1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The price sounds a bit too high for me.
However the derringers they build are incredibly tank like.
So I will look forward to seeing these once released.
That said I really don't have a desire for one at this time.
But never say never right?
The "original" Boberg had a plastic frame / grip i think. This one looks like it will be 100% SS. A nice upgrade . . . .

Until Taurus knocks it off, I won't own one . . . . unless someone else hates it and is willing to take a $$ butt kicking . . .

Reactions: Bro. Pappaw

·
Make it a double
17,009 Posts
Mine is built like a tank. Very high quality. All steel. Just shot it again last week. It's staying right here with me. The grip panels are replaceable. I've got a set of green ones somewhere along with matching base plates.
Grey Silver Handgun holster Gun accessory

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is built like a tank. Very high quality. All steel. Just shot it again last week. It's staying right here with me. The grip panels are replaceable. I've got a set of green ones somewhere along with matching base plates. View attachment 40275
Range report . . . . ?

·
Make it a double
17,009 Posts
I'll have to write something up. I've owned it for a few years. All Bobergs are all steel, just different finishes. Mine is called "platinum". There is a two tone and all black DLC finish. DLC being the most expensive. It would have been my choice but was unavailable at the time. Double action only with a flat hammer resembling a flap on the rear. Short story, it shoots great and is accurate for being so small. Can be finicky with ammo. Doesn't like weak ammo. Has worked with all of the defense loads I've tried. The slide does not lock back on an empty mag due to the design. There is no follower in the mag. The rounds and mag never have contact with bottom of slide as they are pulled backward, a flap moves and as they go forward are slid up the flap to the chamber.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Always love seeing innovative designs and have always admired the little Bond Derringers. Thanks for sharing all that info on yours @Ethanol Red, I'll be keeping an eye on this one when it drops with a sub-$1k price tag being a bit of a must for a derringer for me, based on principle alone. If it runs and feeds reliably it may be tough to pass on though...

·
Make it a double
17,009 Posts
They are neat guns. I payed a little more than 1K for it a few years ago. I don't see how they could get it much cheaper honestly. With the design of the action and machining involved, it seems to me 1K is the mark. We'll see. I'd like to pick up a .45 version with the longer barrel at some point. I think another member here has one in .45. Can't remember who it is. The trigger is very similar to a Kahr with no stacking.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to write something up. I've owned it for a few years. All Bobergs are all steel, just different finishes. Mine is called "platinum". There is a two tone and all black DLC finish. DLC being the most expensive. It would have been my choice but was unavailable at the time. Double action only with a flat hammer resembling a flap on the rear. Short story, it shoots great and is accurate for being so small. Can be finicky with ammo. Doesn't like weak ammo. Has worked with all of the defense loads I've tried. The slide does not lock back on an empty mag due to the design. There is no follower in the mag. The rounds and mag never have contact with bottom of slide as they are pulled backward, a flap moves and as they go forward are slid up the flap to the chamber.
ERed, that one definitely qualifies for inclusion in the most unusual firearm thread.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/what-is-your-most-unusual-firearm.30412/page-2#post-408656

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts
I never paid much attention to Bond Arms because I don't like derringers, this is quite a step up in manufacturing complexity in comparison, hopefully the move works out for them.

I read through all of the comments on the page linked above and I'm amazed at the number of people complaining about the price. Apparently most of them don't know anything about the Boberg history of the design and clearly they have never ventured into the world of 1911s, I was numbed to $1000 many pistols ago.:roflmaro:

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never paid much attention to Bond Arms because I don't like derringers, this is quite a step up in manufacturing complexity in comparison, hopefully the move works out for them.

I read through all of the comments on the page linked above and I'm amazed at the number of people complaining about the price. Apparently most of them don't know anything about the Boberg history of the design and clearly they have never ventured into the world of 1911s, I was numbed to $1000 many pistols ago.:roflmaro:
Mostly mimicking the comments if the original article I think.

When I was a kid, back in the '70's I worked in a performing music store as a sales guy. I realized then, that if you wanted to buy a QUALITY instrument, or anything for that matter, it was going to cost you a grand.

Double that price today.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, $1K seems pretty reasonable after what I've been buying.

I'm interested. And Bond seems committed to a good product.

Why did Boberg drop the gun?
I think Bond bought Boberg, lock, stock, and designs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts