rocket surgery

ImperialBlade and BR549er like this.
  14. Esox

Esox Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Exactly this:thumbs:

15. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Mine ran out of the box, it shoots as well now as it did then.

16. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    No need for de-burring usually, no grease just good oil, run it wet and most of all, ENJOY! I do clean my DW like the manual every 50 for first 500

Dub, removed and BR549er like this.
  17. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well maybe I am tired but have no idea what you are saying lol. Anyway good luck.

DerrtyMac likes this.
  18. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Brain science and rocket surgery, as opposed to brain surgery and rocket science.

I'm a brain scientist, I know these things. And as a rocket surgeon and owner of two Duty Treat DWs, I second Dwe and tarosean.

Hogleg, removed and DWdude like this.
  19. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I shot factory ammo instead of my reloads when I was breaking in my Dan Wesson. That was just to remove a variable if there was a problem. I had no problems during break in or since.

ImperialBlade, BR549er and DWdude like this.
  20. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Not butting heads with you Karstan, just think shooting the gun does more to break it in than racking the slide.

Just my thoughts on break in vs run out of the box is a gun with a bit of a break in period would be fitted a little tighter. Good or bad, I can't say. But it did take a couple hundred rounds to get my DW running like a top. Should DW break them in? I don't know. To me, 'breaking in' a new 1911 is just fun. I am kinda weird like that.

ImperialBlade likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted