Registered
552 Posts
Yeah it is some pretty interesting stuff to be following him on Patreon

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
I proposed a question on this Forum a year or so ago...

After I finished a Commander 1911 build, using name brand parts. (WC, EGW, EB, COLT, ect.)

My question was what exactly does a Home Gunsmith build when he is done and how does it stack up to the $3000 custom pistols from the Big Boys???

Well, after Mr. Chambers comments about the RIA Pistol...

I feel we must do pretty well and make a fantastic pistol, parts wise anyway.

I know I would rather have my Shop Made Commander, than an RIA! (I have owned 2 RIA's in the past.)

Just sayin, interesting vid!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Wow. The technical data is of course beyond what I look at when I buy a 1911, but I have the model he is reviewing in 9mm and it was exactly $595. It is a shooter and has never let me down from round one, but I have less than 2k rounds through it.

I have a RIA .45 Government that is an old "One Cannon" gun. I bought it used in a Reno pawn store lo upon 20 years ago and my son and I are well over the 60k mark without a single part being replaced. It has been affectionately name "The Rattle Trap" and accuracy has opened up(it was never a match gun), but it is as reliable as the Sun so far and I don't know how to top that. Our goal is to get 100,000 through it and I am not joking. I paid $325 for it in the early-mid-'00's.

I love my "nice" guns and I'm dropping a relative mint on a custom. In the end, as Mr. Chambers said, I have recommended these guns to anyone looking for an inexpensive 1911 and every time I see the Government Models at local hardware stores, to this day they wear price tags that say insane things like "$359.95" and that is no joke. It's hard to leave them there at that price, but I already have mine.

That was very interesting and oddly, validating.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
thanks for posting this video.

Joe sure knows his stuff. I tend to listen to someone who can back up what they are saying with facts. per usual , he does

Reactions: Merton

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't have a RIA gun, and can't really see getting one, but it is nice to hear so many good things about them. I know Mr. Chambers knows what he is talking about, but I prefer to hear something like Merton wrote to back up the nice tolerances. Today's RIA seems like the Kimber of the late 90's.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That right there is a GREAT video!
I remember when you said this:

"I think I'm not the first in this thread to suggest this, but here are my thoughts:

Buy a new RIA, the GI version.
With a bare minimum of tools you could:

Install a better rear sight. You could send the slide to who ever to have a front dovetail cut. Vise, hammer, punch, files.

Modify the ejection port using a 1/2" drum sander in the Dremel. Lower, flare, forward cut.

Fit and install an oversized barrel bushing. File for the fit to the slide. Send the bushing out for reaming the bore just a touch undersized. Finish using a home made flap wheel in a drill.

Throat and polish the barrel mouth.

Break all sharp edges.

Fit an over sized firing pin stop.

Fit a quality after market extractor.

Fit an extended ejector.

Blend the rear of the slide, frame, ejector, extractor.

Fit a beavertail grip safety.

Bob the stock hammer to work with the grip safety.

Fit an over sized aftermarket trigger.

Etc...........

Much work on improving a 1911 can be done with simple hand tools.
You'll gain a lot of practical experience for very little money and zero risk.
You will certainly improve the shootability of a minor investment."

Ive always been meaning to give it a try but never got around to it.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,830 Posts
I saw this yesterday, it was a nice surprise to see and hear such a solid review of a gun of this price point.

·
Registered
933 Posts
It's a testament to the degree that modern parts manufacturing -- CNC, CAD, MIM -- have raised the game for everyone, and narrowed the gap, too, between manufacturers.

When the new tricks are harnessed toward the right specs and fit, it's impressive.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I’m curious how this one compares to a new Springfield mil spec? I guess I didn’t search, maybe he did a review on those too. My LGS had the mil spec in stock for $549 a week or so ago.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Without a rockwell tester the data is a little incomplete
Hi,
It would be interesting to run a test of metal in the frame and slide.

Is the RIA Metal and heat treat as good as say, a Caspian or a Remsport? (trying to stay Cast to Cast to be fair?)

MY problem with RIA, way back when, is that they used their own sight dovetail cuts instead of one of the established brands! (NOVAK?)

That may have changed???

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
Hi,
It would be interesting to run a test of metal in the frame and slide.

Is the RIA Metal and heat treat as good as say, a Caspian or a Remsport? (trying to stay Cast to Cast to be fair?)

MY problem with RIA, way back when, is that they used their own sight dovetail cuts instead of one of the established brands! (NOVAK?)

That may have changed???

Caspian hardness has always been great. It's the dimensions that they have struggled with. That being said, some of my very favorite guns are built on Caspians frame and slides.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would have been really interesting if he’d put the thing on his ransom rest and it ended up shooting nearly as good as one of his guns.

He mentioned he’s measured other custom guns that didn’t match up to this one. I don’t have patreon, but I’d be curious what those customs are.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It would have been really interesting if he’d put the thing on his ransom rest and it ended up shooting nearly as good as one of his guns.

He mentioned he’s measured other custom guns that didn’t match up to this one. I don’t have patreon, but I’d be curious what those customs are.
Hi,
I doubt he would say, but interesting never the less, and goes back to, quality parts, being produced today...

As was mentioned earlier, of course, when you pay, say, $75 for a top grade hammer...

You are expecting, good things!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a reminder of people not always getting what they pay for.

It's truly insane someone can spend 1/4 of another custom 1911 and get an arguably better built gun...

I wish we had a spreadsheet comparing all the popular 1911's dimensions and metallurgy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts