1911 Firearm Addicts banner
3,121 - 3,140 of 6,481 Posts
Discussion starter · #3,126 · (Edited)
Went from 7 pistols down to 5 as one is shelved waiting on a needed part, and the other just ended up being a bit much to add to this batch, so I'll put it in with the next round. Looks like I am going to make it to the finisher on Monday like I had hoped. 5 ready for the blasting cabinet tonight and tomorrow. And since one of them is hard Chrome I may have to change to my more course media for that one... So, I have a Springfield A1 loaded dual caliber 38 super/9mm full build, a Colt MKIV Government 45 acp Full build, a Les Baer 38 super monolith, a Dan Wesson Vigil dual caliber 38super/9mm that was duty treated, and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch I believe it is in 45 acp... All of these off to finish on Monday, then I will spend a few days polishing up small parts, cleaning up the shop, prepping invoices and build sheets, going through the books looking for next in line, contacting those folks, and then picking up everything, reassemble, re-install or install sights, a few rounds through with the sights on, photos, packing everything up and then shipping.. Wow, just when you think your crossing the finish line, look at how much work is actually still left to do.. I am really grateful that all my clients seem to understand how time consuming this process is.
Plastic Transparent material Transparency

Discussion starter · #3,133 ·
There is a good reason why change orders for a custom job cost additional money right off the top. For the simple reason that what needs to be done should of actually been done before the slide was flat topped, serrated, and bordered.

Now to fit a custom sight at this point in the process becomes 10 times harder not only to do, but to try and match what's already there without a actually affecting the work that's already been completed.

After fitting slide to frame and barrel, sight fitting is the next step. And you hope that you do get it right the first try because if not you have mess around the already cut surfaces a second time. Talk about tedious and edgy..

Poor planning on someone else's part should not be your problem. You do what has to be done and the resulting costs should be passed along.

Discussion starter · #3,135 ·
Poor planning on someone else's part should not be your problem. You do what has to be done and the resulting costs should be passed along.
Most understand that, but it sure is difficult to get a nice custom fit of a front sight that late in the game. Border cuts need to be re-cut in order to blend in, you can end up removing extra material you really didn't want to etc.. It can be done, but some think meh, it's just a front sight lol . Once I get it completed and blasted I'll post a pic, then it has to go out for a tritium installation as well... Going to be an expensive front sight for sure.

Discussion starter · #3,136 · (Edited)
Well fortunately and unfortunately my finisher just informed me that they have over 300 pistols for DLC and my order may run as long as 14 days or longer instead of the normal 3-5 days they usually get me in at.

Good to hear that they're busy, but I'm going to have to start a few others in the mean time, really puts me in a different spot then I'm used too. DLC has become a very popular finish.

Discussion starter · #3,137 ·
I do sure hope that after all the extra work it's taking to get this front sight blank, fitted, blended and finished to the slide as well as blued, that nothing happens to it while it away having a custom Orange ringed Trijicon night sight installed. This is one of those one of situations where you only have one chance for it to be right. I'll post a few in the raw photos before the sight leaves on its 8-10 week journey..

Discussion starter · #3,139 ·
What's custom about an Orange ringed Trijicon night sight ?
It has to be sent off to the company that does Trijicons custom orders. You can't just buy a orange ringed trijicon sight with a base that can be blended to the slide. So the sight has to be blended from a blank, fit to the slide, finished, cut etc.. Then be sent off to that particular company to have the tritium and ring installed. So it will be a custom sight when it returns a one of a kind basically. It's not the tritium that is custom persay its the style and fit of the sight itself, not just something you can buy and fit, to custom full fill a dovetail on a flat topped slide.

3,121 - 3,140 of 6,481 Posts