1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Initial impressions on Atlas Titan

475 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Stormy
TLDR: Buy an Atlas (or higher tier), it's worth it

I have a modded Staccato P (Vulcan steel grip, flat trigger, ICE comp) that I was satisfied with, but I've been wanting a higher end 2011. When USPSA announced Limited Optics, I decided to place an order for the Titan. Why the Titan over the Athena? Because it's cheaper, no other reason. Prior to ordering, I had never seen an Atlas or shot anything nicer than my modded P or my friend's XL.

After I ordered it, I kept wondering if it would be worth it. I'm a low B class shooter, so wasn't sure if I could appreciate the difference between the Titan and something like my P or the XL. I got it in on Friday and went to the indoor range to sight it in, then spent both Saturday and Sunday at the outdoor range breaking it in and running some drills. The only thing I can say is that the gun is incredible. It has the smoothest action I've ever felt on a handgun. I can't feel the barrel unlocking or the disconnector at all when you rack it. It has slightly more muzzle rise than the comped P, but the slide returns a lot smoother and more predictable. The XL has a similar muzzle rise, but it feels snappier when returning. You can't even compare the P without the comp to the Titan.

The trigger came out the box at 2 pounds but has settled at 1.5-1.6 lbs on my gauge. I went with the aggressive step panel which was a mistake. They aren't lying when they say it's aggressive as it drew blood on all three days. Ended up sanding it down slightly so we'll see how that turns out. The thumb rest slide stop is really nice, but couldn't run it as it wouldn't fit in my current holster (have a new one coming in on Wednesday). The palm swell and angled safeties are both features that you wouldn't think make a big difference, but once you try it there's no going back. So far the only "con" I see is that their DLC doesn't appear to be as good as what Staccato uses. I'm seeing a bit more wear than I expected for the amount of holster draws I've done.

Some people ask if it's worth the premium over a cheaper 2011 and I say yes. It costs twice as much as a P, but yes, it is twice as good as a stock P. Ask me in a few months when the hype wears off, but I think I'll say the same thing. Now I definitely have to try an Infinity... I've put 958 rounds through it so far without a single issue. Running it at a match on Saturday so we'll see how it performs, but I have a good feeling.

See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
What is the "aggressive step panel"?
The panel on the left side of the gun. They offer a panel with a ledge for your support hand. They have it in the normal and aggressive textures. I bought the aggressive texture and it caused my upper palm to start bleeding lol
The panel on the left side of the gun. They offer a panel with a ledge for your support hand. They have it in the normal and aggressive textures. I bought the aggressive texture and it caused my upper palm to start bleeding lol
Got it — thx.
Interestingly enough I found the iron sight Titan to have less muzzle rise the Titan RDS. I suspect something to do with weight of optic on slide and lack of main/large lightening cut towards rear of slide that non rds Titans have. Both phenomenal shooters though.
Nice gun! Titan is one of my favorites. They shoot ok too!
See less See more
Reactions: 5
Looks awesome, it should help pull you up through the rankIngs.

Congrats !
I too ended up being an Atlas fan boy after shooting them. I have both a Hyperion and a Titan with Irons, as well as a Nyx and Erebus with optics. They are truly IMHO the best bang for the buck. My Staccatos are now someone else’s, ha ha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1
Looks awesome, it should help pull you up through the rankIngs.

Congrats !
I think it'll help out a bit. Last month I shot El Presidente (known to be a more difficult classifier) with the Staccato. Got what would be 55% in LO so I was certainly disappointed with my performance. Shot a couple of El Pres on Sunday with the Atlas and they were all 62-64%. Not great, but a noticeable improvement.
Reactions: 2
My buddy is picking up his Titan in the next couple of weeks. Great review on the Titan, thanks!
My buddy is picking up his Titan in the next couple of weeks. Great review on the Titan, thanks!
He's going to enjoy it. Took it out to this bowling pin match my LGS hosts and got the match win. Let several people shoot it afterwards and everyone seemed impressed. Sitting at 1096 rounds without cleaning. I'd like to keep going to see how long it'll last, but I have a match on Saturday and don't want to risk any issues.
The very first time I shot my Atlas Athena I was grinning from ear to ear. Atlas really does make a remarkable handgun.
Reactions: 3
That looks awesome! I may have to get one of those.
Just picked this one up from another member. Can’t wait to shoot it.

See less See more
Reactions: 2
Just picked this one up from another member. Can’t wait to shoot it.
No rail gang representing. Makes it slightly heavier, but I think it gives it a unique look.
I love the look either way. I’m not an operator or a gamer hanging flashlights that will never be actuated so it doesn’t matter.

My Artemis has the rail.

To me, 2011’s just look so much better with full dust cover/full length rails.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts