1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm always trying to learn new stuff. I want to hear everyone's opinion on everything that relates to my interests.... well, almost everyone.

Naturally, I seek out the opinions and advice of those I feel may have more experience or knowledge than others, whether technical or anecdotal. One of these Gurus I've gotten connected with is a hell of a storyteller, with some interesting insights on gun maintenance and minor mods. He's a Veteran of Foreign Wars, has done a bunch of IDPA stuff, teaches some different classes, and has a collection of rifles and 1911s which would make some of us feel downright rapey. But I really dont know what to think of some of his less orthodox suggestions as pertains to guns.

For example;
  1. He suggested I completely detail strip mu legions, AR15s and other items, completely submerge the parts in a Turkey Roaster filled with Militec or FP and BAKE THEM like that at 250° for a few hours. Including stainless, Nitron and PVD finishes alike.
  2. He told me to store my spare AR BCGs in an old sock soaked with full synthetic 5W30 motor oil in a ziplock bag.
  3. He said the best way to prep stainless for cerakote is to soak it in Pepsi.
  4. He also recommended I train to target shoot pistol with both eyes open, keeping the target in focus and draw down from above until I see exactly what I want to hit no longer obstructed and then squeeze.
So I guess my question is.... is this grizzled old Martha Stewart of Home-Defense Home-Ec a genius, or has he sniffed too many dump fires?

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
With his suggestions above, I would be leery (at best) of his claims/history as well.
Ever seen him shoot? Is he, in fact, a ninja with a firearm?
Personally, I'd thank him for his advice and walk away.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With his suggestions above, I would be leery (at best) of his claims/history as well.
Ever seen him shoot? Is he, in fact, a ninja with a firearm?
Personally, I'd thank him for his advice and walk away.
Oh, he's the legit article, and positively nasty with just about any type of course of fire. I've seen it.

But I guess that's the point of the post... is Highly Skilled / Highly Experienced mutually exclusive of highly Batshit?

Hell no. It's Diet Coke, not Pepsi . . . .
I knew it!! Damn Russians.....

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,320 Posts
Reactions: Pablomigraine

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
But I guess that's the point of the post... is Highly Skilled / Highly Experienced mutually exclusive of highly Batshit?.....
Of course not.

Perhaps emulate his shooting technique/style and forget the rest.

Reactions: Kip and awp101

·
TANSTAAFL
Back on the Beretta Bus
1,801 Posts
Reactions: Kip and WC145

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really the oil soak / bake thing doesn't sound so crazy. Heat the metal just enough to allow microscopic expansion and let the oil in a bit deeper. Maybe for TREATED reciprocating parts like nitrided BCG's etc... definitely not for coated parts. There's some precedent for this.

If you think this is crazy I should tell you about his recommended fitness regimen. It involves frozen turkeys.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really the oil soak / bake thing doesn't sound so crazy. Heat the metal just enough to allow microscopic expansion and let the oil in a bit deeper. Maybe for TREATED reciprocating parts like nitrided BCG's etc... definitely not for coated parts. There's some precedent for this.

If you think this is crazy I should tell you about his recommended fitness regimen. It involves frozen turkeys.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Confirmation bias. He's a good shooter, it's what he's always done, therefore it must be right for everyone.

Then you have what I call the 'Doctor' problem. Being an expert in your field means you are seldom challenged and often called upon to get advice. And because you have a habit of being right in your current field, you have an innate tendency to carry that behavior to other fields, regardless of your actual knowledge. I have listened to a fair number of both Doctors and lawyers explain to me some pretty fantastical theories on root cause analysis of electrical damage to medical equipment with absolute conviction, despite the fact that I am, you know, an Electrical Engineer. Makes me want to offer my own theories in return about neuro-electric heart activity, which while I can brilliantly articulate them with absolute certainty and clarity, are no doubt fundamentally wrong.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got for dealing with experts is to fully consider the source, take what can be useful, and discard the rest.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I figured you to be more of a Dr. Pepper guy ;)
Actually true, Diet Dr. Pepper. Can't stand sugar in carbonated drinks, but love them sweet which relegates me to the world of liquid rat poison, pink, blue, green, or yellow.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,582 Posts
Shooting with both eyes open is a fact, you are not supposed to close one eye. You train your eye to focus mainly on the target and the front sight, and yes pepsi will literally etch SS steel believe it or not and so many people put that **** in their gut. Imagine that. Back in the day Coke was the thing to use, but they have calmed the acidity of that down a bit over the years. The sock and Motor oil is also correct, this is a guy who is old school and just like some old time remedies that many of us may think is BS a bunch of them actually work. Many have gotten written off as old wives tales but, not the case at all... Activate charcoal for stomach ache works in as little as 10 mins. Drinking pickle juice can kill cancer cells. A bunch of stuff one would think is BS is very legit.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I'm always trying to learn new stuff. I want to hear everyone's opinion on everything that relates to my interests.... well, almost everyone.

Naturally, I seek out the opinions and advice of those I feel may have more experience or knowledge than others, whether technical or anecdotal. One of these Gurus I've gotten connected with is a hell of a storyteller, with some interesting insights on gun maintenance and minor mods. He's a Veteran of Foreign Wars, has done a bunch of IDPA stuff, teaches some different classes, and has a collection of rifles and 1911s which would make some of us feel downright rapey. But I really dont know what to think of some of his less orthodox suggestions as pertains to guns.

For example;
  1. He suggested I completely detail strip mu legions, AR15s and other items, completely submerge the parts in a Turkey Roaster filled with Militec or FP and BAKE THEM like that at 250° for a few hours. Including stainless, Nitron and PVD finishes alike.
  2. He told me to store my spare AR BCGs in an old sock soaked with full synthetic 5W30 motor oil in a ziplock bag.
  3. He said the best way to prep stainless for cerakote is to soak it in Pepsi.
  4. He also recommended I train to target shoot pistol with both eyes open, keeping the target in focus and draw down from above until I see exactly what I want to hit no longer obstructed and then squeeze.
So I guess my question is.... is this grizzled old Martha Stewart of Home-Defense Home-Ec a genius, or has he sniffed too many dump fires?
Nope, run like hell or enjoy his stories but I wouldn't take too much as gospel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts