1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I try and progress my skill level and knowledge more and better tooling is a requirement.

What is your preferred method of measuring the inside diameter of a barrel bushing or slide other then the back of a standard micrometer?

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
I have gauge pins from .011" to .5" in one thou increments, so I use micrometers when measuring larger things that require tenths accuracy. For measuring things to +/- a thou (most pistol measurements) my calipers are fine.

My mentor taught me how to properly use calipers. It's a bit of an art though, and no two calipers are the same. When I get a new caliper I test it on various gauge blocks and pins until I can determine the proper tension for a accurate measurement. Worked for him. Works for me. YMMV. :)

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
I just ordered new Mitutoyo calipers. They should be here today. I also have gauge pins up to .25” but I need to order the next set to .5”.
Dial or digital? I have digital Starrett mics but for one reason on another I prefer a dial on my calipers. I have a US made Starett 6" dial caliper that goes everywhere I do in my shop. I'd be lost without it. :)

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dial or digital? I have digital Starrett mics but for one reason on another I prefer a dial on my calipers (maybe for extrapolation?). I have a US made Starett 6" dial caliper that goes everywhere I do in my shop. I'd be lost without it. :)
Digital.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I too prefer dials on my calipers, I use carbide tipped Mitutoyo calipers
94043505-F8FD-424D-96DD-A1FC4DF370C7.jpeg

Also for up to 2” I have actual inside mics from Starret that measure in .0001”
Two sets cover everything from .2”-1.2” and 1”-2” then gage pins up to .250 for smaller holes.
FFE2B143-F977-47F6-8306-5318912DD672.jpeg

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
You have good taste. :)

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
That will work too! :)

I'm not one to get the most expensive tools available, but I do want something that works well and repeats.

So now that I'm retired and broke, I hope all of my tools outlast me! :D

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
I’ve found eBay to be a good source for starrett tools. I think I got my depth gauge and a 120a for under $80.
Checked both for accuracy when I received them and they’ve been great for me.
I too purchased much of my tooling on eBay. There are a lot of fakes on there (especially Starrett and Mitu), so I am very careful with whom I do business.

Reactions: ChuckC

·
Dremel jockey
4,080 Posts
Gage pins over expensive micrometers.
And you really don't need the entire sets over .500".
.698" -.705" for slide ID's.
.577" - .582" for bushing ID's.
Individual pins are pretty inexpensive.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,149 Posts
Ball end telescoping spring loaded T guage allows for difernt depth measurements for consistency and contricity at front middle and full depth of any internal cylinder.

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
In my own defense, I do a lot more in my shop than pistols. No way I'm giving up my mics. :)

Reactions: Babboonbobo

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Chuck. I had not thought about buying individual sizes either.

That seems like a good route for what I need to accomplish.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
In my own defense, I do a lot more in my shop than pistols. No way I'm giving up my mics. :)
Exactly, I’m a journeyman tool and die maker and need these for my actual job! But having all these tools at my disposal really makes other things much nicer. Like measuring a bushing i.d.

·
The Tinker
3,572 Posts
Exactly, I’m a journeyman tool and die maker and need these for my actual job! But having all these tools at my disposal really makes other things much nicer. Like measuring a bushing i.d.
Exactly! :)

For example, when Greg mentioned that slide gauge, I thought "hey, I could make one of those!" At the same time I could make a bushing gauge as well. They'd be handy to keep on the handwork bench.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts