1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the idea to purchase a lightweight Commander inf 45acp.

Is there a big enough difference to notice when carrying?

Is the recoil a big difference?

Pics of your lightweight setup?

Any and all feedback will be welcome.

·
Never Forget
9,172 Posts
As long as you're not recoil shy it doesn't make any difference in the world. I can shoot my Glock 36 like a champ, while I see many complaints about it.

The weight difference is noticeable after an all day carry event. Especially if you do a lot of physical activity. Remove the loaded magazine from an all steel Government model and this will essentially give you a nice representation of how it will feel. Doesn't seem like much, but ounces add up.

Both of my primary carry 1911's are lightweight frames. As far as the debate about life span of this type of gun. I will never put enough rounds through the same gun to break one. I like shooting too many different models.

20160527_142219.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Big difference to me... Carried a lightweight 45 for many years after trying out an all still 45.
If you are young and strong you will be able to tolerate and enjoy shooting your lightweight 1911.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
I like the LW for carry but wish it was a full size steel frame when shooting.

Is the recoil gonna hurt? Eh...... Not really. If you practice you can defintley get used to it and it not be a problem. But it is somewhat stout when shooting SD loads in the LW. To me, HST (non +P) is the best for recoil.

If I was carrying a 1911 I would want a LW. I carried one for years. Now I carry Glocks and all but one (G30) are 9mm!

·
Super Moderator
13,612 Posts
When I carry a 1911 it's a LW CCO. My .45 SD load is a 200+P Gold Dot. The recoil doesn't bother me in the least, but my very first handgun was a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag, so moving forward pretty much everything was manageable.
My main carry gun these days is a G30S.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
They are a nice option. I carry a Wiley Clapp Commander these days. I don't think there is that much difference in recoil but you will probably notice the difference in weight if you carry all day. Need a picture. My Clapp is a 2013 and so has the FCS which are gone now in the new ones. Colt (or Talo) has reduced the price on these so now a couple hundred less than mine was in 2013.

On a more economical note Ruger came out with a LW Commander last year and it looks very nice although I have not carried mine yet.

Since I got mine Ruger has come out with an all black version with night sights.

Commanders are a nice compromise between the smaller Defender (3 inch) and larger Gov. (5 inch) using Colt names.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've recently switched to a DW Guardian...
For me, there is a noticeable weight difference, the more active you are, the more you appreciate it..
especially after 12 hr's or so.

The slight recoil difference is no bother, well worth the trade off for weight loss.

I've had back problems for 30 years, in my case, this makes quite a difference.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I've recently switched to a DW Guardian...
For me, there is a noticeable weight difference, the more active you are, the more you appreciate it..
especially after 12 hr's or so.

The slight recoil difference is no bother, well worth the trade off for weight loss.

I've had back problems for 30 years, in my case, this makes quite a difference.

Bingo. This. DW Guardian.

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,927 Posts
I recently received an IWB kydex rig from forum member azpoolguy. I have always used leather, but decided to give kydex a shot. This particular holster is made for a government length, but the Lwt. Commander rides in it just the same. The additional weight of a government size when carrying is barely noticeable, and a good belt helps. I do notice a small difference in recoil when shooting.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
I don't own a LW and have only carried all steel commander-sized pistols. I carry about seven hours a day and weight has never been a problem. However, you should buy what you want. I bought what I did because I like shooting a heavier heater;)

Reactions: TomaHawk

·
Super Moderator
13,612 Posts
I recently received an IWB kydex rig from forum member azpoolguy. I have always used leather, but decided to give kydex a shot. This particular holster is made for a government length, but the Lwt. Commander rides in it just the same. The additional weight of a government size when carrying is barely noticeable, and a good belt helps. I do notice a small difference in recoil when shooting.

Beautiful! :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Only light weight I own is an ECO, and it's not pleasant to shoot IMO. My XD-S is more pleasant to shoot, and I believe it to be lighter.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Being 6'7" and weighing 265 pounds, I don't really need to save the weight that the light frames provide. I do find a officers size grip and short barrel more comfortable while driving or sitting. My latest favorite carry is a Wilson Combat Stealth 45 with steel frame. It is so close in weight to a full size that the weight is not an advantage, but size comfort while seated is for me. Is use a Adams OSB or a Sparks SS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts