Interesting situation

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Jim S., Dec 16, 2011.

1. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    While I was putting my two S.A. Mil-Specs back together after they were refinished I found an interesting problem.
    I sent them in as pieces and that is how I got them back.
    After putting guns back together, even after cleaning them, I am very good about checking the safety functions of the gun.
    When checking these two out I found one was perfect in function but the second one would unlock the thumb safety and drop the hammer if you pulled the trigger just slightly harder than it would take to trip it normally.
    I obviously mixed up the two thumb safeties because when I switched the two safeties both guns were good during the function tests.
    Now, can you imagine if I had not checked these guns out before putting them back into service?
    So far I have shot 400 rounds out of each gun and they are good to go as they were before being refinished.
    Both of these guns have the same internal parts put in, hammer, sear, spring, thumb safeties, ect, ect.
    And yet there was a difference.
    Always good to check a guns functions and safeties after putting them back together.

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Wow, good catch! I check and recheck after reassembling my guns. I always pay very close attention, as one should when dealing with firearms, but I still keep checking them.

3. Indydog

Indydog Banned

Dec 17, 2011
    Good example of tolerance stacking. In one it works, switch and they both work.

YAP

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted