Ion Bond treatment (barrel) questions

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Renegade4006, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    A pistol was recently listed in the classifieds and one of the options the owner had performed on the unit was an ion bond treatment on the barrel.

I did a search yesterday to try to find info on this treatment. Found some data but still have some questions.

Is the Ion Bond treatment more for cosmetic appeal or does it offer any performance advantages over leaving a barrel in its original stainless steel finish??

Thanks

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  2. Coolsound

Coolsound Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2018
    I have a Volkmann Combat Carry with ion bond barrel. After a few hundreds rounds, there is no sign of wear at all.

cwoods likes this.

3. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I also have a Volkmann with ionbond treatment albeit not on the barrel. It is the most resistant finish I have found as far as wear and rust is concerned.

Some guys Ionbond every part internal on the gun as well as external. I love the stuff and if I had my choice, would have nothing but ionbond if I could.

I made a move last night that would have put a nice idiot scratch on another finish. Nothing, nada, no scratch... I couldn't believe it.

4. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    My Guncrafter has a ion bond barrel. No signs of wear at around 500 rounds

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Except for the springs every part of this gun was finished in Ionbond DLC, including the three barrels. When this pic was taken that barrel had over 3000 rounds through it.
    [​IMG]

6. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Wow, great to hear

7. MSGT2511

MSGT2511 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 14, 2016
    Plus, if I recall correctly (which these days is suspect at best! ;)) the Ion Bond has lubricating properties as well, so on top of a cosmetic, there may be a functional benefit as well. My Ion Bond guns, and barrels, are like the others mentioned here, zero signs of wear after numerous rounds fired, draws, carry, etc.

8. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Think of Ionbond like parkerizing when it comes to lubricity. It absorbs and holds oil very well. There’s a reason why this stuff gets used on race car internals. The wear and lubricity makes it a great firearms finish. Especially for pistol barrels. I wouldn’t want any other finish on a pistol barrel.

Ionbond on stainless is about as good as it gets because you’ll have the wear resistance and lubricity of the finish coupled with the anti corrosion properties of stainless but if used on carbon steel you will need to make sure you keep it well oiled during storage. It can allow rust under the surface.

9. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    If anyone needs any Ionbond work done, we are one of their biggest agents for small custom shop jobs.

10. Mini Me

Mini Me Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Ionbond is a company not a product. :)

11. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Would you prefer I call it TB 40/41 instead? Or PVD....or DLC....

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 25, 2018
    I understand some of those deposition coatings can be applied to non-ferrous materials. How about a Wilson lightweight frame? Is there precedent for that?

13. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Yes. Ionbond can be applied to aluminum. Non anodized aluminum can be run with their normal steel formula. They also have a separate formula for anodized aluminum.

It can also be applied to titanium.

14. Mini Me

Feb 13, 2018
    That would be more accurate. Calling all pvd, dlc, etc ionbond is like call all tissues Kleenex lol...
    Ionbond is a good company but not the only company out there doing premium PVD’s. But I’m sure you already know that

15. mike campbell

mike campbell Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 25, 2018
    Thanks, EA. I'm gonna have to print this thread and Xerox it. :o.o:

Red-5 likes this.
  16. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Right? It seem trivial arguing about it.

Sneaky One likes this.
  17. Mini Me

Feb 13, 2018
    Who is arguing? I stated a fact. Sorry if your offended.

18. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018

I was looking at speccing out a No Name last night. Guncrafter Ind. offers an Ion Bond barrel upgrade option!!!!!. Mini Me, does this mean that Ion Bond is making barrels???

Once you are done with trying to "one up" the Evolution Armory rep then maybe you can take the time to contact Guncrafter and make them aware of your concerns and demand that they change their option offerings.

WoodrowAugustus likes this.
  19. Mini Me

Feb 13, 2018
    Lol relax.im not trying to one up any or discredit anyone, not even sure how anyone got that impression. As a matter of fact my company uses ion bond for products we manufacture so I also have experience with using them and their services. I have no concerns or demands with Guncrafter... I am not sure how such a simple statement can cause so much anger. I thought I was on 1911 addicts discussing guns and coatings, maybe I took a wrong turn and ended up in some snowflake hell :popcorn: so here is some advice... call up ionbond and tell them you want ionbond on your gun and see what their next question will be....

20. Yoemen66

Yoemen66 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Technically EA isn't wrong. Ionbond the brand is what he offers. He doesn't do other DLC coatings. So him referring to it as Ionbond is vorrect actually.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted