close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Dave T, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I carried one form of 1911 or other for all but the first 9 months of my LEO career and continued to carry them since retiring and most of the 10 years I ran my own fire arms training business. For those few years I wasn't wearing some kind of Colt 1911 IWB I was still carrying a 45 ACP, but it was a Glock (G30, G36 and occasionally a G21). One of the big appeals of the Glock was that I could do all the work needed or wanted on it without any machine tools or special training. Everything is drop in parts and they are available everywhere and are relatively economical.

I still prefer the 1911 pattern for carry, range and home defense. The biggest detraction to the 1911 is the requirement to enlist the services of a gun smith, and generally a good one, to make any modifications to your pet 1911...other than screwing on a different set of stocks or replacing the main spring housing.

I can't help but wonder if would ever be possible to design a 1911 that would take drop in parts, after market accessories and replacement sights like the Glocks do? Being able to buy a stock, plain-jane 5" gun and swap out sights, barrels, ignition components, safeties, etc. would make me give up ever buying combat Tupperware again. (smile)

Dave

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    yep, that's why the original 1911's were rattle traps, you could take 10 apart, throw them in a box and re-assemble them and have a functioning gun.

now if you are talking about current day 1911's with the tighter fit, then there will have to be a standard spec in order for parts to be interchangeable without fitting.

3. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    There already are drop in ignition kits and the like. Go to Cylinder and Slides website. Almost any (but not every) part on a 1911 you can find a drop in for, it just may not be fit as tighly as you would want. Try Brownells or Midwayusa. The problem is the design of the 1911. It is just not as easy to replace parts as a Glock and never will be.

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    with the C&S kit though, you will have to re-fit the thumb safety and adjust the over-travel.

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    The problem is that there are SO MANY different manufactures of 1911s so it's hard to keep all of them within specs. QC within one company is hard enough, trying to have every manufactures to have the same specs is a little tougher.

Glocks are nice because it's produce by ONE company. While aftermarket parts are out there, they're working off of a Glock spec.

6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Yup, exactly.

If the Glock were a hundred years old and manufactured by fifty different companies, the parts wouldn't be so "drop in"! :smilie:

Andy

7. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    You guys aren't telling me anything I don't already know. Guess I was thinking more along the lines of some manufacturer coming out with a 1911 that had its own line of accessories so the specifications would be known and the kind of consistency needed could be maintained. You would buy a basic model, then get what ever sights, trigger, hammer, mainspring housing, etc. you wanted and just plug them in...or replace something worn or broken.

Just thought it was an interesting idea to contemplate.

Dave

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    that would be a Kimber if anything.

9. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Low Speed, High Drag

Aug 19, 2011
    That's kinda the theory with cabotguns.com but only time will tell. They would be off to a better start if they were half as spendy.

10. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Low Speed, High Drag

Aug 19, 2011
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted