Is it Semi-Custom or, just upgraded?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ORShooter, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    So, I am planning on sending my SA G.I. 5" in for some work. Going to have all the internals replaced, some externals and the ejection port lowered and flared. Will this give me a semi-custom pistol or, just a .45 with some upgrades? First time ever doing this kind of thing to one of my firearms. Normally, I buy a gun, shoot the dickens out of it, and usually move it along for something else.

I am starting to settle down now, and want to have a firearm to keep and this one will be it. I have already sold or traded all my other handguns. Going to 1911's permanently now and will enjoy only buying one type ammo when I go to the sporting goods store!:)

Anyway, just curious to what the 1911 gurus would call my gun. Either way, I'm going to like!:grin:

Jollyroger1 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    These are things I do to a 'stock' firearm just to make it a well functioning/shooting gun. So I'd call it 'upgraded'.

From what I've read here, you have to buy/have built a 1911 with lots of fancy stuff done from a 'known' pistolsmith for it to be called a semi-custom. But that's just the impression I got from reading some of the posts here. :)

EDIT: Oh, and it has to have the pistolsmith's name on it. ;)

Mini Me and ORShooter like this.

3. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Semi custom generally refers to guns from manufacturers like NHC, Wilson, Ed Brown, GI and so on.
    Most of these companies will customize a build to your specs.

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The word "semi-custom" characterizes the builder of your pistol. Its semi-custom in the sense that you have a menu of options to select from when ordering your pistol, but there are limits to what you can get done. It's like ordering a Dell computer. A full custom build means sitting down with a pistol smith, a frame, and a blank piece of paper to write down what you want.

That's my take anyway...

5. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Thanks for the education guys, really appreciate it! I just didn't want to sound like a complete amature by saying the wrong thing if asked by someone at the range about my gun. I'm going to enjoy my "up graded" 1911 to the fullest!:grin:

WhoIsJohnGalt?, wrmiller and Stogies like this.
  6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Your gun will be a custom gun with the work you are having done.

7. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    I agree

8. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I’d call this a “customized gun”, unless you are getting a full “gut and rebuild” and keeping only frame/slide. I have two guns that have been customized by a custom gun builder and I would not call those “custom”.

9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Me, too!

Steve Owens, ORShooter and Stogies like this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Yup.

Steve Owens and ORShooter like this.
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Yep.

Steve Owens and ORShooter like this.
  12. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Upgraded.

But feel free to call it whatever the hell you wish. ;)

13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I stripped my Kimber to a bare frame and slide shortly after buying it, and rebuilt it to my specifications, using a variety of parts from different manufacturers and lots of hand work.

Along with occasional modifications done to it over the years since then. For example, the next mod is a Chen mag well experiment that I'll do next year.

I think of it as a 'one off' that started life as a Kimber, but has turned into a working prototype platform. Or you could call it Frankenstein's Monster.

ORShooter likes this.
  14. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Okay. so what will this box of parts be considered after I send it out and get it back......I know a Parts Gun.

[​IMG]

Karsten

15. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I’d say a Bubba gun, but I recently saw your thread on a custom compensator and that looked great.

wrmiller likes this.
  16. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    As someone else here said, you can call it whatever you want. Who cares what anyone else (myself included) thinks? ;)

17. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Most of the Glocks I have seen that have been "improved" beyond "perfection" I call "sodomized."

Capthobo, FWoo45, tnhawk and 4 others like this.
  18. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Like this one??? ;)

B8B5914A-2D34-412F-8CFA-C760C2A9A518.jpeg

Stogies likes this.
  19. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
  20. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    This one stands out.

DSCF0211.JPG

DSCF0212.JPG

DSCF0213.JPG

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted