1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
3,393 Posts
Ionbond is the only company that applies Ionbond. They don't do any prep or gunsmithing operations there. They have set up a handful of gunsmithing shops to act as shipping agents for them. All prep is done at those shipping agents. We are a shipping agent for the northeast region. The facility in the Carolina's used to handle all gunsmithing work but that has recently changed. Now gunsmithing coating work is handled in Newington NH, 10 miles down the road from us :)

There are other PVD coating companies, but only Ionbond applies Ionbond brand coatings.

·
Deo Volente
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will be getting my next custom bolt gun Ionbonded. I've heard only great stuff from numerous shooters.
You will of course provide us with pictures and all the other sordid details? :grin:

Reactions: Bro. Pappaw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any PVD facility can apply coating to your gun the key is finding one with an FFL.

ION Bond is a company that applies PVD Coating. (Plasma vapor deposition) Each company makes up a recipe for a PVD coating which it names and it really depends on the material you are using and what hardness you are wanting. Typically it is in the 80 Rockwell range. Be sure to check what temperatures they are using for the coating as a temperature that is too high can cause issues.

Don't recommend doing barrel that are 416ss since the application temperature is normally over the annealing temp which can ruin your barrel.

I have a quite a few guns with PVD coating and have a few from ION Bond with the DLC pvd (Diamond like Coating). My 45 ACP has about 90K on it and still has no movement in the slide to frame fit. I have used other companies with good success also since I couldn't get a good turn around time form ION Bond. One gun took 6 months.

Having to prep the gun is a lot different than a coating like Hard Chrome that you normally need to refit after getting it back. We cut our frame/slide tolerance to about .0025 -.0035" since the PVD build up is only about .0002" per side. That amounts up to .0004-.00045" on the frame and the same on the slide for approximately .001" over all.

You can also request that they vapor blast the gun to give it more of a matte finish.

I also coat my TI Comps that I make for the AR and Open Pistols. Cleaning them are quite a bit easier and they don't seem to wear.

My 2 cents worth...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts