1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, newb here with a question. I've attached a close-up of the face of the hammer on my 45acp Auto-Ordnance 1911. The hammer is aftermarket and I'm not sure what brand/make it is, but it only has between 3000-3500 rounds on it. The firing pin is a Wilson's Combat stainless and it appears to be creating (mashing) a hollow or a pit on the hammer.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not this was normal? If not, I have a Wilson's hammer waiting in my eBay watch list :) Thanks for your time.

Attachments

Reactions: xerts1191

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I showed the picture of your hammer to my dog, he said it looks "ruff" and would change it out. I agree with him. I personally would be looking for a "drop in" ignition kit which would replace the sear and disconnect also, but then again what do I know I listen to my dog.

·
What me worry ?
11,323 Posts
I showed the picture of your hammer to my dog, he said it looks "ruff" and would change it out. I agree with him. I personally would be looking for a "drop in" ignition kit which would replace the sear and disconnect also, but then again what do I know I listen to my dog.
Smart dog !

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
I'm not a metallurgist but, it would seem, as others have stated, the hammer metal is softer than the stainless firing pin. I too, would swap out the ignition system all together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input and your time. I just ordered a Wilson Combat Ultralight Skeletonized "BulletProof" model blued hammer so I expect it will last a little longer. I tried to post a link to eBay but I don't think I've been a member long enough to post links.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,150 Posts
Look that new hammer over closely before you install it. I'd recommend comparing it very closely to the hammers you'll find on shopwilsoncombat.com.

Ebay (and Amazon) are both known to have lots of BS fakes of name brand gun parts.

Reactions: BenchMonkey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good advice Greg45acp, I ALWAYS buy from Hooper Gun Works, so far so good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts