1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
While not a full-build on this one, I’m very glad @Steve Owens was able to perform vital repair work on this Springfield Armory GSP2000 Gunsite Service Pistol. While making this gun right again, he installed a new Commander-style hammer and replaced the gun’s plastic mainspring housing with the nifty stippled metal MSH shown.

This gun shoots great again and is fully back in my 1911 carry lineup.

Pictured target shows the result of 66 rounds at 7 yards, a mix of 230-grain FMJs and JHPs, 2- and 3-shot strings including Mozambique / failure drills from low-ready, with magazines drawn from
I am not belittling your shooting, but as a challenge, start moving back to 10 yards, then 15 and so on. If you have to slow down, slow down. Speed comes with practice and it helps build a better skill set

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
I was going to say if I have to hand checker I’m out lmbo...
One sad fact about the way things are done now vs the good old days, the mainspring checkering was wrap around. That helped for folks with small hands vs the MSH that are checkered and actually above the line of the frame. This actually increases the mass on the frame.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
View attachment 322081 View attachment 322083 View attachment 322085 A little if everything going on.. Frim barrel hood fitting, to fitting and blending btgs, flush and crown barrel, seen it all just in a weekend.

What did you guys do for fun this weekend.. (Theoretical question) no need to answer lol. Thread has went nuts.. I think I’ve lost some viewers..
I had to pull graveyard shift this weekend. Helped out some of the locals. They have some of the units with so many lights, I normally let them know that people might not understand being pulled over by UFOs. ;)

I'll call probably this week, I think I have a handle on what I want done for the meantime. PS the work on this one pretty much made up my mind.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
I don't think a good custom gun should ever get old, it's like with the guns I have had awhile and I have quite a few, semi-custom, DW's etc.. and some non 1911 but, the same ones always go to the range with me, because there is something special about them... I may take 3-4 but, no matter how many I take my favorite always goes.. I want to know if my build for a client is one of their favorites to shoot after the initial breaking in and bonding time so to speak.. I want to know if the excitement has worn off or if they still Love it... ;) And if something isn't right for one reason or another, I want to make it right..
This brings back every single competition series 70... When they got shot out (and started cracking) I had them fixed and passed them onto novices.... Wish I'd kept at least one. With the checkered main spring housing, no one does wrap around checkering on the backstrap anymore.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
I did wrap around checkering on my single-stack competition pistols. My mentor said it was ugly. I told him it works. ;)
Bet your bippy it did. If you don't have huge paws, every thousandths you cut down on the frame, including not using the stock checkered main spring housings does count. Only 1911 that came out of the box and fits my strong arm hand is the RO Champion I just got.. it really surprised me.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
OMG, I think that is as sick as I've ever been wow.. 2 whole weeks of full blown flu. I don't recall ever being that sick for that long. First I've fought anything in years. I was beginning to think this one was going to do me in. Was starting to think pneumonia..

But, I think it's done now I hope..
If it gets worse, see your doctor. I got Pneumonia about 8 years ago after getting a Flu shot. No damn fun at all.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
Really great 8-9 shot groupings. Gun has turned out to be everything we wanted it to be. Not far from being finished. Flute the barrels, carry bevel the slide, a bit more prep and finish work, then it's just a matter of getting the sight back and she will be ready to come home...
Steve, what's a carry bevel? Sorry that's new to me.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
Wow near 80 degrees here in Ohio today, and forecasted to be 79 both tomorrow and Tuesday. Then down to the mid 50s. Amazing I just cut the grass day before yesterday as it was getting really high.. I have never seen indian summer this late in the year usually mid October.. Hey, not complaining, I'll take it with all the other challenges the last few weeks, any good news is greatly received and appreciated. I am at a loss as to what to wear though I really hate to spend the last few days of really nice weather in the shop, but work must go on. I am hoping to make a trip south early this week and then I need a trip to the welder.. Afterwards, it's on to the next batch after ordering up some last minute parts yesterday, and getting a bunch of organization done. Finally ready to start next group..

Harrumph! Back to work!!! Low 70s here, stuck in a Crown Vic and my butt hurts.

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Nick.. Hope you all had a wonderful day today.

That goes for everyone btw...

I had to bring an extra heater into the shop today. It's crazy really the space is smaller then last winter and it's the exact same heater, but it's colder in here than it ever got last year. The steel shed where I have my blasting cabinets was 9 below today. Btw did I ever say how bad I hate winter. Lol..
Merry XMAS to you and Family Steve.

I need to fix the heater in the bathroom. I hate frozen toilet seats!

·
Premium Member
12,618 Posts
Yes. Driving to Florida and back again from Michigan, I have to say Ohio is the most exciting states of the bunch to drive trough. Forests abounding. As well as the state police.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Last time I drove through Ohio was to Camp Perry. Had a ball. Going through Pennsylvania was one of the worst thunder storms I've seen. Couldn't go faster than 15 mph.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts