Internal vs External.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Helderberg, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Helderberg

Helderberg New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I see some mine is better, No mine is better concerning internal vs External extractors. I have a E series S&W 1911 with an external and it works beautifully.
    How better than 100% can a internal be? I realize the original was an internal but the one in my gun is a performance center piece and is about twice the width of a standard issue so it is not a light weight piece. As I said, how much better than 100% can you get?
    Thanks in advance, Frank.

2. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Smith & Wesson does a great job with the external extractors. There's also a reason why Paul L. at Pistol Dynamics uses external extractors.
    Just enjoy your pistol and don't worry about the hype!

3. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    While I prefer internal extractors, I have several handguns with external ones. Never had any problems. I do find it disturbing that some semi-high end production handguns like Sig and HKs have MIM extractors. S&W seemed to have had it figured out for awhile. Really doesn't matter as long as they work.

4. Helderberg

Helderberg New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I will do as you suggest, enjoy my gun. It is my first 1911 and I seem to be learning as I go. Thanks for your response.
    Best, Frank.

5. dnuggett

dnuggett Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    My Sig RCS has an external extractor. The brass doesn't know any different so it comes out just fine.

6. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    This problem got blown up a bit when Kimber released their 1911's with external extractors, and generally speaking, they did NOT work so well. Kimber went back to the internal extractor, but I don't think that changed some people's views of Kimber.

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I just run Wilson Bullet Proof extractors in some my 1911s, and they work great.

Personally, I just don't like the look of external extractors on 1911s.

If you check the internal extractor and make sure it's tuned correctly then there should be very little problem with it.

8. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    This.

9. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Well John Moses started using the external extactor and changed to an internal as he felt it was better. Far be it for me to argue with John! Most places use the external because it is CHEAP AND EASY! That is why the P-35/Browning Hi-Power went to the external extractor, faster to crank out for the war effert. Since both work, why worry about which is "better"?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted