1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I've spent the last 6 months wondering why a lot of shooters refer to feet as yards???
I see a lot of shooters say they shoot one inch groups at 25yards. That's 75ft and I highly doubt that's happening.

So can anyone help me understand why we have started referring to yards as feet?

TY!

·
Never Forget
9,118 Posts
Because the majority of people in the United States played, watch, or know something about football. Not Futbol as they say over there.

Many military types may refer to distance as meters.

If I tell my buddy I shot a deer at 300 yards with iron sights and the wind was blowing like a hurricane....well....it doesn't sound as impressive when I tell him I shot the same deer at 900 feet in a full value wind with my Zeiss scope.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
hi,

I've spent the last 6 months wondering why a lot of shooters refer to feet as yards???
I see a lot of shooters say they shoot one inch groups at 25yards. That's 75ft and I highly doubt that's happening.

So can anyone help me understand why we have started referring to yards as feet?

TY!
My experience is that a lot of people who brag about their abilities on the internet are full of sh*t.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
If the shooting story comes from a well respected member of that forum - I believe it. I've shot with folks before that can do a one inch group at 10 yards offhand and I can only imagine what they can achieve if they used a rest

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I would think some clarification would be in order......If you are only referring to handguns then I would think the above is about right....hell, after years of shooting NRA Action pistol could barely hit the 50 YARD 6 inch plates.

I know some that can and do very well shooting Bullseye at 25 yards.

Now if you want to speak Long Guns most any good shooter with a semi descent rifle can hold 1-2 MOA out to 200-300 yards and beyond with practice.

Karsten

·
Deo Volente
7,445 Posts
I shoot at 7-10-15 paces which I figure is a bit over three feet and closer to a yrd.
Just under a yard for me on level ground. 63 paces on level ground are almost dead on 50 Meters for me. Although It may have shrunk since my Army training! LMAO! At least I can still nail my shots...

·
Deo Volente
7,445 Posts
A few you you are just range animals! I've never been a "small group shooter". I can kill the torso target, but I shoot minute of basketball, most of the time out to about 20 yards. After that...I'm in deep ****!
I was the penultimate classic range shooter until I tried cowboy action and bowling pins. :D

·
Make it a double
16,839 Posts
A few you you are just range animals! I've never been a "small group shooter". I can kill the torso target, but I shoot minute of basketball, most of the time out to about 20 yards. After that...I'm in deep ****!
I think minute of torso is the ultimate goal, so you're doing just fine. Anything better is just icing on that cake. It's nice to brag on occasion however.

·
Deo Volente
7,445 Posts
Did the CCW Class last year and I was very pleased that I, or my old reliable pistol turned in a five shot, half inch group at seven yards. If I had to do a stress shoot then everything goes out the window as you are aiming at an area and speed is of the essence. Then things are more like eight inch compact groups. It's dead, right?

Reactions: Kip
1 - 20 of 72 Posts