close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting LAV post a few minutes ago on FB...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hokie, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    "I get asked a lot about what I think about certain guns. I'll just tell you what I think, especially if it has some historical significance. Sometimes I'll tell you what I like better instead of bashing. If you take one of my classes, you'll know what I think... another reason to sign up for one of my classes.

You'll see me in class with either a Gen3 Glock 17/19, Wilson Combat 5" 1911, Daniel Defense carbine and sometimes even a HK45/P30. That should be a big clue to some of you out there. :)"

How many of those that he just mentioned is he on the payroll for? :greedy_dollars:

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    He's surely on DD's payroll! But, it IS a fine rifle, as are the pistols mentioned.

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    All good choices either way. He hit a wide price range as well.

4. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, I knew he is the face of the franchise for DD, and he had a big part in designing the HK45 (and I think the P30). Obviously, he has ties to WC. Wasn't sure about the Perfection part though.

5. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hard to avoid Glocks, they are cheap and work.

I for some unknown reason shoot the Darn things better than any other platform. I still enjoy shooting a .45 1911 more myself.

6. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Go shoot 100 rounds of 230gr FMJ, say 10 Hail Mary's, and ask the almighty JMB for forgiveness.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I've never shot a Glock.. I'm afraid that I might like it and then where would I be. I already wear 5.11 tactical shorts.. It's like Johnny Handgun said "if you can't remember a guy like that at your range.. your him" hahahahaha.. Ron

PS: I should invite Johnny over..

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    As long as you don't wear tactical gloves, a thigh holster, and some variety of tactical shirt sized 2 sizes too small, you will be fine.

No wait a minute, check that.......you would actually be the most badass guy on the line.

[​IMG]

9. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I did not say I like them better! I just shoot them better! It is not my fault, I am working on being a better 1911 shooter! Heck of a lot more comfortable to shoot a 1911.

The thought of a tactical shirt made me laugh for a bit... but I know it is real...which makes me sad.

I have been on a quest to try just about every platform I can, I think everyone should try all they can at least once.

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    You know there's such a difference in 1911's that it never fails to astonish me.. I mean from one to another.. If I ever got involved with other platforms I'd never be able to retire.. LOL.. Ron

11. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    The question you have to ask about LAV is this: does he use and endorse those guns cause they work and he believes in them or is it only because he gets paid to use them. I vote the former.

12. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I agree Blayglock. Except for the HK comments. I know he doesnt work for Glock and when i took classes with him, he had 4 or 5 with him and they all looked like they had been through hell and back which leads me to believe that he shoots them, just a little bit! He is also in a little different position then most. He trains a lot of Mil/LEO. There's no doubt the 1911 is his true love. He built them and he couldnt stop talking about them everytime ive had convo's with him, but i think he is a lot like me. Glock's work! There cheap, light, high capacity, simple, cheaply and easily customizable, and work out of the box. That is extremely tough to beat! I love expensive 1911's, but when you find me a $500 one that will run like a Glock, then i will be sold! RIA's are awesome guns for the price and they are truly reliable, but i do not think it would hold up to the same rigors, but i may be wrong

13. slabsides45

slabsides45 Safety? What Safety?

Aug 26, 2011
    Lots of blasphemy going on around here, lol.

I always heard about this "Perfection" thing, so when the local pawn had a G27 for sale, I scooped it up. Took it to the range, and it couldn't fire more than 3 or 4 rounds without jamming. Took to the gunsmith, who said some bar or another was slightly bent, looked like the prior owner had tried to remove the slide with the mag still in, he thought. He replaced it, but I never trusted the gun again. Suppose I can't blame the gun for operator error. I have had a G17, G19, G36, and currently own a G21; all of those have never misfired on me, and none of them feel like the 1911 does in my very inexperienced hands.

My $390 RIA Tactical has not misfired so far, but it usually living in my desk at work and hasn't got over 1000 rounds down the pipe.

Who's this LAV, btw?

14. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I am not sure I would trust any used Gun from a pawn shop...until I check it over and see how she runs.

No gun is immune to an idiots tinkering or abuse.

15. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Even better than your CC?

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

DAT85

16. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah but I am working on that.

I just need more trigger time with it, I know it is more accurate than I am.

17. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    LAV= Larry Vickers. He is a firearms instructor and used to build 1911's. Arguably one of the most respected instructors and custom 1911 smith's alive!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted