1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read an online article by GunsAmerica Digest that stated STI guns is now "Staccato" firearms, and their models are simply a letter of the alphabet (i.e. C, P, R, XL, etc... much like Glock uses only numbers, I guess). There was also a rumor posted on another forum that they're now using MIM parts, although we have not been able to get the OP to list his source to confirm. Regardless, many on that forum are not happy with the direction that STI has taken.

It appears their lineup has shifted from race pistols to duty and carry, apparently targeting LE, Government and personal self-defense buyers. Is the name change an attempt to distance themselves from the image of a competition pistol manufacturer? Does it have anything to do with the Strayer/Tripp patent expiring?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I’m still waiting on more details to come out but I very highly doubt that S.... (whatever their name is) is or is going to use MIM parts.

The person who said that has been spouting a bunch of uneducated information and is very against the company that now owns STI. Just because venture capital has entered the company it doesn’t mean that the company is going downhill. In fact I think it’s given the company more direction and is striving for higher quality.

And the comments about S..... moving away from competition guns just makes sense as a company. You have to crunch the numbers and if your making a model or line that isn’t selling then why are you wasting your time. It’s like if ford was still making the model T, there’s no point in wasting resources and production facilities. The LE and gun guys like us are a greatly more vast market than the niche competition world.

People are loosing their mind that they are not producing guns in 45acp. They sold slightly over 100 guns last year in 45 compared to 1000’s in 9. It doesn’t make sense to keep inventory and waste production resources making guns that don’t sell. They can barely keep up with demand as it is. They’ve said they are watching the market and if demand dictates they’ll make guns again in 45.

·
Premium Member
5,056 Posts
Descartian,
I hope you are correct sir. After reading all the good about STI Firearms and waiting a good long time, I just put a deposit down last week on a new Staccato "R" 9mm. I'd hate to find out that I'm spending 2K on a firearm that has just went downhill.

Please keep us informed sir. Thanks.

Jim D. - BCD 45
SE Texas

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well, one of the reasons I didn't buy one in the past few years was the lack of a .45 single stack. I'm not an LEO, and the odds of getting in a firefight requiring over 8 rounds are pretty slim - and I carry spare mags if I do. They're following the same market as everyone else - I get it - and right now, LEO's and Mil have made 9mm hot again "because ballistics have improved". I've read all the hype, scrolled through the claims....an' still carry a .45 on the hip - 9mm is my backup pocket gun.

·
Premium Member
5,056 Posts
Well the "R" is a single stack 5" and it comes in .45 also. I just hope that the quality is still there.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well the "R" is a single stack 5" and it comes in .45 also. I just hope that the quality is still there.
Exactly - 5" an' with a rail. I CC 75% of the time, and don't need a rail OR the extra length. I own a pair of Elektra's (among other STI compacts) that are for my EDC - my wife has one, as well (in a color guaranteed that I'll NEVER try to carry it...lol). 5 years ago, they had a LOT more options out there - but, as I said, I get it - they're following the market. When it comes right down to it, I don't really need to buy another .45 in my lifetime.....but there's still some empty spots in one of the safes!

Shelving Shelf Collection Tool Toolroom
Collection Shotgun

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Hi,
The 45 Auto, is the greatest CQB pistol cartridge, in the World today.

Can't beat the Old Master! View attachment 413889
Please remember Mr. Browning also created the 38 Auto (original 38 super) for the browning M1900 in 1897 which compared to modern 9mm has the same ballistics if not slightly less than modern 9mm.

I believe it was the military that wanted the 45 (and the grip safety).

So I’d say the 38 Super would have been John’s choice.

·
Nothing comes to mind
877 Posts
I decided to sign on and start carrying STI after SHOT show this year once I had a chance to ask them about all of this stuff face to face. Also, Tony Pignato did a 2 hour Facebook live about a week ago covering most of the rumors out there. What I took from it was this:

1. No MIM parts- business as usual there

2. They moved to the Staccato line and away from the "race guns" specifically to appeal to the mass market (for carry, duty, etc) and in big part because from a capacity standpoint, they can't keep up with demand for the Staccato line. He left the door open that they might end up back there in the future, but the current lineup is where they want to be.

3. The name thing- He basically said that they are transitioning away from the STI name but there wasn't a definitive timeline given. He said it had more to do with the letters STI now being officially the designation for STD's etc (sexually transmitted infection). I guess when you are looking at creating brand awareness outside of the guys who already know what an STI (the gun) is, and trying to appeal to new shooters that don't know about the race gun world, calling yourself an S.T.I. might not be the best thing.

4. The warranty buzz- He read the warranty off their website verbatim. Basically, they warrant the gun for lifetime for the original owner assuming you don't tinker with it and modify it yourself. So, if you put a metal grip on, warranty is voided for example. At first, I thought this was a little harsh, but then I thought about the bigger market and it kind of makes sense. If you buy a Glock, swap out the factory frame for a lonewolf, swap out the internals for Zev, and then the gun doesn't work, you don't get to send it back to Glock and claim warranty issues.

So, that's my 2 cents
-T

·
Registered
354 Posts
3. The name thing- He basically said that they are transitioning away from the STI name but there wasn't a definitive timeline given. He said it had more to do with the letters STI now being officially the designation for STD's etc (sexually transmitted infection).
LOL! Yeah, my much younger girlfriend chuckled when I started expressing interest in an “STI.” Only then did it hit me that it might be an awkward name for the mainstream public, which is clearly a large part of their target market now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Exactly - 5" an' with a rail. I CC 75% of the time, and don't need a rail OR the extra length. I own a pair of Elektra's (among other STI compacts) that are for my EDC - my wife has one, as well (in a color guaranteed that I'll NEVER try to carry it...lol). 5 years ago, they had a LOT more options out there - but, as I said, I get it - they're following the market. When it comes right down to it, I don't really need to buy another .45 in my lifetime.....but there's still some empty spots in one of the safes!

View attachment 413919 View attachment 413921

WOW, I'm doing something wrong...

Impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
MY STI is a dedicated USPSA Limited gun. It is a fine pistol, glad I bought it.
I am not a prospect for a John Wick movie prop.
Have you seen or handled a Combat Master in person? It’s a collaboration between Taran Tactical and STI. It’s finely crafted weapon not a movie prop. Are you going to poopoo the Glocks, Kimbers, AR-15’s and Benelli’s because they were used in the movie as well?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Back when i was shooting USPSA Limited division I was never impressed with the factory STI’s. They always seemed like a base gun that you would have a smith of your choosing build upon. I haven’t handled any in the last couple years so they may have changed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just miss the old, lesser known STI. I have 11 STIs (only 1 being a 2011) and I liked the diversity of their offering. I have factory polished blue/cerakoted/hard chromed STIs and now they offer whatever you want as long as it's black and Staccato.

I totally understand why the investment firm is doing what they are doing but I don't have to like it.
I hope STI wins in the marketplace and thrives. I just know that DW must have been salivating once STI got out of the traditional 1911 market. They have been spewing lesser quality questionable stainless 1911s before STI got out and even more so now.

And to me, shooting a 1911 in 9mm is like shooting 22lr. I really don't care for it. 10 of the 11 STIs I have are 45acp or 10mm. The poor tactical SS 5.0 in 9mm just sits in the back of the safe.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I used to be a staunch .45 man; I went for several years that I could actually place better on average in IDPA with a .45 CDP than a 9mm ESP or SSP, extra shots and less recoil notwithstanding.
But arthritis and tattered nerves have made me go looking for that "shooting like .22" feel.
My last .45 was The Buzzard - a local shop assembled gun of STI 2011 Eagle configuration. I shoot it some with powderpuff loads, just to keep it and the single stack and the Dillon feeding them in use.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts