1911 Firearm Addicts banner
2,941 - 2,960 of 6,457 Posts
Discussion starter · #2,941 ·
Didn't know about a PX-4. I was just expressing a wish on my part.
It has a rotating barrel, was all the rave when it first was coming out, but the novelty of it wore off quickly.. I had traded for one and kept it about a month and traded it off. Ran okay and the barrel design was functional and neat but, didn't see any benefit in the .45. It could serve in really slowing the slide action for a 10mm however. And they might of done that if the 45 had caught on..

It has a rotating barrel, was all the rave when it first was coming out, but the novelty of it wore off quickly.. I had traded for one and kept it about a month and traded it off. Ran okay and the barrel design was functional and neat but, didn't see any benefit in the .45. It could serve in really slowing the slide action for a 10mm however. And they might of done that if the 45 had caught on..
Just went and looked at the PX. Kinda funky looking, but you say it works and I'll take your word on that. I have one plastic pistol (XD-S 40) and I keep it because it hides in my pockets quite nicely.

I was just expressing a wish for a delayed mechanism pistol to help with slide velocity and wear and tear. The 1911 is a straight blow back design and as such was intended for the low pressures of the 45 ACP as it existed 120 years ago. Not for the cartridges of today. Now TBH there are things that can be done (I have done them) to lessen the severity of today's higher pressure cartridges and allow the 1911 a better chance to survive. But they only slightly mitigate the problem, not solve it.

The Desert Eagle uses a rotary bolt design IIRC, and that is better suited to high(er) pressure cartridges than a straight blow back design. But it is a monster of a hand cannon. :)

In order to fit within a design constraint suitable for use as a carry weapon, maybe a gas operated design might be better suited? A well known gunsmith (I'm having a senior moment and cannot recall his name) made a modified 1911 that was gas operated, but that is all I know about it.

Just doing some mental exercises on a Sat. morning. :D

Reactions: Integrity Arms
Discussion starter · #2,943 · (Edited)
Just went and looked at the PX. Kinda funky looking, but you say it works and I'll take your word on that. I have one plastic pistol (XD-S 40) and I keep it because it hides in my pockets quite nicely.

I was just expressing a wish for a delayed mechanism pistol to help with slide velocity and wear and tear. The 1911 is a straight blow back design and as such was intended for the low pressures of the 45 ACP as it existed 120 years ago. Not for the cartridges of today. Now TBH there are things that can be done (I have done them) to lessen the severity of today's higher pressure cartridges and allow the 1911 a better chance to survive. But they only slightly mitigate the problem, not solve it.

The Desert Eagle uses a rotary bolt design IIRC, and that is better suited to high(er) pressure cartridges than a straight blow back design. But it is a monster of a hand cannon. :)

In order to fit within a design constraint suitable for use as a carry weapon, maybe a gas operated design might be better suited? A well known gunsmith (I'm having a senior moment and cannot recall his name) made a modified 1911 that was gas operated, but that is all I know about it.

Just doing some mental exercises on a Sat. morning. :D
After much thought, conversation and deliberation on this 10mm issue I was having, there was a moment when I questioned actually using the disco cut in this pistol. While it become inherently obvious this was not the cause of the whole issue, a few of us discussed the possibility that it might have at the very least contributed to the problem, by allowing the slide to come forward a bit faster dropping the slide from the actual stop. While it's water under the bridge now so to speak, I think going forward I would advise no disco cut in a 10mm 1911 just due to the possibility that it added to the issue.. Slowing the slide velocity was something that was done from the get go, but springing the pistol up for the possible pressures obviously require heavier recoil and Mainsprings in essence speeding up the return to battery. I get where your going I to remember seeing the gas operated concept fine in a 1911 but, can't remember either who it was that did it..

I could very well be wrong but, it was something I considered. Turns out that 75% of the problem was crap ammo.

Finally worked the kinks out of the 10mm. While this particular build was very much a challenge it was a great opportunity to learn a bunch.

However, I do think the biggest thing I learned was this platform in its original design was meant for the 45 acp bullet and imo will always run better, be more reliable, and flat out perform at its best with that caliber.

I know Everyone enjoys a 9, 38 super, 9x23, 10mm etc.. But when Jmb built this pistol it was designed to shoot 45acp.

Have we really improved on his design over the years? No.. we've managed to tweak it, tighten it, get it shooting a bit more accurate, maybe. But, no real improvements to his design has ever been made imo.. The man was a flat out genius, and while many if us have tried to out do him, have we really?
Got to agree with Steve O on this. I enjoy shooting my 1911s in 9, 10, 38 super but long ago I accepted that they were going to be a compromise in terms of function and absolute reliability. With that in mind I have managed my expectations.

Got to agree with Steve O on this. I enjoy shooting my 1911s in 9, 10, 38 super but long ago I accepted that they were going to be a compromise in terms of function and absolute reliability. With that in mind I have managed my expectations.
My 10mms run just as well as my 45. I have incorporated the slight timing delay in unlocking from battery, a square FPS, and have appropriate springs. They run perfectly, but they may not last as long as a 1911 chambered in 45. I've never shot 50k rounds through a 10mm 1911.

Many years ago, I ran a external/pivot extractor in my 10mms as the extractors of the day sucked when used with higher pressure cartridges (even 38 Super caused issues). I built these 10mms with the HD extractors and will see how they hold up. If necessary, I will modify for a external extractor. I don't care one way or another about the looks, but they are hella strong. :)

Just spitballing thoughts.....
I never use tape to protect a slide from my vise jaws. I have found it reduces the rigidity of the hold. With nice ground and hardened jaws there is no need.
Sometimes I use thin cardstock, like a thin business card to protect a finely polished slide.

Discussion starter · #2,949 ·
I did the flat firing pin stop, and delayed the unlocking the only place I had an issue was from slide stop drop. The gun ran perfectly on full cycle.. Ran 150 rounds before it went to finish. And my last 10mm come off without a hitch. However this one took several small tweaks to get rid of a problem. Again some of it ended up contributed to the Ammo..

Discussion starter · #2,950 ·
Just spitballing thoughts.....
I never use tape to protect a slide from my vise jaws. I have found it reduces the rigidity of the hold. With nice ground and hardened jaws there is no need.
Sometimes I use thin cardstock, like a thin business card to protect a finely polished slide.
This stuff is pretty grippy. But the card stock sounds like a good idea as well. Thanks Chuck..

Discussion starter · #2,952 ·
Grippy is good.
It's the 'gooey' I don't like.
The adhesive acts like a rubber cushion and brings on some 'vibration?'.
I like the feel of steel on steel on 2000lbs of cast iron.
I get ya with the gooey too. This is actually a vinyl painters tape. I got it to tape off when bead blasting if I didn't want to get in to the flats too much and decided to try it for milling. It sticks pretty well but releases pretty well. But, I'll definitely defer to the experience last thing I want is to ruin a slide or wear it upside my head lol..

"The 1911 is a straight blow back design"
Nope.

"I have incorporated the slight timing delay in unlocking from battery"
Yup.
Yea, that didn't translate well from addled brain to fingers. Sorry. Should have been obvious (to me) after the second statement. LOL...

Discussion starter · #2,955 ·
Grippy is good.
It's the 'gooey' I don't like.
The adhesive acts like a rubber cushion and brings on some 'vibration?'.
I like the feel of steel on steel on 2000lbs of cast iron.
What Diameter is your rear dovetail cutter Chuck? I'm cutting off your Sheet this time, and want to make sure if Dovetail dimension before I add the + - .008

Discussion starter · #2,960 ·
I'm usually a fixed rear sight guy but that looks very nice.
Very sleek and streamline, no ugly dovetail cuts. Once mounted will look like it's part of the slide.. I always like the rear adjustables, just never cared much for the looks of them...

2,941 - 2,960 of 6,457 Posts