1911 Firearm Addicts banner
2,721 - 2,740 of 6,457 Posts
Discussion starter · #2,723 ·
Steve how do you keep surface rust from happening during a build and during transportation to the finisher? So you just keep everything oiled down?
After cleaning, bead blasting and final cleaning everything gets oiled and then I keep my shop at about 68 degrees. But most everything stays pretty much oiled yeah. Have only had flash rusting once while at the finisher.

Keeping the shop cool and cutting down on moisture helps obviously, but most of this stuff doesn't rust as fast as you'd think. Contaminated media is probably the worst enemy for rusting. So, I change media pretty regularly..

Steve,

For those of us in AZ.................... could you explain what rust is?

:roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

Sorry.......... I got a little carried away.

Discussion starter · #2,725 ·
Steve,

:roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

Florida is bad also ocean air not good on them either got to heave a separate oil can for each pistol..

Steve,

Come spend an hour with me here on the coast and you can observe the process. Spend 2 hours and see rust on some stainless.

Come spend an hour with me here on the coast and you can observe the process. Spend 2 hours and see rust on some stainless.
I spent 55+ years in western WA..... Believe me, I know what rust AND webbed feet are.. :confused::confused:

I am just as excited to work on these pistols for you guys as you are for me to get started. I don't get to do a bunch of Springers but, I like working on them.. So, they will be special for sure. You can bet on that...
I’m currently plotting a Springfield GI model with vertical cocking serrations that we can do something classy with

Discussion starter · #2,736 ·
Getting ready to Rock-n-Roll. 3 to strip first, then clean then on to the glass bead.. Today and tomorrow's prep will alleviate me of 50lbs of glass bead media. So, I'll be having to order another 150lbs soon. Honestly the expenses of running a shop in this industry can sometimes be like a never ending spending spree. Lol

Recently had my crown tools re-sharpened guy done an excellent job and really reasonable as well. This is before lapping and polishing no chatter whatsoever. Couldn't ask for better. But, it is a bit time consuming by hand.. View attachment 563651
Is that a stainless steel recoil spring plug? If so, where can I find one for a 9mm? That is hotter than a $2 pistol!!!

Discussion starter · #2,739 ·
Is that a stainless steel recoil spring plug? If so, where can I find one for a 9mm? That is hotter than a $2 pistol!!!
EGW.. same size for 45 or 9mm. Or you can do the recessed monogrammed kit. But, you have to order a size specific barrel bushing with that option.

2,721 - 2,740 of 6,457 Posts