Is Lifetime Alignment Service Worth it from your tire store?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Scaramouche, May 16, 2019.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm on my third Toyota Tacoma, and I always get Firestone Destination A/T tires for it as they have proved pretty good in the desert. They seem resistant to cactus, rock cut and all the other debris you encounter travelling the multitude of dirt roads you find pulling you away from the city lights. There are better tires out there, but these work for me.

My Tacomas aren't them full suit 4X4s, lifted, snorkeled rigs set up to take you to Baffin Island and back. They are the plain jane SR5s with the ground clearance that can get you through your basic tank trap and nothing more. The kind of vehicle that relies on the driver using his head for something more than a hat rack. No, I don't do rock crawling. I prefer two wheel drive as it helps tamp down expectations and are better on gas, an important factor when there aint no gas stations and your only carrying three gallons of extra gas & your 69 miles from the nearest filling station.

So yesterday I take my latest Tacoma to the dealer for it's first 5,000 service and they recommend an alignment. Me, I spend more time on dirt roads and outback trails than I do on paved roads, meaning I'm out in the boonies 3 - 4 days a week and sometimes more. Some of the roads you can't travel more than 20 mph without busting up your truck, so you need a good stout tire.

I replaced the factory tires at about 1,000 miles as they exhibited some slip and not enough dig on my normal outback travel routes, sold them for $200 and got creamed for $1000 putting the Destination A/Ts on, plus I got the life time alignment scam, I hate spending money.

Dealer wanted $129.00 for the recommended alignment. I passed and today took the truck to the Firestone store and they did it for "free"...lifetime alignment tacks on a blistering $199.00 on that tire bill when you buy them. I guess it's a good deal as I know I'll need another three alignments before these tires sh!t the bed.

P1050604.JPG
    They don't have that rough tough stance, they look like regular truck tires, quiet on the highway and sweet on the byway. You make your own mind up whether that life time alignment warranty is good for you. That Grand I spent also included "road hazard protection" ($85)...should you shred your tire on the meteorite like desert surface they will give you another tire...which they've done for me on previous trucks...happened twice inside of a month one time.

God Bless America.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    I always buy it!
    I ruined two sets of off road tires from Discount tires.

Colorado Sonny, Kip and Scaramouche like this.

3. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    In your situation he’ll yes it’s worth it. For me, it’s not! But reading your description of your daily usage I would definitely buy it with the tires.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep......i rotate and align every 6-8k

Colorado Sonny and Kip like this.
  5. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
  6. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Definitely worth it,along with the rotation like Bender mentioned.
    Doesn't hurt as bad shelling out a G for four tires when they're ALL running on the wear bars :)

7. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    I do rotate every 5K with my oil change....another thing that goes quickly in this heat is batteries, I usually change them out every three years.

8. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    worth it !

Kip likes this.
  9. Maxfield911

Maxfield911 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    It’s worth it as long as they are doing a full alignment and not just toe and go.

10. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I don't usually purchase it as most of my driving is highway . I have a 4-wheel drive GMC with 235,000 miles on it . I buy Michelins and get between 92-96000 miles out of a set with no rotation . If I lived in a hot desert area with rocks and cactus my choices would likely be different . Just my .02

11. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I drive mine off road in some pretty ugly stuff plus spend a lot of time on the highway. No I do not a waste of money for me. Mine are mostly 3/4 trucks with a few half tons as well.

12. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Last set I bought I was still at a shop.
    Align,rotate cost me an hour or two of my time.
    Now,no longer at that shop.
    Now I have to pay.
    If you think you can get full life out of a set of tires on ONE alignment...yeah, your wrong.
    Roads around here,well,they suck.
    Some rival my friggin driveway,and yeah it affects things in your suspension big time.
    Yeah,I drive a pick up,wrenched mainly 3/4-1 ton trucks...they ain't bullet-proof.
    Still mumble "needs ball joints." in my sleep

13. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I would have thought that was 4-wheel drive by the pic. I like the look of it.

14. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Once we start paying tolls the roads will get better.
    :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

FWoo45 and Kip like this.
  15. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Now I almost spit out my coffee!!:roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

Colorado Sonny and Cop_Out like this.
  16. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I quit buying 2 wheel drive trucks when I got stuck on a patch of ice the size of a trash can lid in a parking lot. Front wheels against the curb, drive tire on ice. Other tire on dry pavement and yet couldn’t get the vehicle to budge.
    Never again I said

17. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    ^ Yep, 4x2 on a truck is like a boob without a nipple. Wrong.

Nevertheless congrats on your recent tire related adventures :thumbs:

18. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    I'll keep that in mind the next time I get stuck in a parking lot.

Kip and FWoo45 like this.
  19. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well and mine are lifted slightly (past ones when I was young and stupid 6 inches and running 900hp dual turbos, ATS transmissions 5 disk TQ converters and propane injection)and run bigger heavier tires. Have owned as close as I can tell 20 of so trucks and jeeps some were worse much worse about holding an alignment. My current truck a 2018 F250 4x4, 6.7 Platinum BDS 2.5 level, 325/60-20 BFG KM3's (2nd set on this truck only run to half depth before taking off) and dual Fox stabilizers help the beating and checked at 25k and was spot on from where it was set when the lift was done new.

That being said next weekend at the ranch may knock it out lol. With as much highway driving as I do --- picky is not the word. HATE with a passion the "pull" of an out of alignment front end.

Scaramouche likes this.
  20. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    I think the lifetime alignment is well worth it where you drive on unpaved roads. You will pay for parts and labor to bring your truck to the point where it can be aligned.

Tires, check that warranty as it may not cover off road "abuse". I go with Big-O tires as they have never given me any static on replacing tires.

Scaramouche likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted