Is there a good quality 1911 in .22 lr?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Blue Ridge, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The one by Armscor seems to have the highest price point I found on the 'net, but that doesn't always tell the whole story. Does one even exist with full steel construction, a good (or upgradable) trigger, decent parts, etc.? The feedback from 1911's in .22lr has been surprisingly good here and elsewhere on the net, so I'm considering one. I only like to cry once, though.

2. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Can't decide if I won't a pure .22lr 1911 or get a conversion slide. :02:

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    An all steel upper might be a too heavy for the caliper.

Hilton Yam is running a Nighthawk upper, designed by Bob Marvel, and Hilton is liking it.

If you want a full complete gun, than I'm having good luck with my GSG 1911-22. I look at it as a training tool with cheap ammo. The 22's are a little more finicky, so I'm working on my skill of clearing malfunctions and getting it back "in action".

4. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Steel might be asking too much, but I'd ideally want at least an alloy that is stronger metal and won't wear like a Umarex slide when contacting the other, harder parts. The whole point of getting a 1911 in .22 would be to shoot the fire out of it.

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
  6. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Why not a Colt Ace

7. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    My vote would be for a conversion kit, then you're practicing with your same frame (trigger, grips/texturing, thumb/grip safeties, etc.).

I'd go for either an Advantage Arms, Tac-Sol, or the already mentioned Nighthawk kit. The NH kit is undergoing some additional testing and I was told will be for sale in January timeframe again.

8. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Look at a Marvel Precision Unit 1, mine drives tacks.

9. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    How's the reliability ?

DAT85

10. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a Kimber conversion kit, it is a tad picky on what ammo it eats, it loves CCI Mini Mags and Aguila ammo. it doesn't like the Wal Mart value packs from Federal and Remington.

11. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Mine is perfect. I'll run several thousand rounds between cleanings.

12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Just buy a GSG and you have a whole new gun that is a blast to shoot. The Sig is a GSG with different markings. I love mine. Goes to the range every time I shoot.

Fatbob Frank likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted