1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the idea is that you contribute and not just use the site as a flea market. Probably to also build up some points of being a “real” person and, not that this is you of course, have people pop in, scam someone or pull some silly move and disappear. Its like a built in waiting period. i personally am happy I can’t post there yet because there are a few I may have unloaded the wallet on!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I understand their reasoning, but it's about to bite me in the backside. There's something currently for sale in the classifieds for which I'm in the market and it would save me about $100, but I can neither reply to the advert or PM the seller.

Not complaining, mind you. It is what it is. But it's a bit annoying ;)

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I understand their reasoning, but it's about to bite me in the backside. There's something currently for sale in the classifieds for which I'm in the market and it would save me about $100, but I can neither reply to the advert or PM the seller.

Not complaining, mind you. It is what it is. But it's a bit annoying ;)
You also have to take into consideration that you saving $100 might not be worth the risk for the guy selling the item. Being a newbie with zero post count and no history on this forum Does not breed confidence for the seller.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You also have to take into consideration that you saving $100 might not be worth the risk for the guy selling the item. Being a newbie with zero post count and no history on this forum Does not breed confidence for the seller.
Understand entirely. Like I said: I understand the reasons for the rules and I'm not complaining, per se. Just noting the unfortunate circumstance for your's truly :)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I am a lurker. I didn't want to post for the sake of posting just to be able to use the classifieds. I just happened to be looking through the classifieds and saw someone was selling a number of magazines at what to me seemed like a good deal.

I'll go ahead and make a few posts and try to be more active on the forum. I just don't due to work and family time constraints, I don't even get to the range as much as I used to. In any case, as someone stated above, for now at least its keeping from abusing my wallet.

·
Registered
Wilson Sentinel compact, Ed Brown Kc9, Nighthawk T4
653 Posts
I am not one to side step the classified section rules, as they are in place for a reason...
Though you can tag the seller @whathisname in your thread, it will send them an alert.
...and if they wish to do business with you, then they can proceed with sending you a PM.
We have all been there I am new as well and I was crying in my cheerios on day 14 when I saw something pop up that I couldnt live without at a price I couldnt believe . Then when someone else purchased it I was bummed. I completely understand the reasoning - too many dbags out there trying to turn and burn a scam on someone.
stay active in the forum and the time will pass and you will learn a lot . My advice dont even look at the classifieds till your probation time is up.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts
We have all been there I am new as well and I was crying in my cheerios on day 14 when I saw something pop up that I couldnt live without at a price I couldnt believe . Then when someone else purchased it I was bummed. I completely understand the reasoning - too many dbags out there trying to turn and burn a scam on someone.
stay active in the forum and the time will pass and you will learn a lot . My advice dont even look at the classifieds till your probation time is up.
Trust me, you'll be better off never looking at the classifieds. A large number of my guns, knives, misc holsters and accessories, and watches came frome here. It can get expensive in a hurry!

·
Registered
Wilson Sentinel compact, Ed Brown Kc9, Nighthawk T4
653 Posts
Trust me, you'll be better off never looking at the classifieds. A large number of my guns, knives, misc holsters and accessories, and watches came frome here. It can get expensive in a hurry!
I agree I have already spent way too much on grips, holsters , mags and pistols in the last couple weeks ! Yikes I got to stop before I have to re-mortgage my house LOL

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,431 Posts
We've all been there. It's just another one of those paying your dues things. There are several people on here that I'll do business with because I've seen them around forever and have built up that trust that long-time connection builds. Pay your dues. It works out in the long run.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Think of it as a really close knit gun club made up of ridiculously knowledgeable shooters who will sometimes buy, trade, and sell to each other. If you’re not so much looking to join a club of enthusiasts, then GB is your better fit.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts
Think of it as a really close knit gun club made up of ridiculously knowledgeable shooters who will sometimes buy, trade, and sell to each other. If you’re not so much looking to join a club of enthusiasts, then GB is your better fit.
Great way to put it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I am a lurker. I didn't want to post for the sake of posting just to be able to use the classifieds. I just happened to be looking through the classifieds and saw someone was selling a number of magazines at what to me seemed like a good deal.

I'll go ahead and make a few posts and try to be more active on the forum. I just don't due to work and family time constraints, I don't even get to the range as much as I used to. In any case, as someone stated above, for now at least its keeping from abusing my wallet.
I believe you could just PM the seller. Am I mistaken here?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I believe you could just PM the seller. Am I mistaken here?
We were getting spammed hard, right in the pm’s, by a brother with a friend whose neighbor’s cousin had something to sell. We just had to respond privately to them out of the country for them to hook us up.

Admins put a stop to that abuse post haste. You cannot PM a seller on this forum until you’ve met the membership requirements to do so.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Think of it as a really close knit gun club made up of ridiculously knowledgeable shooters who will sometimes buy, trade, and sell to each other.
I understand how that works. I'm not here for the buy & sell forums. I'm here because I've become something of a 1911 addict :)

TBH: I rarely pay much heed to classifieds in any forum in which I have membership. The items in question simply happened to pop up in the "new" posts listing, happened to be something I need, and would have saved me a bundle of cash.

I wouldn't have even mentioned it had somebody else not started a thread.

You cannot PM a seller on this forum until you’ve met the membership requirements to do so.
Yup. Besides: To save buyers and sellers confusion and misunderstanding: On the very rare occasions I do wish to entertain an offer of something for sale my personal policy is to post "I'll take it" in the sale thread. I couldn't do that, so, even could I have PM'd the seller, I would not have gone that way.

Nor was I interested in working-around the site's policies by tagging the seller in this thread or elsewhere. Working around a site's policies is a good way to annoy site management. I try to avoid annoying my hosts. Don't always succeed ;), but I try.

In the end I'll be out $60-$80. It's $60-$80 I would have been "out" had I never joined here, had the seller never listed here what he did, had I never noticed the listing, had I had the opportunity but been too slow, had the seller felt "You're too new & I don't know you," etc., anyway. It would have been nice to save the money, but it's not the end of the world :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Working I try to avoid annoying my hosts. Don't always succeed ;), but I try.

No one with good intentions is going to annoy our hosts. I’d have been thrown out by the seat of my pants by now if it were that easy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts