Is it a problem..?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by skipper49, Nov 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    I know what is desirable here in a well tuned extractor, but if you have a new 1911 that does everything right, including feeding everything, great accuracy, and good positive ejection, 3-5’ away, at 3-4:00,
    but, as with many, the last case in the magazine will not eject without the mag inserted, would that be a problem for YOU?
    I know many wouldn’t care if everything else is 100%, and I lean that way. How about you?
    Skip

2. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Does the mag fall out before the last round?

Sapper likes this.

3. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    No, not at all, I was seeing if the last round would eject w/o help from mag.

4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Yep, a problem, since it's not 100%

5. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    There are many that believe the 10-8 extractor test or Vickers test or who ever came up with the no magazine test is not the end all be all in judging the functionality of a 1911.

I have run one of mine 3k rounds without a single failure. I have no idea if it ejects without a magazine in it. Does that mean it’s now reliable?

6. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Yes, it would be a problem for me...

it should not matter...the spent case should still eject whether there is a mag in the gun or not.../ ...I don't know of a 1911 that won't fire and eject the spent case without a mag in the gun...?? What am I missing here...??

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    ^^^^^^ What he said.
    The only scenario I can even think of where I need a 1911 to eject a round after I've dropped the mag is at the end of a match stage where we unload and show clear. And that is a live round manually ejected, so I have no clue what my 1911's would do with empty brass and no mag inserted.

Chalk me up in the "not a problem" column.

8. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I wouldn't worry about it.

9. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    If you're trying to eject a spent case, without the mag inserted, I don't see a problem. It's going to either eject, or drop through the open mag well.
    It's not like you have another round to go in.

As the above poster stated, he has 3000+ through his pistol, and has no idea if it ejects a spent case without the mag inserted.

I wouldn't worry about it.

10. shooter1911

shooter1911 Member

May 16, 2018
    I have never shot a handgun without the magazine inserted so I can't speak from experience, but I was watching a Hickok 45 video recently where this subject came up, and he said it is very normal for any SA handgun to have a FTE in this condition. I never heard that so it was an interesting statement to me.

11. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    It’s funny I was just thinking about this thread.

I was trying to remember if I had ever read that the original design from JMB for Colt was designed to eject without a mag?

Did the FBI trials for the 1911 include ejecting without a magazine in the pistol?

12. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

Mar 10, 2017
    After reading about it, this test was important to me after fitting square bottom firing pin stops and extractors to my 1911's.
    I look at it as possibly exposing an extractor that's operating on the fringe or edge of failure.
    Pedro.

13. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    This still makes no sense to me....

Every 1911 I own ...without a mag in the gun....will fire, extract and eject a round still in the chamber....?? What am I missing....( the slide will not lock back without a mag in the gun.....but that's not the issue the OP is raising ...).... are there really any 1911's that will not fire & extract that round .....

14. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

Mar 10, 2017
    BigJimP, all your extractors are probably tensioned correctly, or at least don't suffer from insufficient tension.
    I think that having the magazine in the gun while firing can mask an extractor with not enough tension by supporting the empty case as it's coming out of the chamber, where as with out the magazine's support the case will fall through the magazine well or jamb as the extractor loses control of it.
    The test exposes a marginally set up or weak extractor.
    Here's an article on it; http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=131
    Pedro.

BigJimP, walleyemonster and JohnK like this.
  15. JohnK

JohnK Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2016
    The extraction function should work independently of the magazine on 1911s. If the magazine has to be part of the equation, the extractor isn't tuned properly. I think marginal function would become more of an issue if you weren't standing flat-footed on a range target shooting without stress and whatever else that may come with it.

BigJimP likes this.
  16. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted