Intro into USPSA Practical Pistol, Tons of videos!

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by DukeSoprano, May 27, 2019.

1. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    So you want to get started or are just interested in competition, here is your chance to learn from my mistakes, make fun of me, have a good laugh and maybe teach me a thing or two.

It all started over a year ago when I met a guy who talked me into joining the local indoor pistol range. The location was very convenient for me and I had also just started reloading. It was fun, making up loads and being able to try them out the next day. He kept telling me how much fun the Thursday night shoots are so finally one night I went to watch. To be honest it was very intimidating. But hey I considered myself a good shot, I had spent countless hours reading stuff on the "net" so I decided to take 2 introductory classes, buy a holster and strap on some cheap mag pouches I had. I took my trusted Wilson Combat 1911, 9mm xtac, or was it a 38 super I dont remember, anyway Rob introduced me as his buddy "a 1911 guy" and there and then I met the nicest men I ever have. They took me under their wing and guided me through every step. I felt pretty good when the timer went off and when the night was over I was strutting pretty good! Raced home to my laptop to see my score...........LAST!
    WHAT? LAST?
    Yep, then and there I realized standing in a booth shooting paper means nothing and its not so much about doing good as it is about learning from the bad. I am sure A LOT of you know what I mean, but lets face it, things happen, its about clearing jams, recovering from dropping a mag and so on.
    I could go on and on about pasting targets, picking up brass and so on but those that know, know and those that dont are more than welcome to talk to me anytime!

So we start with one of my intro classes:

Then I tried the Thursday night at the range! You may notice I started in a 1911, but recently found myself collecting vintage Caspian Race guns in 38 Super so that is what I currently use. there are many "Classes" but most of us just like to see how we finish overall. Seemed the guys with the 9mm carbines always won so some of us started showing up early and setting up stages that were not very friendly for a rifle shooter LOL
    We build 3 stages and there are about 30 guys. Notice how slow I am at the beginning,,,,, still trying to get my big body moving faster every week!

Oh incase you are wondering, now I finish around 15 out of 30 or better.......

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013

3. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  4. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  5. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  6. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013

FWoo45, xerts1191, B81 and 1 other person like this.
  7. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  8. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  9. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  10. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
  11. Maxfield911

Maxfield911 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    I’m going to have to start doing something like like this my self.

12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Looking good! Thanks for sharing.

IMHO, if a person is serious about shooting 1911's (or any firearm for that matter), they really ought to get out and participate in some kind of competition. It's a very sobering and enlightening experience. It forces a person to face their weaknesses and then taunts him into overcoming them.

And it's an excellent way to grow a person's network of friends.

Looking forward to your future updates...

Maxfield911 and villdetwink like this.
  13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Yeah the whole carbine thing is Ghey.

14. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Looks like you are off to a good start tho

15. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Duke, Great Job!!!! You can certainly see the incremental improvement in your comfort level and "muscle memory" and skill level. Inspirational.

DukeSoprano likes this.
  16. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Very awesome. Thanks for sharing @DukeSoprano . I really appreciate it. I'm about to start on this journey myself. I'm building an "Open" Glock 19. Kind of an oxymoron, I know. But it's what I want. At some point I may switch to C.O.
    If you don't mind, what holster are you using?
    It's great to see your transitions speeding up significantly and you move MUCH better from the first to the last video I watched. Congrats and keep up the solid work.

17. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks guys, it is a great time! I use a CR Speed open holster and a Garret Industries Silent thunder for 1911s

18. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    very cool and well beyond my skills. looks like such fun

screw being embarrassed. you did it which is more than most of us ever even try to do. kudos Duke

you always start at the bottom. who cares. you improve and have fun while doing it..again kudos.

great threaD. keep it up Duke

FWoo45, UBOATDOC and DukeSoprano like this.
  19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    The May 9th vid with you shooting a open class pistol with a 'can' on top brought back a lot of memories. Thank you.

I shot USPSA off and on from the mid 80s until the early 2000s. But I'm older now (and 40 lbs heavier) so it is likely a blessing that I don't have a facility near me that has a active USPSA club.

That and I'd have to figure out how to build another race gun, as I only shot open class and wouldn't consider shooting anything else. Never heard of shooting a 'carbine' at a USPSA match either, but then I've been out of this stuff for quite a while now.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. :)

UBOATDOC and boatdoc like this.
  20. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Duke, just curious. What were all the problems with the gun in the May 9 video? Are they reloads? You seemed to have a ton of”bad” rounds. I’ve only shot factory ammo in matches, and every time I see guys with reloads having issues. Just curious if you have diagnosed the problems. Thanks for posting all the videos. Great fun to watch.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted