1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, since I trust you guys and this is only my 3rd colt(first was for my birthday on the 28th of Aug from the wife) I’ll listen to you all!!

Ill be reaching out to figure out the best way to restore it to the condition the smith meant it to be in!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Jim Milks charges $275 to weld in a new front strap but he does it with a prominent divot under the trigger guard. He might do it stock style, but why?

The main thing it needs now is a good cleaning, the ramps and barrel bed look narsty. The barrel ramp has been widened so it may be a "wad gun." Does the recoil spring feel soft?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok, I have the gun in hand, it’s going to head into my ultra sonic cleaner on med heat with some simple purple. I will be replacing all the springs with stock govt springs, and I’ll be taking a look at the FCS and see if any of that needs to be replaced.

I have flitz(for what my wife does with metal work) is there anything special I need to do with it, or just follow the instructions?

is there anything I am missing or is this what you guys would agree is a good idea?

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
Ok, I have the gun in hand, it’s going to head into my ultra sonic cleaner on med heat with some simple purple. I will be replacing all the springs with stock govt springs, and I’ll be taking a look at the FCS and see if any of that needs to be replaced.

I have flitz(for what my wife does with metal work) is there anything special I need to do with it, or just follow the instructions?

is there anything I am missing or is this what you guys would agree is a good idea?

Don't rub too much flitz too hard it will thin the bluing...just clean it and look for any internal markings

I would just pop in a new 16# recoil spring

·
What me worry ?
12,456 Posts
Detail strip , clean ,check closely for any Smiths markings or clues to who did the work( may still be around ) lube , shoot for function to determine correct spring weight to return it to its intended use . Take it slow in restoring it , you may have a real gem there.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
I have a similar unit. "50" LW Commander 9mm. Broke it down & cleaned everything. Replaced every spring in it. (even the mag. release & plunger) Oiled it up and used a silicone gun cloth and off it went to the range.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So after tearing it down, it looks like the only marks are as follows:

“B” on the barrel
Automotive tire Gesture Finger Bumper Thumb

And “H” on the inside of the slide

Wood Rectangle Metal Font Publication

no other markings of any kind

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
That’s awesome!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok I lied, this is what’s on the frame!!

Air gun Wood Trigger Material property Automotive exterior
Wood Art Tints and shades Artifact Metal
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Font Metal

that’s everything

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well, looks like it’s a no name smith then!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's definitely set up as a bullseye gun, the question is was it for Ball or wadcutter? The ramp was widened, but the only way to check is to see if it'll feed 185 and 200 semi-wadcutters and 185 Federal Match with the "Button" profile bullet.

There are clever guys on this site who have made testers that can tell you your spring weight.

The "Rollo" style rear sight makes me think it's from the 60s / early 70s when they started squaring away the windage assembly and base of the blade. If you ever need parts, Kensight makes a copy -- they also make a set with night inserts, so you can make it a quasi match / nightstand gun. I find the night inserts distracting during the day.

A military cousin to your pistol. Guns were generally similar to meet DCM/CMP and NRA rules and inspection:

Jim Clark Sr. built mine for the 1975 NRA .22 Pistol Champion when the previous owner needed a back-up EIC Service Pistol. He said he never really shot it once he got a National Guard-issued gun, and wanted to sell it because it had been a safe queen for decades once he went to a red-dot.

It's a Remington-Rand slide on a Colt receiver.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Leave the stippling -- unless you want smooth. Then change your mind for striations or checkering (which, depending on the smith could irritate your hands or, if carrying, work against the lining of your clothes -- suits, jackets, fleece), which will add down-range cost.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I’m blown away by the knowledge on here! I’ll post a photo of all the parts after the slide gets out of the ultrasonic

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
It's definitely set up as a bullseye gun, the question is was it for Ball or wadcutter? The ramp was widened, but the only way to check is to see if it'll feed 185 and 200 semi-wadcutters and 185 Federal Match with the "Button" profile bullet.

There are clever guys on this site who have made testers that can tell you your spring weight..

The "Rollo" style rear sight makes me thinks it's from the 60s / early 70s when they started squaring away the windage assembly and base of the blade. If you ever need parts, Kensight makes a copy -- they also make a set with night inserts, so you can make it a quasi match / nightstand gun.

The only difference between a wadgun and ball gun is usually the recoil spring/hammer spring and the magazine lips. Accurizing is the same for both. Both can have improved throats and ramps in my experience.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ok here are all the parts out of the ultrasonic

Wood Rectangle Trigger Font Wall

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like it had some work done to it (and to me, doesn't look it was shot much or abused). Bushing was slightly brazed to eliminate wiggle, trigger shoe was peened at upper and lower aft interior corners to eliminate wiggle there, looks like the frame rails may have been peened a little forward and aft of the magazine well, but there's no obvious shine or wear on the frame deck.

Slide rails don't look to have been squeezed in or lapped -- still a lot of tool marks.

The smoke smudges on the grips at the magazine witness holes tend to lead me to believe he shot 5-shot strings -- the typical National Match or bullseye course-of-fire.

Nice snag! If it was a bigger-name or commercial gunsmith I'd look for a shop "signature" stamp. Clark stamped the month and year he finished work on the underside of the slide interior. Some guys might stamp their initials on the frame under the grips, or not at all. This gunsmith would have recognized his own signature stippling.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts