1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am at my local FFL and someone was trying to sell this to them.

They didn’t want to buy it and I didn’t know anything about it.

I have the persons contact, but I don’t know what it’s worth, or if it’s “wrecked”.

Can I get some advice from the 100s of 1000s of years of experience on the board.

Thanks all!

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver
Wood Electric blue Hardwood Carbon Auto part
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Auto part
Wood Bumper Gesture Gadget Everyday carry
Wood Finger Gas Hardwood Metal
Wood Finger Wrist Bumper Thumb

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Ruined is probably too strong a word, the stippling has destroyed the gun in terms of collector value so its just a shooter now. Looks like aftermarket sights as well, depends on what the guy is asking for it and how much you like the front strap treatment - you can have a smith work over the gun and build it any way you like but that stippling is there to stay unless you really invest a lot of money to remove it and have new material welded in which wouldn't be worth it in my opinion

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s what I figured!

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
Really desirable old slide and frame but now it's a sub $1500 shooter.....maybe less..based on the cosmetics, it's a professionally built gun so I would look for internal markings..could be one of the more desirable bullseye smiths which could increase the value as a collectible

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where would that marketing be found?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marking…lord have mercy on me talk to type..

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
926 Posts
If the price was right, I’d jump on it and have it rebuilt into a carry gun. I like stippling and that appears pretty well executed. It’s a cool base gun…

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would be “the right price” for something like this? I’m not well enough versed.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
Just to clarify-this is a typical 60's era bullseye gun to shoot the 45 hardball leg of a bullseye match. It's likely fully accurized and tightened for match shooting. It is what it is, You could put some combat-style sights on it but I would leave it as is and enjoy shooting it.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just think it’s a cool gun, but don’t want to over pay for “cool” lol

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Offer $700 in hundreds, then switch to $50s. Stop at $850. If the gun shop was interested $250 would have been their price.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I can't say a dollar value, but bladeandbarrel seems to have it.
A 1950s target pistol (1948 gun.) If the barrel is fitted as well as the sights, stippling and ejection port work hint at, it will be an accurate shooter.

Whether it is set up as a hardball or wadcutter gun can make a difference.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, much appreciated

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
I can't say a dollar value, but bladeandbarrel seems to have it.
A 1950s target pistol (1948 gun.) If the barrel is fitted as well as the sights, stippling and ejection port work hint at, it will be an accurate shooter.

Whether it is set up as a hardball or wadcutter gun can make a difference.
I am going to assume its a ball gun since by the time those rear sights were available, ribs were also..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I am going to assume its a ball gun since by the time those rear sights were available, ribs were also..
Not everybody wanted another five ounces, though.
It has trigger shoe marks, I think that was not allowed on a Service Pistol.

A trigger job of 50-60 years ago was not like what you get now. Many target shooters had to hold the hammer or trigger (!) back to keep the hammer from following even when chambering a round.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts