Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by Integrity Arms, Nov 25, 2018.
What's the weather like? Watching college football yesterday it looked cold in the Midwest
Steve you are a blessed man. Doing what you love obviously. It's not even like work huh? Lol.
Been a bit cool and rainy.. 70 one day and 42 the next.. lol
I do love what I do, but the work part just comes with the territory .
We'll off to finish with the fabulous 5 today. Excited to get these back and get started on the next batch. Usually I'd already know what's next, but I haven't looked that far forward yet. But a few folks in the que will get a phone call or text this week yet..
There is a good reason why change orders for a custom job cost additional money right off the top. For the simple reason that what needs to be done should of actually been done before the slide was flat topped, serrated, and bordered.
Now to fit a custom sight at this point in the process becomes 10 times harder not only to do, but to try and match what's already there without a actually affecting the work that's already been completed.
After fitting slide to frame and barrel, sight fitting is the next step. And you hope that you do get it right the first try because if not you have mess around the already cut surfaces a second time. Talk about tedious and edgy..
Poor planning on someone else's part should not be your problem. You do what has to be done and the resulting costs should be passed along.
Most understand that, but it sure is difficult to get a nice custom fit of a front sight that late in the game. Border cuts need to be re-cut in order to blend in, you can end up removing extra material you really didn't want to etc.. It can be done, but some think meh, it's just a front sight lol . Once I get it completed and blasted I'll post a pic, then it has to go out for a tritium installation as well... Going to be an expensive front sight for sure.
Well fortunately and unfortunately my finisher just informed me that they have over 300 pistols for DLC and my order may run as long as 14 days or longer instead of the normal 3-5 days they usually get me in at.
Good to hear that they're busy, but I'm going to have to start a few others in the mean time, really puts me in a different spot then I'm used too. DLC has become a very popular finish.
I do sure hope that after all the extra work it's taking to get this front sight blank, fitted, blended and finished to the slide as well as blued, that nothing happens to it while it away having a custom Orange ringed Trijicon night sight installed. This is one of those one of situations where you only have one chance for it to be right. I'll post a few in the raw photos before the sight leaves on its 8-10 week journey..
What's custom about an Orange ringed Trijicon night sight ?
It has to be sent off to the company that does Trijicons custom orders. You can't just buy a orange ringed trijicon sight with a base that can be blended to the slide. So the sight has to be blended from a blank, fit to the slide, finished, cut etc.. Then be sent off to that particular company to have the tritium and ring installed. So it will be a custom sight when it returns a one of a kind basically. It's not the tritium that is custom persay its the style and fit of the sight itself, not just something you can buy and fit, to custom full fill a dovetail on a flat topped slide.
“One of a kind” Good things come to those who patiently wait.
Well several hours fitting and blending to the slide, cutting a slope, and pinning to the slide, chamfer, then re-milling the border cuts on top of the slide all the way through the sight, and it's finally ready to send out to have the tritium insert installed with the orange ring. One time consuming and expensive sight for certain..
Sight looks awesome!
Happy Client Happy Life and this is not my pistol
Not mine either. Man, you are one cool cucumber. That had to have been a bit uncomfortable to get done right! Great work!
Makes me tense thinking about it. Very high pucker factor. Gotta feel good about that effort.
Re-setting a cut is the most difficult thing to do, cause nothing ever seats back in the second time like it did the first, and I had to use an entirely different cutter than I did the first time. It was the same angle, but a different tool altogether, cause I had to reach over the sight to cut the left side border. So, while I used the numbers to get close I actually put the cutter in the existing cut, and lined it up by eye. After indicating it on the fixture and into the vise that is. I didn't take out but about another .005-.008 but it was enough to blend and pull it all back together. @Limited 10 no doubt a big pucker factor.. Wrong cut there would of ruined a ton of work already accomplished. Now to sit back and wait 8-10 weeks for the lamp to be installed lol.
Impressive, we'll done