Springfield Armory Is the SA Pro "all that"?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Doc45, Jun 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    There is no “history” to the SA brand.

They took the name of a long defunct national armory as a brand name; which means nothing. Rather like “George Washington” coffee, or maybe “Thomas Jefferson” popcorn. Damn...

zChambers and AZ Husker like this.
  2. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    My experience is similar to some who've posted already. Love the strictly business but totally dialed look and feel of them. I had a 3-digit s/n Pro that I picked up for $2000. I wish I hadn't let it go.

I personally wouldn't give over $2k for one, with the one exception of an Addict on here with a 082 s/n Pro, which is my birth year, and I'd give almost anything for that one if the gentlemen ever put it up.

3. Jameeson

Jameeson Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I'll play....and I think they are. I've noticed they tend to hold value better than some other 1911's in the same price ranges.
    They obviously have a cool factor ;) and I think people like that pros are built to more of a hardcore spec and have a legitimate operating history that keeps demand for them healthy.

Can you spec a gun more to your liking for equal or better quality for 3K? Probably so.
    But it's just personal preference; I have sold 2 wilson's, a couple STI's and Colts, but the pro LR is still my favorite blaster.

and what is a thread with out at least one pic.....

IMG_7557.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Whiskey Sour likes this.
  4. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    It is, "All That." and a "Bag of Crisps." :roflmaro:

5. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Rick McC:
    I think the history being referred to is that the PRO was spec'ed, tested, purchased and used by the FBI..........
    No other pistol to my knowledge has that "History"..........JMHO.
    TR

6. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    My thoughts on my late Gubment contract Pro.
    It is not what, in my limited experience, I'd call hard fit. Firm maybe? It definitely takes more effort to rack than my TRP.
    The sear spring is coated with the same Black T as the rest of the gun which helps but they do not radius the tips of the leaves. I could feel this and it is an easy fix. The trigger had more roll than I'm used to and I reduced it. These are subtle and personal impressions.
    SA did not radius the bottom of the plunger detent on the thumb safety and it was hanging up occasionally. Not subtle and the only legitimate complaint on this nice pistol.
    The provenance is pretty cool and it is a nice gun. Is it worth retail price and the wait? That is up to you. Mine was a used 95% pistol and $2,500. Not a great buy but fair, IMO.
    I have upgraded the grips and sights but that is a personal preference decision.

Austin_TX and simonp like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted