Installing new sights

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Carolinaboy, Dec 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    I was attempting to drift my factory Novak NS out of my Kimber. Well after putting some heat to the slide with a hair dryer......slide was freezing cold from sitting in the safe in the truck most of the night (couldn't carry, across state lines)

I tried to drift out the sights....yes I removed the screw in the center. I attempted to drift it out with the nylon punch, then with a brass punch that was taped up and the slide was taped up

I got nowhere. The vise base was tight and the slide was firmly in the wooden/leather vise jaws I've made ( and removed several sights from other 1911s & XDs). I just couldn't get it to budge. Should I add some oil or something down in the hole to break up the loctite?

I've done sights before but not these low ride novak style sights....didn't know if these were to be treated differently???

Any help would be much appreciated

-Jeff

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    might just be really tight.

when i fit new sights, i fit them tight and use a sight pusher to install them, then loctite on the dovetail as well.

3. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    I've been thinking about investing in a sight pusher....which one do you have?

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
  5. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    Looks like a Torture device :lol:

Hmmm....may have to just bight the bullet and get that

6. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    sure does, doesn't it?

There are other pushers out there, but this one has been working for me over the years.

7. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    Nice Midway has them on sale till the end of the year.....Christmas present...to myself

8. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
  9. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
  10. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks, Quack. It's just that I hate to hear that people are having trouble with installing or removing. We thought we would make it a no brainer and help some guys out. Seriously, we did gold beads on a Wilson and an Ed Brown last week, and we spent at least an hour per sight just file fitting the front sights to the slides. The Wilson got a Wilson brand gold bead front sight, and it took the most time to install.

Without going on an explanational tirade, I will say that all of the dovetails vary, and the sights themselves vary. We have the right tools to do the job correctly. Most guys don't have 65 degree dovetail files laying around.:) Even if the sight is made by the same manufacturer as the gun and is made for that particular gun, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be a picnic to fit.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Do you cut the slides to fit sights? I know the price would be higher.

12. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    We offer the full menu. Currently cutting 2 stock colt slides for dovetail fronts and 10-8 rears. Also a Springfield GI Champion for the same setup. Novak style rear sight cuts are pretty straight forward to do. You just need the right cutter and the know how. We usually charge $40 to do the sight cut and $20 to install each sight.

13. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Cool I have a Colt 1991 that I want novack style sights installed. Will call you after X-Mass to get that done.

14. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Op, if you are trying to remove a factory Kimber sight, good luck getting it out with a punch. They are pressed in there hydraulically.

The last Kimber I changed sights on required me cutting the rear sight in half to get it out of the dovetail. This was after trying heat with a MAP gas torch. I was tempted to break out the big boy torches but thought it was best to just cut it instead. I was so afraid of going too deep and hitting the slide but it all worked out in the end.

You should take Alchemy up on his sight promotion.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  15. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    Sounds good, LK. Believe me, we're not above cutting sights out too. :) Especially those pesky blind pinned Baer fronts. I've only seen one of those cut out, actually. When I first started at Springfield, they had a hydraulic press for rear sights on P9's. It was a pain. The sights were so much bigger than the dovetail cut that you literally shaved metal off the sight during installation. You had to pull the burr off and cold blue every single rear sight.

16. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
  17. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    That's a cool looking gat there LK. We can fix you up.

18. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks you'll here from me after the holidays.

19. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted