Interesting first range trip with GSG 1911-22 (I may have screwed up)

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by lowboy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. lowboy

lowboy New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I picked up a GSG 1911 in .22lr last week and took it to the range with my wife on Saturday. Both the manual and the LGS owner recommended HV ammo, so I bought 200 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags. I also brought my go-to .22lr ammo, Federal Automatch, just to see if the gun would run the lower-velocity stuff.

After a good cleaning and lubing, we went to the range. With the Mini-Mags, we had problems that never went away. The first round would never feed properly, and we were seeing 2-3 additional malfunctions per magazine where the pistol would fail to return to battery. We had no light primer strikes, and the slide always locked back after the last round, but the gun was nothing but problems.

Out of sheer aggravation, I loaded up a magazine of Federal Automatch, and everything fed and fired flawlessly. Thinking that maybe the gun was "breaking in", we switched back to Mini-Mags, and again would see 3-4 malfunctions per magazine. After 100 rounds of Mini-Mags, the problems never went away (FTRTB). With the 150 rounds of Automatch, sprinkled in between the magazines full of Mini-Mags, we had 100% functioning.

Towards the end of the session, I think I may have realized the problem . . .

The Mini-Mags I bought were hollowpoints with copper plating. The Automatch were round nose, unplated lead. I think the HP's were digging into the feed ramp, whereas the round nose Federals were gliding right in. While the Automatch are sort of in-between high velocity and standard velocity (1200 fps), they ran in the gun 150/150.

Did I screw up by getting HP's, or could something else be going on? Either way, the gun is terrific with the right ammo.

2. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    upi may be right. My GSG522 likes some ammo more then others but definitly round nose bullets not HP..

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Same here on the HP. But then I just like to practice the malfunction clearing.

4. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Those lead bullets also have a wax or lube coating to prevent corrosion. It may be helping with the feeding. Try to find some lead HP's and maybe some copper washed round nose. That should show whats really causing the issue between the bullet types.

5. lowboy

lowboy New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    That was basically going to be my next step - getting some HV rounds with the copper wash and round noses. If all is good with that, the last 100 HP's I still have can feed my old bolt action .22, and I can stop worrying about the GSG.

6. lowboy

lowboy New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Took it out again this weekend. Had one round of roundnosed CCI Minimag hang up on feed ramp, one failure to fire (good primer strike that eventually fired when I rotated the round and let the firing pin hit the other side of the primer), and 98 rounds with no issues. Put another 100 rounds of Federal Automatch through with no issues at all.

7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks for your post!

I have been contemplating buying a GSG( or SIG ) for a cheap plinking range gun.

Any info I can get on ammo preferences is appreciated . :thumb:

DAT85

8. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Mine shoots anything I put in it. Has since day one.

9. lowboy

lowboy New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    With .22 ammo being what it is, I'm happy with the fact that any round nosed round I've used with it has worked nearly 100 percent. The fact that I have found readily available, relatively cheap ammo that is 100 percent with the GSG (that works will all of my other .22's as well) is a nice bonus.

The important thing is that my wife (for whom the pistol was purchased) likes it. She would only reluctantly shoot my .45 and 9mm's, so having the GSG available means more range time for me :)

10. Rockhopper46038

Rockhopper46038 New Member

Jan 24, 2012
    My GSG1911 has been fed a steady diet of Federal 550 round value packs and likes them just fine. It's the cheapest stuff I can find around here and both my Marlin 795 and the conversion kit for my M15 likes it as well. Probably not the most accurate stuff, but good enough to shoot a Rifleman score at an Appleseed.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted